Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 11:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bus Rapid Transit Systems- Can it save our cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
1. I don't have an answer now will search for it.
2. So that a vehicle carrying 15 times more commuters than a car or SUV can move in peace. How much time will it take to procure buses. The BRTS will remain for a lifetime.
3. Check Ahmedabad system. it runs on similar system. We will soon be able to use our DMRC card on DTC buses. Systems are improving.
4. It is not a total waste of public money. This money is being used for more needy public. It is not possible to get things right the first time. Give BRTS time to become effective.

5. Even DMRC faced oppsition before its inception in Delhi. Look at it now, one can not imagine the fate of Delhi roads without Metro.

6. Delhi Transport minister opposed (with huge public support) the conversion of public transport to CNG. SC forced him to comply and trust me it made a huge impact on pollution levels.

7. These reforms are for greater public good and they will take time to reach perfection. We shall not write them off just because our cars find it difficult to move. Not everyone can afford expensive private transport.
1. I think I can answer it. If you contruct BRTS lanes on left - how will you allow other vehicles, which are on right, to exit the road?

2. Yes. The real reason why BRTS lane is empty is simply because the city administration doesn't have the buses yet.

They don't have the buses yet! This is the most elementary and basic of all requirements. You don't have buses, you cannot ply passengers comfortably.

Agreed, this takes time. Do you know how long I have been living in Pune? 6 years. BRTS exists right next to my house (well figuratively). In these last 6 years - I have not seen any increase of bus frequency on this route. I have not seen any increase in introduction of truly world class buses worthy enough to use the BRTS lanes. I have not seen any bus stop which has world class conveniences that can make this system stand apart.

3. I think I did post the Ahmedabad BRTS station picture to illustrate what Pune BRTS (and "hopefully" rest of India BRTS) is lacking.

4. In fact I acknowledged that BRTS system is better and more economical than the Metro Rail system. But the thorough idiocity in implementation in this country coupled with the ultra corruptness and citizenry's mute spectation leads to wastage of trillions of rupees. Whose rupees? Public's. The mute spectators who don't question anything.

5. Do you know what was the cause of opposition to DMRC? Is the same even applicable for BRTS?

6. I was present in Delhi during the CNG fiasco. The truth behind the matter is that Delhi govt was given about 2-3 years time to convert the public transport to CNG based system. The similar govt machinery that you defend today. These idiots were sitting on their haunches till the deadline came. Supreme court was adamant and this adamancy lead to govt machinery gears moving which finally lead to change over to CNG.

7. I am not opposed to ANY public transport system. What I am opposed to is the idiots at the helm, who device schemes ONLY to funnel the public money into their accounts, and in doing so - they are successful in making a complete mockery of a great idea.

Last edited by alpha1 : 15th March 2013 at 11:32.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:21   #32
BHPian

Well its my belief that the BRTS system though all sounds nice and happy will lead to colossal problems. My reason is simple and straightforward for which no concrete research or statistical figures are available i.e. what percentage of communting population is actually using BRTS right now and is expected to use it in future vis-a-vis the current commuting lot of present and future. The sheer amount of Road estate BRTS ends up using will make life hell for other commuters who are now using it. So in the end you've ended up marking a major real estate for yor roads to BRTS which eventually will end getting low commuter traffic compared to the space it ends up occupying on the road. And I'm not even touching the shoddy implementation, delayed timelines, corruption, existing vehicular disruption etc.

I have traveled to Ahmedabad a lot and many a times traffic wardens in the bid to manage the traffic restricted to the fringes of the BRTS lane desperately ask cars and bikes to use the BRTS lanes in order to de-bottleneck !

BRTS's enthusiasm and its favorable press coverage is going to become a classic case of 'unintended consequences'. Its my belief.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am not opposed to ANY public transport system. What I am opposed to is the idiots at the helm, who device schemes ONLY to funnel the public money into their accounts, and in doing so - they are successful in making a complete mockery of a great idea.
In that case we should be raising our voices against the idiots and try to change them. Support the system that can bring a positive change and put efforts to push the idiots to improve the system.

These 'idiots' are way more smarter then any highly paid Indian CEO. They will funnel money to their account, no matter what schemes they are implementing. If we are doing good, they will make money; if we are doing bad, they will make money even then.

CNG conversion happened in Delhi, no matter how big was the opposition. May some court intervene in improving Pune bus transport system. At least there are steps in positive direction, some push will definitely take those steps to the desired goal.

@ abs182 hope this links clarify some of your doubts:
http://www.hazardscentre.com/news/25...es%20final.pdf

Last edited by sourabhzen : 15th March 2013 at 12:50. Reason: Adding reply to abs182
Old 21st March 2013, 15:58   #34

spotted another mishap on the said BRT route yesterday night while returning home! The photo isn't great quality but can definitely reveal the gravity of the accident. Also, it stays to be noted that they have built concrete structures in mid of the roads and there are barely any lights... wonder what must have happened to the poor driver.
Bus Rapid Transit Systems- Can it save our cities?-img_1254.jpg

The front tyre have been torn apart completey...
Bus Rapid Transit Systems- Can it save our cities?-img_1255.jpg

Quote:
WHO IS ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS?? ARE WE REALLY GOING TO DOGS!!!

Last edited by bora.nayan : 21st March 2013 at 16:11.
Old 21st March 2013, 16:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

In Ottawa, the Buses run on normal roads/freeways. But there are also lots of roads constructed for use by only these Buses. It helps that they have a lot of empty spaces and have created two lane roads exclusively for these which intersect major roads of the City.

They also lose a lot of money. But then its for the people by the people (their tax). It not that difficult to plan just a little ahead and create such infrastructure. Its also mighty useful for emergency vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks