Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2007, 02:21   #1
BHPian

Focal speakers

Hi,
I had installed Polk Momo series speakers in my Honda Civic earlier (comps upfront, and coaxials at the rear). I wasn't very happy with the rears as there was a distinct buzzing noise. The installer maintained it was due to the thinness of the speaker tray, but after even more damping and subsequent replacement of the rears (Vibe coaxials), the noise went away. I replaced the HU with an upgraded touchscreen version and now the sound is even better. My only problem with the components is that they're just too "bright". Tweaking the crossover hasn't really helped and the equalizer just doesn't do much and I'm planning to replace these as well.
Here's my current configuration
JVC EXAD touchscreen HU
Polk Momo components
Vibe Coaxials
Alpine 4-Channel amp
JBL GTO monoblock
JBL subwoofer
Monster cabling throughout.
Here are my questions for the Gurus
1. Which are the best Focal speakers that you'd recommend
2. Will replacing the stock wires with thicker Monster cables reduce the brightness of the tweeters?
3. If I install components as both fronts and rears, will I need a subwoofer all the time, and will they lack bass if I detach the sub?
4.If budget is not an issue, what are the best speakers that you'd suggest?
Old 27th July 2007, 04:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Can you put up a pic of your HU? Never seen an aftermarket HU install in a Civic, though I'm a real noob in this section.
Old 27th July 2007, 04:56   #3
BHPian

The best Focals that I have heard are the focal Beriliums Kit 7. But... then to get the most out of them you need a very well tuned set up.. installation will also greatly matter... the Kit 7 goes very well with the focal dual monitor amp.... Be preapred to shell out a LOOOT of moolah for them....the whole thing includign the amp will take you back by over 5-7 K Dollars...

Frankly if you dont like the "bright"" sound Focal might not be the best choice.... i would look at Dynaudio,Morel,Rainbows for a more mellow top end.

Last edited by sk456 : 27th July 2007 at 04:59.
Old 27th July 2007, 08:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

@vikram,

1. i don't have much personal experience with Focals. I'd go by what sk456 said. I've heard mostly the same on the 'net.

2. No, thicker wires won't make the speakers less bright. (And Focals do tend to be inherently a bit bright if you plan to get them). Maybe you can do a bit of XO modding a la Navin to tame the highs? And maybe the XOs have a setting in the to cut the highs?

3. Comps in back will not essentially improve bass response. You have Vibes in the back now. if bass-support is all you are looking for, I think they will do well enough. Comps in the back will make the overall music sound better if you sit in the back. Else, personally, I think getting comps in the back are really not needed. Maybe coaxialsin the same range from whatever brand you get in front will be better.

But if you are planning to upgrade your front stage, then I guess there is no harm in moving the current comps to the back and ditching the vibes.

4. Again, I'd go by sk456's recommendation. I'd add Hertz Hi-Energys to that list. BTW, saying "budget is not an issue" is akin to suicide here, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Can you put up a pic of your HU? Never seen an aftermarket HU install in a Civic, though I'm a real noob in this section.
I haven't seen one either. it usually needs the Scosche adapter or a lot of FG skills.

Last edited by hydrashok : 27th July 2007 at 08:05.
Old 27th July 2007, 09:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
.. i would look at Dynaudio,Morel,Rainbows for a more mellow top end.
of these 3 I'd try the Rainbow's first. Dynaudio is very laid back and Morel's designs are based on Dynaudio patents.
Old 27th July 2007, 10:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
of these 3 I'd try the Rainbow's first. Dynaudio is very laid back and Morel's designs are based on Dynaudio patents.
yes.. Dynaudio was too laid back for soem genres of music according to my taste... Morels were also quite mellow.. Rainbows were jsut right for my tastes....
Old 27th July 2007, 11:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
1. Which are the best Focal speakers that you'd recommend
2. Will replacing the stock wires with thicker Monster cables reduce the brightness of the tweeters?
3. If I install components as both fronts and rears, will I need a subwoofer all the time, and will they lack bass if I detach the sub?
4.If budget is not an issue, what are the best speakers that you'd suggest?
1. If you dont like bright sound then forget the FOCAL.
2. No
3. If you need the low end of the sound. then a woofer is required.Component cannot replace a woofer.
4. there are many and sky it is the limit. the choice of speakers will depend on the other stuff you have in your car.

Like if you get the Dynaudio and run them through a Pioneer amp it will not do justice to them. For that you would need better amps like Steg, JL audio etc

so since you have alpine amp (which model) you can go for Infinity , Illusion Luccent series eTc.. as they are said to be smooth and non bright when compared to other...
Old 27th July 2007, 12:27   #8
Team-BHP Support

LBM does have a point, FOcal, DLS, Rainbow, Dynaudio, etc... demand better amps.

Focal is sweet. I wont call them bright. With the right amps they can delvier detail without the harshness. Too bad ScanSpeak does not make a Revelator version for the car.
Old 27th July 2007, 12:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
LBM does have a point, FOcal, DLS, Rainbow, Dynaudio, etc... demand better amps.

Focal is sweet. I wont call them bright. With the right amps they can delvier detail without the harshness. Too bad ScanSpeak does not make a Revelator version for the car.
Navin Ji the Focal will sound sweet when connected with a sweet amp.
Old 27th July 2007, 12:32   #10
BHPian

[quote=hydrashok;513443]@vikram,

Comps in back will not essentially improve bass response. You have Vibes in the back now. if bass-support is all you are looking for, I think they will do well enough. Comps in the back will make the overall music sound better if you sit in the back. Else, personally, I think getting comps in the back are really not needed. Maybe coaxials in the same range from whatever brand you get in front will be better.

But if you are planning to upgrade your front stage, then I guess there is no harm in moving the current comps to the back and ditching the vibes.

I know comps wont "increase" bass response. My Q was that if I detach my subwoofer, which is in the boot (for more luggage space), how will the comps sound?
Old 27th July 2007, 12:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Navin Ji the Focal will sound sweet when connected with a sweet amp.
I have the Alpine MRP-F450. Sweet enough?
Old 27th July 2007, 12:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I'll post one really soon. You get an exact fit cabinet that can be fitted with any HU.
Old 27th July 2007, 12:38   #13
BHPian

While browsing through other car audio forums, I've noticed that people say, Audison + Focal is a fantastic combo..
Old 27th July 2007, 12:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
While browsing through other car audio forums, I've noticed that people say, Audison + Focal is a fantastic combo..

but the combo will cost a lot....also the FOCAL is priced quite expensive in India and one can get better products for that price.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 27th July 2007 at 12:42.
Old 27th July 2007, 12:43   #15
BHPian

Yes, and they're not easily available in Pune, as far as I know, only Bafna Motors keeps Focal in Pune and that too, very limited stock. I havent heard them, so can't comment on how they sound.

EDIT: Technocrat once mentioned that Bafna had done a Focal install with a Sony amp. (the 554/544 whatever is the model no.)

Last edited by shrivz : 27th July 2007 at 12:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks