Team-BHP - Tata launches Winger DICOR with 100 HP & 190 Nm of torque
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Tata launches Winger DICOR with 100 HP & 190 Nm of torque (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/176388-tata-launches-winger-dicor-100-hp-190-nm-torque.html)

Tata Motors has launched an updated version of the Winger in India. Dubbed Winger DICOR, it has a 2.2-litre, BS-IV compliant DICOR engine that develops 99 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 190 Nm of torque @ 1,250-3,000 rpm.

Tata launches Winger DICOR with 100 HP & 190 Nm of torque-winger-1.jpg

The new Winger is suitable for use in the hospitality and tours & travels industries. It comes in 3 variants - Luxury (9 reclining push-back seats), Deluxe flat roof (12 & 13 hi-back seats) and Deluxe Hi-roof variant (13 hi-back seats). The high roof variant has an internal height of 6.23 ft.

Tata launches Winger DICOR with 100 HP & 190 Nm of torque-winger-2.jpg

Some of the features of the Winger DICOR include a monocoque body, McPherson strut front suspension, parabolic leaf spring rear suspension and a 60-litre fuel tank. The vehicle is equipped with a first aid kit as well as fire extinguishers.

Tata launches Winger DICOR with 100 HP & 190 Nm of torque-winger-3.jpg

Tata Motors is offering a warranty of 3 years / 3 lakh kilometres on the Winger DICOR.

Tata launches Winger DICOR with 100 HP & 190 Nm of torque-winger-4.jpg

I don't see any seat belts for the 2nd, 3rd & the 4th row seats. Has Tata not included them or is it just me unable to figure out from the pictures.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Delhi NCR is one of the largest markets for such vehicles. Both for tour operators as well as business visitor applications. With the Supreme Court banning registration of diesel commercial vehicles, and frankly speaking such a ruling had been for seen for a few years atleast, it would have been wiser if TML had launched a CNG variant instead of a diesel version with limited appeal (in light of the SC ruling). The old 483PL engine of Safari petrol vintage also used in the Xenon CNG in Thailand could easily have been used for this purpose!

I see that the 2.2L engine from Safari is being offered on this. But the torque numbers are similar to the old 2.0L TCIC engine (at real low rpms). Isn't the torque low for such a big people mover? And that's some serious de-tuning for the engine. I remember the Sumo Grande had this engine but with 120BHP/~250NM torque.

Another point to note is the 3year/3L km warranty, something that is being offered in Xenon with the standard 150BHP/320NM tune version. See the below post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3980154

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 3980184)
I see that the 2.2L engine from Safari is being offered on this. But the torque numbers are similar to the old 2.0L TCIC engine (at real low rpms). Isn't the torque low for such a big people mover?

The need to compete against the Force Traveller T1, which is really strong in this segment. Maybe they just retained the old gearbox from the TCIC powertrain to keep costs low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 3980184)
I see that the 2.2L engine from Safari is being offered on this. But the torque numbers are similar to the old 2.0L TCIC engine (at real low rpms). Isn't the torque low for such a big people mover? And that's some serious de-tuning for the engine. I remember the Sumo Grande had this engine but with 120BHP/~250NM torque.

Another point to note is the 3year/3L km warranty, something that is being offered in Xenon with the standard 150BHP/320NM tune version. See the below post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3980154

Note that the tyre size of the Sumo was much bigger than that of the Winger. Hence the torque requirement for the winger may be much lesser than that required for the SUMO. Also, I assume that there would be a significant weight difference between the two categories of vehicles- winger being lighter than the sumo due to its monocoque construction. This would again deter the need of the high torque requirement.

That said, the Torque generated is directly proportional to the fuel burnt in the cylinder. The lower torque figures will aid the Fuel efficiency part.

Further, I believe that more than the absolute torque figures, it is important to consider how the torque is being delivered.

Also a higher torque range would have required significant changes in the gearbox which itself is an expensive affair.

Hope this helps!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG (Post 3980261)
Also a higher torque range would have required significant changes in the gearbox which itself is an expensive affair.

Hope this helps!!

While I agree on the cost part, I was concerned the necessary torque for a people mover. Imagine 10-12 tourists and their luggage (typical over-loaded tourist vehicle) in this Winger and it climbing the steep hair-pin bends enroute Ooty. On a plain road, it should do fine since it isn't a drag car but a people mover. The old TCIC powered Winger was decently fast in the city when the engine was kept on boil. Regarding the torque delivery, it does seem to come very early in the power band. BTW I checked the Tempo Traveller. It has 2 engine options in 3 states of tune. The figures are 82ps/215NM @1800-2000rpm, 129ps/295NM @1600-2400rpm and 129ps/300NM @1600-2400rpm. Winger seems to have a better torque band but lower value. I haven't compared their GVW yet.

The other point worth noting. As we have often discussed, engines being tuned low on power to have very long life. Case in point, the Qualis, Innova (even the Fortuner), Pajero, Spacio/407 etc. But here we have the same engine at almost extreme ends of tuning but offered with the same warranty (3lac is very high) in Xenon and Winger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 3980113)
Tata Motors is offering a warranty of 3 years / 3 lakh kilometres on the Winger DICOR.

Wow! Now, that is the first time I am seeing a 3 lakh km warranty on an indigenously developed vehicle! Considering how these vehicles are (ab)used, Tata must have a lot of confidence in the product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viju (Post 3980389)
Wow! Now, that is the first time I am seeing a 3 lakh km warranty on an indigenously developed vehicle! Considering how these vehicles are (ab)used, Tata must have a lot of confidence in the product.

Winger is not an indigenous product but based on the Renault Trafic. See the below link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Winger

The engine being offered has been on duty in Safari, Aria, Sumo and Xenon since 2007. It seems TaMo is convinced about its reliability of the same and hence is offering 3yr/3L km warranty on the Xenon and Winger. Similar warranty on the Storme and Hexa would be a confidence booster. May be they are sure about the engine and not the vehicle as a whole, in case of Storme and Hexa.lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 3980412)
Winger is not an indigenous product but based on the Renault Trafic.

Yes, I do know that Tata bought the old dies from Renault and made the Winger. Thank you for sharing the Wiki link.

That does not mean Tata did zero development on their own. Parts were developed by TML's vendors and are supplied locally. Confidence in the product means they are confident about the quality of parts. That also means they did proper validation and are doing thorough QC. That is all I meant. Whether it is because of the engine or the tyres, I am happy to see an Indian OEM offer 3,00,000 km warranty.

Does anyone know why the long wheel base version was discontinued. I wish they bring it back with the new powerful engine.

Can this be privately registered? It would make a good base for a camper van conversion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 3980511)
Can this be privately registered? It would make a good base for a camper van conversion.

I have seen private registered Wingers on a few occasions though I don't know the owners. I think it might be possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 3980376)
I haven't compared their GVW yet.

FYI

The Kerb weight of Sumo Grande was 2625 kgs whereas that of winger is 1740 kgs.
Source- various online data, I doubt authenticity.