Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 13:58   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: My Punto 90 HP ICE'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritraray View Post
thanks raj_5004 for the update.
Quick question though for all punto owners/fans, does the stock steering mounted controls work or could be made to work somehow with headunit upgrade. If not is there any specific build that might enable me in doing that .
-Any specific aftermarket workhouse in Hyderabad who could help me , fellow bhpians , any suggestions
Google for Connects2. It is a well known solution to this issue. Anything else is just a compromise. The appropriate part number for Linea/Punto is CTSFA0004. You have to then get a patch lead specific to your HU.

Blue and Me wont work but steering audio controls will.

There is an updated version called CTSFA0004.2 which enables B&M as well to work with an after market HU. Check the website of Connects2 or speak to their UK distributor Dynamic Sounds.

In India I think they have appointed Poona Motors and Kumars Auto (though this guy never responds to emails and call. Strange!)
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 18:18   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: My Punto 90 HP ICE'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Google for Connects2. It is a well known solution to this issue. Anything else is just a compromise. The appropriate part number for Linea/Punto is CTSFA0004. You have to then get a patch lead specific to your HU.
Does this connect2 interface work with Kenwood HU, just spoke to my installer he is saying he has this interface for Pioneers not for Kenwood. Aren't these standard for all/most HUs ?.
linuxmanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 17:06   #18
BHPian
 
dj_turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore | JDP
Posts: 92
Thanked: 30 Times
Default ICEing Punto 90HP without affecting B&M

Hi Guys
Coming back to team-bhp after a long time, yet my oil burning love will still take some more time to be with me and then I hope to revive the ownership thread again.

Finally I am thinking to upgrade my Punto 90HP’s OEM ICEing to a better one, I do not want to change the HU as I don’t want to mess up B&M and steering controls (even if those can be retained with some HUs, I prefer to change only the speakers and add other things at the moment).
I have budget of around 20K. I like punchy sound with tight bass, I am not a loud music person and like to hear to soothing soft Hindi/English music but the clarity is most important factor. I have gone thru the Punto/Linea E+ ICEing threads these days those don’t seem to get updates. I have been thinking to add an amplifier, components in front (I think 6.5” is the size for front) and coaxial at the rear doors (same size or 4”?).
I am new to this arena hence don’t know how much impact the door damping will have on the sound quality. I can add the sub later if I feel the output is missing something (or am I thinking wrong in it).

I am looking at the Rockford Fostage punch series for the speakers and would appreciate if you can suggest good combinations of Amp to go with it (or Rainbow/focal are better and can be had in this budget). Are there any major things to take care of while doing the installation as I may order it online to get better pricing and then will get the installation done (probably not in Bangalore or any other metro city).

Is it possible to take out the speakers from Punto and fit them into my other car, Nano. If yes, can anyone suggest a good place for this assembly in Bangalore.

Apologies for being noob and for asking basic questions.

Thanks
Dj
dj_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 17:12   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: ICEing Punto 90HP without affecting B&M

You can have a look at my thread here.

PM me if you want my installer's contact details.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 17:16   #20
BHPian
 
dj_turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore | JDP
Posts: 92
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: ICEing Punto 90HP without affecting B&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
You can have a look at my thread here.

PM me if you want my installer's contact details.
Hey Raj
Good to hear from you, I remember starting the ownership thread right after you. Will go thru your thread tonight.
I may get this installation done in my home town (Jodhpur), if not then will definitely get in touch with you.
Thanks.
dj_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 20:15   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: chennai
Posts: 40
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: ICEing Punto 90HP without affecting B&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_turbo View Post
Hi Guys
Coming back to team-bhp after a long time, yet my oil burning love will still take some more time to be with me and then I hope to revive the ownership thread again.

I am looking at the Rockford Fostage punch series for the speakers and would appreciate if you can suggest good combinations of Amp to go with it (or Rainbow/focal are better and can be had in this budget). Are there any major things to take care of while doing the installation as I may order it online to get better pricing and then will get the installation done (probably not in Bangalore or any other metro city).

Is it possible to take out the speakers from Punto and fit them into my other car, Nano. If yes, can anyone suggest a good place for this assembly in Bangalore.

Apologies for being noob and for asking basic questions.

Thanks
Dj
As u like punchy sound , get
Digital Design Components for 10k .( better than rockford) .
There are other options like kicker . You can check them out too.
Kenwood 846 amp for 5.5k or DD c4c for 12k ( if your budget is high)
Invest in a 4ch amp itself so that you can add a sub later .
Damping will cost you 2-3k for the front doors . Or else , you can buy a bulk pack of dampmat for 8.5k and damp your whole car.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th October 2013 at 23:05. Reason: Please quote selectively as large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, Also avoid using SMS language.
SolidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 12:36   #22
BHPian
 
dj_turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore | JDP
Posts: 92
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: ICEing Punto 90HP without affecting B&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
You can have a look at my thread here.

PM me if you want my installer's contact details.
HI Raj
Gone thru the post, your setup looks great, unfortunately I don't want to spend so much on ICEing at the moment. Probably I can replace the speakers now and can add sub/amp later. Few questions:
  1. You have different Amps for sub and speakers, is it required or I can go with only one 4Ch Amp.
  2. I am not keen in placing MDF tray for speakers, so will get the speakers in rear doors. Can you confirm the size of speakers going into the doors. If I go for smaller sub, does it make any difference if I go for comps in rear as well. Mostly only the front seats will be occupied.
  3. As I dont want to compromise the boot space, have you came across any other option (may be a smaller one below front seat).
  4. I noticed that I haven't changed my location to Bangalore in TBHP profile, you have any recommendations in Bangalore for installation?

Ended up with long list


Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
As u like punchy sound , get
Digital Design Components for 10k .( better than rockford) .
There are other options like kicker . You can check them out too.
Kenwood 846 amp for 5.5k or DD c4c for 12k ( if your budget is high)
Invest in a 4ch amp itself so that you can add a sub later .
Damping will cost you 2-3k for the front doors . Or else , you can buy a bulk pack of dampmat for 8.5k and damp your whole car.

Thanks Solidsnake. I will check DD and Kickers as well. Any place in bangalore for auditioning them?
dj_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 15:51   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: chennai
Posts: 40
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: ICEing Punto 90HP without affecting B&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_turbo View Post
HI Raj
Gone thru the post, your setup looks great, unfortunately I don't want to spend so much on ICEing at the moment. Probably I can replace the speakers now and can add sub/amp later. Few questions:
  1. You have different Amps for sub and speakers, is it required or I can go with only one 4Ch Amp.
  2. I am not keen in placing MDF tray for speakers, so will get the speakers in rear doors. Can you confirm the size of speakers going into the doors. If I go for smaller sub, does it make any difference if I go for comps in rear as well. Mostly only the front seats will be occupied.
  3. As I dont want to compromise the boot space, have you came across any other option (may be a smaller one below front seat).
  4. I noticed that I haven't changed my location to Bangalore in TBHP profile, you have any recommendations in Bangalore for installation?
Ended up with long list





Thanks Solidsnake. I will check DD and Kickers as well. Any place in bangalore for auditioning them?
Check with EVO , Autofusion , sachin's autoshop.
SolidSnake is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 23:57   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: ICEing Punto 90HP without affecting B&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_turbo View Post
You have different Amps for sub and speakers, is it required or I can go with only one 4Ch Amp.
You can go with a single 4 ch amp, but then you wont be able to power the rear speakers with the amp. You can power the front comps and the sub.

Quote:
I am not keen in placing MDF tray for speakers, so will get the speakers in rear doors. Can you confirm the size of speakers going into the doors. If I go for smaller sub, does it make any difference if I go for comps in rear as well. Mostly only the front seats will be occupied.
I dont recollect to be honest. I faintly remember that the stock slot if for a 5" speaker.

I would suggest atleast a 12" sub in a sealed box for a decent output.

Since you are not planning for two amps, avoid comps in the rear. In most cases, comps run well only with an amp, as far as I have heard. Gurus may enlighten this further.

Quote:
As I dont want to compromise the boot space, have you came across any other option (may be a smaller one below front seat).
The shallow subs are useless and pricey. Go for a normal sub. They are removable anyways.

Quote:
I noticed that I haven't changed my location to Bangalore in TBHP profile, you have any recommendations in Bangalore for installation?
I am sorry, I have no clue about the Bangalore market.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 00:33   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: My Punto 90 HP ICE'd!

You can accomodate 6 or 6.5inch components in the punto door,positioning the tweeter is a challenging task because off odd seating position,and stock location is not what i will reccomend you,also the new ford eco sport faces the same issues with staging.

And for fine tuning adjustments find an amplifier with variable tuning feature than fixed xover.will help you.punto stock hu chunks out 1.3volt max for front and 0.9volt max in the rear also the headunit clips after the volume of 23,suppose to be one of the worst oem stereo available in car

Ramie
ramie2400 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 11:31   #26
BHPian
 
dj_turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore | JDP
Posts: 92
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: My Punto 90 HP ICE'd!

Thanks Raj, Points noted.

(OT: I do not see 'Pintu' in your signature now !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
punto stock hu chunks out ..... suppose to be one of the worst oem stereo available in car

Ramie
Thanks Ramie,
Can you suggest a setup in my range (around 20K) and if it not enough for good punchy sound quality, can you recommend any upgrade path with brand/models, like first change of speakers (with or without Amp) and then a Sub (which do not take boot space or as Raj mentioned, which can be removed easily).
Appreciate if you can answer to one more query. If I take out the OEM speakers from Punto, can these be fitted into a Nano. I just want a basic setup in Nano.

I am still three long weeks away from getting to drive my punto but already feeling excited about the drive and now, about the ICEing on the cake.

Thanks Solidsnake, I will check out the shops you mentioned, I have gone thru a long thread about Sachin's autoshop too.
dj_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 01:36   #27
BHPian
 
dj_turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore | JDP
Posts: 92
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: My Punto 90 HP ICE'd!

Hi guys

I have been reading various thread on ICE and I should be able to ask right questions.

Right now my plan is to go in phased manner, as I have to see if I am really able to use my car since I keep on relocating on assignments.
In first phase, I am planning to replace OEM speakers with 6.5” comps in front and 6.5 coaxials in rear. I plan to power these with a 4 Ch Amp.
In second wave, I will probably add a sub, if I am not satisfied with the sound quality of this setup (no time frame).

I have not yet started auditioning those as work and shifting home is keeping me busy, and I do not have my car with me at the moment. I have seen these hardware on snapdeal, how does this look to you guys:

Polk Audio - DB6501 - 6.5'' 2 Way Component System 100W / 4 ohms – INR 7900
Polk Audio - DB651 - 6.5'' Co-axial Speakers 60W / 4 ohms– INR 4400
JBL - 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER - GTO-804EZ – INR 12000

In Second phase:
JBL - CS1215B - 1100W 12'' Subwoofer Enclosure – INR 4200
Focal - HILO - Hi Low Convertor - INR 3700

Till the time I decide to get a Sub, I plan to power rear coax with the amp. One thing I am still not sure about is, do I need to use HiLo converter as Raj has used in his setup.
I am looking at the Polk Audio speakers as I liked them the most while auditioning for HT systems earlier and have read good reviews about them. Is there any recommended place for auditioning this setup in Bangalore.

Thanks.
Dj
dj_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 09:05   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: chennai
Posts: 40
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: My Punto 90 HP ICE'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_turbo View Post
Hi guys

I have been reading various thread on ICE and I should be able to ask right questions.

Right now my plan is to go in phased manner, as I have to see if I am really able to use my car since I keep on relocating on assignments.
In first phase, I am planning to replace OEM speakers with 6.5” comps in front and 6.5 coaxials in rear. I plan to power these with a 4 Ch Amp.
In second wave, I will probably add a sub, if I am not satisfied with the sound quality of this setup (no time frame).

I have not yet started auditioning those as work and shifting home is keeping me busy, and I do not have my car with me at the moment. I have seen these hardware on snapdeal, how does this look to you guys:

Polk Audio - DB6501 - 6.5'' 2 Way Component System 100W / 4 ohms – INR 7900
Polk Audio - DB651 - 6.5'' Co-axial Speakers 60W / 4 ohms– INR 4400
JBL - 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER - GTO-804EZ – INR 12000

In Second phase:
JBL - CS1215B - 1100W 12'' Subwoofer Enclosure – INR 4200
Focal - HILO - Hi Low Convertor - INR 3700

Till the time I decide to get a Sub, I plan to power rear coax with the amp. One thing I am still not sure about is, do I need to use HiLo converter as Raj has used in his setup.
I am looking at the Polk Audio speakers as I liked them the most while auditioning for HT systems earlier and have read good reviews about them. Is there any recommended place for auditioning this setup in Bangalore.

Thanks.
Dj

Its always good to do the upgrade in stages

Keep your stage 1 as this
1) Better Component Speakers.
2) Good 4ch amp.

Get the coaxials in Stage 2.
If you are planning to get a amp in stage 1 , you need a HL convertor in stage 1 itself. ( only for OEM hu).

IMO , Polk Audio is overpriced for the sound quality they offer.

Look at other options.

Good options are
1) Focal Polyglass Speakers - 10k
2) DD C4C - 12k.
3) Schosche high low Convertor -2k

If you are ok with used options , look at infinity kappa 4.

IMO , rear coaxials are never required for a sq setup.
If you still want it , Get focal access coaxials later.

In Stage 2 ,
Get a better sub and rear coaxials.
1) Infinity Kappa - 9k .

Rear Coaxials , pm me if you want morel maximo coax later .( a friend has one BNIB pair)
SolidSnake is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied Soccerfan In-Car Entertainment 45 10th March 2012 21:40
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
Punto Sports (MJD) or Punto T-Jet theEnd The Indian Car Scene 69 30th June 2010 23:26
Worth waiting for Fabia/Punto/Linea/Renault Sandero? EDIT - Bought Punto ~~VinZ~~ Hatchbacks 25 7th April 2010 16:06
ICE ICE Baby!!!!!!!!(Swift ICE) scarlet.fever In-Car Entertainment 21 23rd September 2009 20:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:46.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks