Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 17:51   #16
BHPian

Re: 37-seater Bus : Ashok Leyland or Eicher?

If i am in your place, without doubt i ll choose the Viking 222 SCR option for a DDAC application.
If its a non ac bus i ll go for 222 Viking i-egr as from operators am getting positive response on many aspects like negligible maintainance, no complex sensor systems and EGR with no DPF( the area where clogging happens.)

Eicher if choosen will be more like a trial and error option and frankly i ll not suggest it.

My view : 165HP SCR 222 Viking with a body mostly from SMK or Veera.
urzdeepu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 16:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
If i am in your place, without doubt i ll choose the Viking 222 SCR option for a DDAC application.
If its a non ac bus i ll go for 222 Viking i-egr as from operators am getting positive response on many aspects like negligible maintainance, no complex sensor systems and EGR with no DPF( the area where clogging happens.)

Eicher if choosen will be more like a trial and error option and frankly i ll not suggest it.

My view : 165HP SCR 222 Viking with a body mostly from SMK or Veera.
[quote: presently i own AL buses, and i also vouch for AL, but my worries have started after the new BS4 has come to market, there problems pertaining wiring harness and fuel supply related issues, the present buses are returning back to service centers in less than 5 days after continuous running.
Old 24th July 2017, 09:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prash315 View Post
we are mostly engaged in inbound tourist tour operations, they prefer center door , when compared to front door, it is little cumbersome to getin and getout.
I don't understand this logic. World over buses with single doors have the door in front overhang, while those with two have one in front overhang, and second in the wheelbase just ahead of the rear axle.
Front engine buses are not as common in the developed world as with us though.
Rahul
Old 24th July 2017, 15:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I don't understand this logic. World over buses with single doors have the door in front overhang, while those with two have one in front overhang, and second in the wheelbase just ahead of the rear axle.
Front engine buses are not as common in the developed world as with us though.
I think the answer lies in your question itself

The path into the passenger saloon through the door in the FOH is not as wide as the gangway, and a heavily built person won't be comfortable sneaking in, unlike walking in through a wider door on the WB that leads straight to the gangway. Unless the floor is raised to the level of the bonnet, like in the MAN FE coach, this cannot be made any better.

Having the door in the WB also provides for a secluded driver and crew cabin, helping in better noise insulation for the passenger saloon. That being said, AL engines have superior NVH characteristics compared to competition and hence even without a partition the saloon is relatively quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prash315 View Post
... my worries have started after the new BS4 has come to market, there problems pertaining wiring harness and fuel supply related issues, the present buses are returning back to service centers in less than 5 days after continuous running.
I guess these are teething issues and will be sorted out soon. The body workshops have to get used to the completely electronically managed engines and their wiring quirks. Been hearing from friends who are close to the operators and dealers that AL is providing support for these workshop technicians so that they don't make mistakes. And with the recently launched Workshop of Wheels, things should get better faster than before. You being an operator, would be able to find more information than I could.

Good luck with your purchase

Last edited by silversteed : 24th July 2017 at 15:51.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 11:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
... say Lynx Strong, Ultra or Bharat Benz 917 with a lower fare ...

...if you prefer a larger bus, you can rely on Viking 222"...

...Though the earlier ones didn't have much issues, for competitive advantage Ashok Leyland offered il engines across platforms.
Grossly and sorry for that, but Sir, would you please tell me the difference between AL Lynx , Viking and Cheetah bus platforms?

I know the Cheetah has a 6 cylinder engine and a larger clutch, but what I am asking is that is the Cheetah simply more robust and heavy duty? Is it preferred over the Viking in long distance or hilly terrain applications?

Thank you.
Old 17th September 2018, 14:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Grossly and sorry for that, but Sir, would you please tell me the difference between AL Lynx , Viking and Cheetah bus platforms?

I know the Cheetah has a 6 cylinder engine and a larger clutch, but what I am asking is that is the Cheetah simply more robust and heavy duty? Is it preferred over the Viking in long distance or hilly terrain applications?

Thank you.
Cheetah - a bus platform with a smaller FOH than Viking. No provision to have a door ahead of the front axle. Usually used in rural routes and ghat routes - easier maneuverability due to the shorter FOH. There are exceptions like the Parivartan service of MSRTC, which are Cheetah coaches, on long distance routes. Cheetah has a 6-cylinder engine.

Viking - AFAIK, the first Indian bus platform with a long FOH and provision to have a door ahead of the front axle. I've heard some drivers talk about unusual wear on the front tyres of the initial batches but that has been sorted out since long. It's also powered by a 6-cylinder engine. This platform has been offered in various guises such as city buses (normal floor height as well as semi low-floor version), intercity coaches, staff transport buses, etc.

Lynx - The Lynx Strong is a big small bus. Powered by a 4 cylinder engine, and with some wheel-base options similar to Cheetah, it offers better fuel performance than a Cheetah or Viking when used on the right kind of applications.

The Stag mini bus is now rechristened as Lynx Smart
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 20:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
Both buses are equally good. But since the bus is required in Bangalore better to go for AL. Keep away from Tata, My company had bad experiences with Tata buses.
Can you pls elaborate on the bad experiences?

Just curious, why is Tata not being considered by the person who started this thread.
Old 24th September 2018, 19:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The Stag mini bus is now rechristened as Lynx Smart
Its not just rechristened, but more work on Front axle, fuel pump and many more.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks