Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:46   #1
BHPian

ice in the forester

hi guys!
i am waitin from long to get a good car audio for my car..actually set up.i have a couple of things in mind.not very sure on what to do.too many opinions have actually confused me.my budget is a lakh & a half & i am lookin for absolute quality music.
my hu is going to be kenwood DNX8220BT
the front component is m b quart 6.5"
the rear component is m b quart 5.25"
the subwoofer is 10 inch m b quart
the amp for the component is a 4 ch rock ford
the amp for the woofer is a monoblock from rockford
i am yet to discuss on the series of the particular brand as in should it be discuss,reference or qline?
i dont know which capacitor should i go for.
i have selected the kenwood hu as it is having a inbuilt processor for sms & dta.
kindly let me know your inputs on what should i do?is my setup right for the forester?
also i dont want any kind of cutting,slicing in the car.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: This topic has been moved to the appropriate section. We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd February 2009 at 15:00. Reason: Moved to appropriate section
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Have you heard this setup before.
If not, i would recommend you to listen to high end installs.

If i had a budget of 1.5Lakh Rupees,

I would go for the following combination

HU : Eclipse CD7200 - Around 25-30k from US. (For the Features like BT, USB, AuxIn etc)
Front Compos : Illusion Carbon Nd 6.1 - 30k
Rear Compos : Illusion Electra 6.1 - 7k
Subwoofer : Ground Zero Hydrogen 15" = 30k or something
Amp For Components : JBL GTO 1004e - 14.5k
Amp For Subwoofer : GZUA 1.1000DX - 31k
Damping + Install + Wiring etc - 15k atleast.

Contact Bass&Trouble for a better quote. He's the man for you.
He is in Mumbai and will be happy enough to send the equipment across to you.
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Isnt GTO 1004e sort of a underkill for such high end compo's ? He should be investing more on a 4 channel amp like Tru/JL Slash/Genesis IMHO.
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

He can try for a GZ amp for the compos in that case.

GZTA 4.120MK²
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:50   #5
BHPian

wat do u say?

Front Components 6.5” Q Line Series: - QSD 216 PRICE 41,340/-
Rear Coaxial speaker Premium Series:-5.25”:- PWE 130 PRICE 8,580/-
Subwoofer:-Dual Voice Coil Premium Series10 inch: - PWE 254 PRICE 13,390/-
Amplifier to Drive the Component Speakers: - P 6002 PRICE 24,150/-
Amplifier to Drive the Rear Coaxial Speaker: - P2002 PRICE 11,550/-
Amplifier to Drive the Subwoofer: - P 6001bd PRICE 26,600/-

THE price of the speaker set up is 1,25,610/-
headunit seperate @ 50k
fixing cables &damping seperate
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:23   #6
BHPian

i forgot to put the discounted prices of the front components.this is the mrp
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
Front Components 6.5” Q Line Series: - QSD 216 PRICE 41,340/-
Rear Coaxial speaker Premium Series:-5.25”:- PWE 130 PRICE 8,580/-
Subwoofer:-Dual Voice Coil Premium Series10 inch: - PWE 254 PRICE 13,390/-
Amplifier to Drive the Component Speakers: - P 6002 PRICE 24,150/-
Amplifier to Drive the Rear Coaxial Speaker: - P2002 PRICE 11,550/-
Amplifier to Drive the Subwoofer: - P 6001bd PRICE 26,600/-

THE price of the speaker set up is 1,25,610/-
headunit seperate @ 50k
fixing cables &damping seperate

have you purchased the above setup?

if you haven't then i suggest you rethink the entire setup, and think of a different brand. mb quart is no longer what it used to be, and i know of 2-3 people who made a mountain out of the molehill that mb quart has now become, and are now not happy or have changed their setup totally.
I'd say, if you had a budget of 1.5L, your most important investment/s would be
1. the head unit
2. the front soundstage
3. the amplifiers powering the front speakers and the subwoofer/s
4. the subwoofer/s.

here's what i would do if i had a chevy forester, and 1.5L to spare on ICE.

1. Head Unit: Since absolute quality is what you demand, I'd say a Head unit like the Kenwood mentioned above is good, but you can do better. And for that reason I'd suggest the Eclipse 7200MKII, since it has Bluetooth, USB and Aux In. Since you mentioned the bit about the telephone synchronization being important for you, the 7200MKII does it all. The Alpine CDA-9887 would be a good option if you wish not to have telephone synchronization in the stock unit (you can add a bluetooth adapter to almost all higher end head units from alpine, pioneer etc.)

2. The Front soundstage: Now, here is where I'd experiment on a car as big as the Forester, and with a good budget like yours. Contact Bass&Trouble for an innovative idea, as to accomodate a 2-Way component speaker setup, as well as a Sub-woofer in the front (yes, you read right, i am not kidding.) Having a slightly smaller sub in front works wonders for the front soundstage. A little bit of innovation might help, that's the reason why Bass&trouble might be able to help you.
The speakers I'd recommend here are without doubt, the Illusion Audio Carbon ND-8.1 or the ND-6.1 depending on the modifications you are willing to make to the door pads.

3. The Amplifiers: This is where the most amount will/should be spent. And I'd say, a good powerful 4 Channel Amp for the Fronts and rears like the Higher End 4 channel amplifiers from either Steg/tru/genesis. I dont know model Numbers here. Sorry for that. The Amplifier for the Sub/s would be a monobloc amp from the the above brands.

4. The Sub: I'd say the Ground Zero Hydrogen Series is great! I'd have 2 12" Hydrogens, but if there is a space constraint, then one 15" sub should do it. We also have to take into account the sub in front, but I dont know much about compact powerful drivers. They do exist, that's why I say, contact B&t. He will guide you here.

5. The Rear doors can get the Illusion Electra Coaxials/Components, depending on who is going to be sitting there for the better part of all journeys.

It goes without saying that INstallation and wiring etc must be top notch, since we are using such high end components!

Last edited by frankmehta : 23rd February 2009 at 20:43.
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Perfecto.
Thats the best way to explain what the ICE should be like.
Old 24th February 2009, 11:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
have you purchased the above setup?

if you haven't then i suggest you rethink the entire setup, and think of a different brand. mb quart is no longer what it used to be, and i know of 2-3 people who made a mountain out of the molehill that mb quart has now become, and are now not happy or have changed their setup totally.
I'd say, if you had a budget of 1.5L, your most important investment/s would be
1. the head unit
2. the front soundstage
3. the amplifiers powering the front speakers and the subwoofer/s
4. the subwoofer/s.

here's what i would do if i had a chevy forester, and 1.5L to spare on ICE.

1. Head Unit: Since absolute quality is what you demand, I'd say a Head unit like the Kenwood mentioned above is good, but you can do better. And for that reason I'd suggest the Eclipse 7200MKII, since it has Bluetooth, USB and Aux In. Since you mentioned the bit about the telephone synchronization being important for you, the 7200MKII does it all. The Alpine CDA-9887 would be a good option if you wish not to have telephone synchronization in the stock unit (you can add a bluetooth adapter to almost all higher end head units from alpine, pioneer etc.)

2. The Front soundstage: Now, here is where I'd experiment on a car as big as the Forester, and with a good budget like yours. Contact Bass&Trouble for an innovative idea, as to accomodate a 2-Way component speaker setup, as well as a Sub-woofer in the front (yes, you read right, i am not kidding.) Having a slightly smaller sub in front works wonders for the front soundstage. A little bit of innovation might help, that's the reason why Bass&trouble might be able to help you.
The speakers I'd recommend here are without doubt, the Illusion Audio Carbon ND-8.1 or the ND-6.1 depending on the modifications you are willing to make to the door pads.

3. The Amplifiers: This is where the most amount will/should be spent. And I'd say, a good powerful 4 Channel Amp for the Fronts and rears like the Higher End 4 channel amplifiers from either Steg/tru/genesis. I dont know model Numbers here. Sorry for that. The Amplifier for the Sub/s would be a monobloc amp from the the above brands.

4. The Sub: I'd say the Ground Zero Hydrogen Series is great! I'd have 2 12" Hydrogens, but if there is a space constraint, then one 15" sub should do it. We also have to take into account the sub in front, but I dont know much about compact powerful drivers. They do exist, that's why I say, contact B&t. He will guide you here.

5. The Rear doors can get the Illusion Electra Coaxials/Components, depending on who is going to be sitting there for the better part of all journeys.

It goes without saying that INstallation and wiring etc must be top notch, since we are using such high end components!
hi frank!
i have not bought the set up yet.i wont buy it till i am not sure of what i am buying.i want to make use of every rupee that goes into my car audio.dont want to just rush up.my hu is confirmed.it is going to be kenwood as these are the features
6.95 inch Interactive Touch Panel Control with Full Graphic User Interface DVD Video/Audio-VR/±R/RW, DivX, MPEG 1/2 Video File (.mpg) & JPEG File (.jpg), AAC, WMA, MP3 playback iPod Full Control/ iPod Video/ iPod Album Art with KCA-iP200(audio) or KCA-iP300V(audio&video)USB interface built-in (x2), 5.1 channel decoder built-in 2 RCA AV-In, 1 RCA AV-Out, 1 RCA Video Input for Rear View Camera Built in Garmin Navigation, High performance Navigation System with easy-to-use interface TMC / TMCpro decoder built-in SIRF3, high sensitivity GPS receiver Easy Update Functionality using SD-cardBluetooth Handsfree / Audio streaming built-in
also supports the phonebook sync & audio stream.
also i was lookin for thr pre vot to be more then 5
thats is the reason i have taken this hu.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

@nandishpal, to use an expression from @drfrankbhaimehta - please go out and smell the coffee! One cannot judge the quality of sound by product descriptions on websites, and predeciding brands and models without listening to them in situ is an unwise policy. Costly equipment is no guarantee of good performance, and money that you throw at appreciative expectant vendors is unlikely to get you what you want.

Which part of Bangalore are you in? Guys, you dont't want him to drive all the way to Mumbai from Bangalore to meet the Hermit, do you?

The Kenwood model you have listed is not meant for India (Garmin does not have detailed maps for India yet). On the other hand, if you compare specs, there may be a other makes / models that are meant for in India.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Don`t go by hearsay ,audition Various brands before buying anything.
Get in contact with Gunbir paaji ,Sam ,B&T or Blueraven (he`s from Bangalore i think) and get more ideas/options.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 25th February 2009 at 11:14.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

he can always take suggestions from b&t via pm, since he may be contacting B&T for buying some/all of the equipment suggested to him.
as far as the install is concerned, I'd suggest looking for an installer after he zeroes in on his equipment (by auditioning team-bhpians' cars in Bangy of course) since any installer might tend to be loyal to a particular brand, and that brand might not go down well in the interest of the buyer/might not sound as good as the competition, (happened to me when I used to go to Opera House for my installs) hence I suggest he stay put in banglaore itself, but have a dekko at some bhpians' cars, alongwith pm'ing hermit! Can't expect him to drive down to Mumbai (or can we, considering most of us bhpians are so passionate about things :-)
Old 25th February 2009, 14:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

The Kenwood you lookign for is not available in india as of now and it costs way too high too.
My suggestion would be the JVC AVX810 + the Bluetooth Adaptor, this with Official 2 years warranty you should be able to find for around Rs 43000 in total.
Greay market product will be around 30500 along with the adaptor.
The kenwood does not sound a lot better than this one.

If you had to take my honest suggestion then you need a Eclipse CD7200 MP3 or at least an Alpine 9887.
Old 25th February 2009, 14:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

i really dont know, mr nandish, if you have actually bought the HU or not. its not clear from your posts.
please tell us whether you have purchased it yet and if yes, from where? seems like abroad.

if you haven't then please rethink your preference of having a larger screen, and get a better sounding head unit, instead. or you could go for the kenwood 8032 2 din HU which is expensive (i think SAM-786 has it)
blueraven has suggested the jvc HU, which is quite popular here too!

Last edited by frankmehta : 25th February 2009 at 14:14.
Old 25th February 2009, 15:06   #15
BHPian

hi frank!
i have purchasedthe HU.will tell you why i have gone in for this systemanwar is going to work on my car in bangalore.i had told him my requiremnt.i spoke to one of my friend in mumbai & he told me if you looking for quality always bt an HU with higher pre vot.atleast a minimun 5.second thing is i decided a pioneer 6050 dvd doule din.for which i had to buy a processor seperately for sms & dta.both these features are available in kenwood & much more than i require.as i got to know that navigation would not be of much use on india especially with gramin navigation in kenwood.its ok i can wait till they have updates or i can ask them to build it against order.
now i am confused about the sound set up that is either rockford or mb quart.i dot beleive expensive is the best.but i have taken views from people who are using nb quart.trust me i have never heard music better then this.m b quart might no be famous in india but for sure it is a top quality product.handcrafted in germany.i heard it in my friends lancer & i could hear every instrument jinggle.
i have still not made up my mind on the sey up.please give me detailed views ,even if it is technical or differences between whwt they prefer & how is it better than what i have thought.
i am lookin for front comps
rear comps all in door pad without cutting
amps for comp
subwoofer & amp for subwoofer.i want the amp only to support the music i dont want the woofer to lead.
looking forward for your views
nandish

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
i really dont know, mr nandish, if you have actually bought the HU or not. its not clear from your posts.
please tell us whether you have purchased it yet and if yes, from where? seems like abroad.

if you haven't then please rethink your preference of having a larger screen, and get a better sounding head unit, instead. or you could go for the kenwood 8032 2 din HU which is expensive (i think SAM-786 has it)
blueraven has suggested the jvc HU, which is quite popular here too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks