Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 16:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICE Upgrade for the Nissan Sunny

Hi. I want to upgrade the ICE in my Nissan Sunny and need advice. Its a long complex post to please bear with me, I am supremely confused.

p.s. I have an old JBL bass tube I have lying around which I can use (JBL, 2 Sub Woofers, integrated amplifier)

My Requirements:

1) Good sound at medium volume
2) OE Steering Remote MUST work.
3) Bluetooth Handfree Intergration
4) USB Compatibility
5) Reverse Camera Intergration into HU (If possible)

My options (according to my ICE guy)

1) Keep OEM HU + Buy Jabra Freeway + Run 4 component speakers through the OEM HU
2) Keep OEM HU + Buy Jabra Freeway + Run 4 component speakers via 4 channel amplifier through OEM HU
3) Keep OEM HU + Buy Jabra Freeway + Run 4 component speakers via 4 channel amplifier + JBL Bass Tube through OEM HU
4) Upgrade HU + Run 4 component speakers via 4 channel amplifier + JBL Bass Tube + Some special connector through which the steering remote remains operational.

Which of the 4 options would the gurus recommend?

My Queries

1) Is it possible / advisable to run amplifiers + 4 speakers though the OEM HU? Is there a convertor required for this and whats the cost for this convertor?
2) Is it possible to run a bass tube through the OEM HU? My ICE guy says it is, but as per my knowledge, a seperate subwoofer pre out is advisable.
3) What is this connector for the steering remote? How much should this cost?
4) Which HU + Which Speakers?
5) If I do go for an HU Upgrade, should I buy one with 3 RCA outs?

Thank you for reading.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 17:13   #2
BHPian

Re: ICE Upgrade for the Nissan Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
1) Is it possible / advisable to run amplifiers + 4 speakers though the OEM HU? Is there a convertor required for this and whats the cost for this convertor?
2) Is it possible to run a bass tube through the OEM HU? My ICE guy says it is, but as per my knowledge, a seperate subwoofer pre out is advisable.

Thank you for reading.
3.) BEFORE you go with this option; make sure that the accessory is available, it may prove to be very difficult to source.
4.) please specify budget and mention the kind of music you normally listen to OR the kind of sound you expect from the set up; there are various options available.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
3.) BEFORE you go with this option; make sure that the accessory is available, it may prove to be very difficult to source.
4.) please specify budget and mention the kind of music you normally listen to OR the kind of sound you expect from the set up; there are various options available.
Music: No particular genre. Little bit of rock, trance, desi remixes etc.

I need a decent sounding system. Clarity and sound quality over volume. The bass tube for me is free since I already own it. I might install it and might not, depending on what would sound better/more balanced.

Budget : No hard and fast budget. Just should not be too expensive/wasteful.
Old 11th April 2012, 09:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
4) Upgrade HU + Run 4 component speakers via 4 channel amplifier + JBL Bass Tube + Some special connector through which the steering remote remains operational.

An HU with 3 pre outs would solve a lot but your car wont look stock. If the stock look is not very important then go right ahead. JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine all make HUs with 3 pre outs. Get one that suits your budget and taste. Current Favourites are Kenwood's 8016BT, JVC's 826BT, Pioneer's 8350SD.

If these are too much then get a model lower like the the Kenwood 6046 or Pioneer 6450BT.

If you run your 4 ch. amp and subwoofer amp from the OEM HU you will not be able to control the level of the subwoofer from your dash (unless you get a subwoofer amp that has a independant level control which you will have to install in yor dash). You can set the gain of the subwoofer amp but that's all the control you will get if your subwoofer amp does NOT have a subwoofer level control.

If we know your taste in music, budget and SPL requirements we can recommend speakers. Generally if you are looking at the HUs' mentioned above I'd recommend Rainbow, Infinity, Morel, Auditor/Focal.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 11:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If the stock look is not very important then go right ahead.
Stock look is not important.

Quote:
If you run your 4 ch. amp and subwoofer amp from the OEM HU you will not be able to control the level of the subwoofer from your dash
Will the OEM HU be able to support a 4 ch. amp+ subwoofer amp? Will the Sound Quality suffer due to the HU?

Also, how does one connect the amps to the OEM HU? Some kind of convertor?

Quote:
If we know your taste in music, budget and SPL requirements we can recommend speakers.
Music: No particular genre. Little bit of rock, trance, desi remixes etc.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:08   #6
BHPian

I would suggest to go step by step. Audition the components and get them installed. If you are not happy with the output, change the HU and add an amp. Add a sub if you feel lack of bass.

With a new HU you could have components at front, co-axials at rear. You can power the sub and front co-ax with a 4 channel amp and the rear co-ax directly with the HU.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:16   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will the OEM HU be able to support a 4 ch. amp+ subwoofer amp? Will the Sound Quality suffer due to the HU?
Yes the OEM unit will support a 4 ch. amp and subwoofer amp BUT you will have no in cabin control over the subwoofer level. Many find this control essential as we often need to turn the subwoofer up or down depending on the music we are listening to.

Your amps will be connected to the OEM HU via a speaker level to line level adapter. This can work but these adapters often allow for alternator whine to enter the system so you need a careful install and your installer needs to test various adapters to find one that is silent.

In a practical sense (with traffic, road and wind noise, and in car conversation) you will not notice much degradation of the sound quality (espcially with sub-128k MP3 or FM) per se but yes if you are idling the car on a quiet night the difference between a OEM+line level adapter vs a Pioneer/JVC HU with preamp outs will be very aparent (again more aparent with CD or lossless music than with FM etc..).
Old 11th April 2012, 13:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the OEM unit will support a 4 ch. amp and subwoofer amp BUT you will have no in cabin control over the subwoofer level. Many find this control essential as we often need to turn the subwoofer up or down depending on the music we are listening to.

Your amps will be connected to the OEM HU via a speaker level to line level adapter. This can work but these adapters often allow for alternator whine to enter the system so you need a careful install and your installer needs to test various adapters to find one that is silent.

In a practical sense (with traffic, road and wind noise, and in car conversation) you will not notice much degradation of the sound quality (espcially with sub-128k MP3 or FM) per se but yes if you are idling the car on a quiet night the difference between a OEM+line level adapter vs a Pioneer/JVC HU with preamp outs will be very aparent (again more aparent with CD or lossless music than with FM etc..).
Thanks for the reply.

Now lets approach the problem from another angle. How to we make a Aftermarket HU read and respond to the steering mounted remote?
Old 11th April 2012, 13:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now lets approach the problem from another angle. How to we make a Aftermarket HU read and respond to the steering mounted remote?
There are harnesses for many cars that allow this. Dont know if one is available for the Sunny though. I would ask the Nissan dealer.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are harnesses for many cars that allow this. Dont know if one is available for the Sunny though. I would ask the Nissan dealer.
If I dont get the harness, are the infrared remote system advisable?
Old 11th April 2012, 13:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I dont get the harness, are the infrared remote system advisable?
You mean an infra red adapter to control the HU? Well why not. They are not as comfortable as the steering wheel remote but they are better than nothing. In the old days Pioneer, Alpine, etc.. used to make adapters that culd be clipped to the steering wheel. Dont know if they still do.
Old 11th April 2012, 14:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean an infra red adapter to control the HU? Well why not. They are not as comfortable as the steering wheel remote but they are better than nothing. In the old days Pioneer, Alpine, etc.. used to make adapters that culd be clipped to the steering wheel. Dont know if they still do.
Actually I meant something similar to http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SWI-JACK-S...132989&sr=8-16
Old 11th April 2012, 14:08   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually I meant something similar to http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SWI-JACK-S...132989&sr=8-16
Sorry, I have never used one of these but the words "Splicing required" leave me wondering. I'd PM on of the Gurus and ask.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... "Splicing required" ...
Would definitely need to tap into the harness to access key presses - steering wheel controls are usually resistor network + key based. For 'tapping' into the harness, one has to cut & peel insulation of the harness wires, and connect the supplied bunch of wires.

The box that comes with it (where the big black connector connects) would be converting each key press to signals on the jack (on the black wire coming out of the box) suitable for each brand of HU it connects to.
Old 10th August 2012, 14:26   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Hi. I want to upgrade the ICE in my Nissan Sunny and need advice. Its a long complex post to please bear with me, I am supremely confused.

p.s. I have an old JBL bass tube I have lying around which I can use (JBL, 2 Sub Woofers, integrated amplifier)

My Requirements:

1) Good sound at medium volume
2) OE Steering Remote MUST work.
3) Bluetooth Handfree Intergration
4) USB Compatibility
5) Reverse Camera Intergration into HU (If possible)

My options (according to my ICE guy)

1) Keep OEM HU + Buy Jabra Freeway + Run 4 component speakers through the OEM HU
2) Keep OEM HU + Buy Jabra Freeway + Run 4 component speakers via 4 channel amplifier through OEM HU
3) Keep OEM HU + Buy Jabra Freeway + Run 4 component speakers via 4 channel amplifier + JBL Bass Tube through OEM HU

Which of the 4 options would the gurus recommend?

My Queries

Thank you for reading.
Hi AbhiJ,
Have you already taken your ICE as mentioned?

Have you ever thought of CASKA?

I think CASKA Multimedia & Navi-System may be suitable for you since the system offers huge 8" Touch screen and support steering audio remote, Reverse camera, 4 Speakers, USB, Bluetooth all you mentioned in your requirement and also DVD player, video-in/out, AM&FM, 2D/3D MMI Navigation Map of India, etc. But is it costly - nearly 52K with camera (without speakers).

It is available with OEM looks and is fantastic.

A photo of CASKA on my City Corporate Edition (which has no music system) is here below.

ICE Upgrade for the Nissan Sunny-100_0826_ce.jpg

2 pairs of speakers - Kenwood KFC M1632A (260W with Woofers, Mid-ragne and Tweeters in-built having frequency response from 35 Hz to 25000 Hz) are installed at the cost nearly Rs.4400 and are very good at any volume.
Among the Kenwood speakers this has a broad requency from 25 Hz but most other have not such low frequency resonse which delivers bass notes better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks