Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2015, 15:01   #1
BHPian

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR

Hello everyone.

I've searched high and low but have been unable to find a tutorial, so I'm posting a thread for this here.

I'd like to know the proper method for taking apart the 2013/14 Wagon R front music panel assembly and how to put it back together.

Here is the reason behind my request;

I own a 1 year old Maruti Wagon R VXi model, with integrated music system. The music system and speaker setup is more than adequate for my use as far as music is concerned, but I sorely miss not having integrated bluetooth for call purposes and streaming music from my phone (which I keep my audiobooks on).

The solution was to find a bluetooth car adapter which I have done in the form of the Kinivo BTC450 car unit. It's basically a bluetooth streaming device with integrated microphone that powers up from car cigarrette lighter socket and feeds music into the AUX of the car via 3.5mm audio cable. It works beautifully and I'm really happy.

Now comes the problem. The damn thing is wired. So both the main unit and the aux cable dangle in an ugly way in front of the dashboard. I can't stand that! To have a wireless setup consisting of dangling wires seems plain retarded to me. So I've even figured out the solution. I could route these wires in between the panel gaps between the head unit and the AC console and pull out the wires from underneath the dash and connect to the power socket from there.

I just don't know how to do it!

Can anyone please guide me on how to remove the panels and put them back together?

OrthodocX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 19:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR

I was not able to understand your intention, but First you have to wedge out the panel above the audio system. Slowly insert a screwdriver or any other hard and flat tool in the gap above the audio system. Use the screwdriver as a lever and lift the panel upwards gently and move along the gap repeating this. The top panel will come out. Here you will find three screws which you have to unscrew the audio system if required. After removing the screws, you just pull out the audio system.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 21:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Additionally, you may simply not want to pull out the wires from that gap. Fixing the system back will not be clean.

Instead, there is plenty of place in the rear of the music system. Simply route your cables from there into the glovebox (Lower).
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 22:02   #4
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I was not able to understand your intention, but First you have to wedge out the panel above the audio system. Slowly insert a screwdriver or any other hard and flat tool in the gap above the audio system. Use the screwdriver as a lever and lift the panel upwards gently and move along the gap repeating this. The top panel will come out. Here you will find three screws which you have to unscrew the audio system if required. After removing the screws, you just pull out the audio system.
Thank you. That worked partially. I went as far as removing the top panel and screws. But I was unable to pull out the front fascia or the music system.

Is the front plastic faceplate removable separately from the underlying 2 din system or it comes off with the entire music system?

I am stuck at this step. Any suggestions?

As for my plan, let me try to explain with a picture. I want to route two wires: 1. Aux cable and 2. wire leading from Bluetooth receiver (which is fixed to dashboard panel as shown) these meet at the 12 volt power socket. Instead of having them dangling in front of the panels, I want them hidden away from sight and tucked away behind the music system / AC panel and then I can rount them under the dashboard near driver footwell and into the DC power socket. This way, only a short piece of the aux cable is all that's visible and the system looks wireless and clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Additionally, you may simply not want to pull out the wires from that gap. Fixing the system back will not be clean.

Instead, there is plenty of place in the rear of the music system. Simply route your cables from there into the glovebox (Lower).
Sir, these are very thin wires and on probing the gap between panels, I'm reasonable confident there won't be much of a noticeable gap or incongruous fit if these wires were to pass between these two panels.

I was unable to understand your suggestion of routing them into the glovebox. I need them to go towards the driver's footwell (towards the power outlet). Please see above pic for explanation.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th April 2015 at 22:12. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 26th April 2015, 22:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

I think there would be clips around which will need some effort to pull out the HU or some soft prying at those places to remove the head unit, after you remove the screws. Were you very gentle or tried with some good force.

EDIT: From the picture the clips most likely would be on the top edge itself, maybe you can peep in from the front of windshield area to see if they are?

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th April 2015 at 22:17.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 22:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think there would be clips around which will need some effort to pull out the HU or some soft prying at those places to remove the head unit, after you remove the screws. Were you very gentle or tried with some good force.

EDIT: From the picture the clips most likely would be on the top edge itself, maybe you can peep in from the front of windshield area to see if they are?
I tried using reasonable force only... at one point, I strted hearing a sickly crunch and stopped because I feared I was about to rupture something!

Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into the top edge clip theory of yours tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, this is an open request to all TeamBHPians reading this thread. If any of you here have taken these panels apart, or know a car audio guy or a good mechanic, please help me out on this project by collecting and posting whatever info you can on this topic.
Old 26th April 2015, 22:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-untitwled.jpg

Insert the screw driver vertically in these regions, and pry the audio system. There are clips in the side and with moderate pressure it will release. You can pull out the audio system by hand as well by that might damage the clips. So its better you pry it out at these regions. The entire unit will come out. Just ensure that you dont pull the wiring harness excessively. The harness is long enough for the audio system to come half way IIRC. Not sure if it will entirely come out since it has been six months that I did this.

EDIT: I can strip it out tomorrow and post pictures if its not urgent.

Last edited by audioholic : 26th April 2015 at 22:59.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 08:05   #8
BHPian

UPDATE: Project accomplished successfully.
OrthodocX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 08:41   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrthodocX View Post
UPDATE: Project accomplished successfully.
Great! Do share some pictures at the end of the DIY.
Old 27th April 2015, 10:58   #10
BHPian

So here's what I did:

First, I removed the top cover (where we usually put God idol etc). Then, I removed the three holding screws that keep the music system in place. There were two more screws on either side, and I didn't know if removing them was necessary, but I did so anyway.

Then, as per jaggu and Audioholic's advice, I applied some real good force while trying to pry out the holding clips and with some considerable effort (I was scared to a point that I was going to break something), the entire assembly popped out. I checked to ensure that nothing was broken and indeed, nothing was.

The panel is tethered to the car by three cables:

1. The power supply to the system
2. Wire harness for speakers
3. Hazard light button wires

I detached the wire harness and hazard light, but the second cable was not coming out. So, I just left it in place and perched the assembly on the dash.

Looking through the gap thus created, revealed an open space leading below to the foot well. I routed the two wires in question (Aux cable and Bluetooth head unit cable) through this space, dropping the power adapter and wires into the driver's side foot well.

Now, I connected everything and checked that the system was working as expected before pushing the assembly back. It locking in place with a reassuring click. Then I replaced all five screws that I had removed, and snapped on the top panel.

I used double sided 3M tape to then mount the Bluetooth unit on the dash at the desired position.

I took the power adapter and inserted it into the DC 12V socket, and rolled up the extra wire, taking up all the slack and tucked it away in a recess that I found below the OBD port. This was then blocked by electrical tape, securing it in place and blocking it from view.

Now for the final setup:

The Bluetooth unit I'm using is a Kinivo BTC450 with A2DP and AptX support with a built in echo-cancelling microphone. It is powered by a DC adapter and powers on when I turn the key (basically, just like the built in music system). It feeds into the Aux port of the car and streams both music and calls through the car speakers. I chose to go with a DC powered unit instead of one with a built in battery as I wanted something that would turn on and off with the music system itself and not drain battery while not in use. I also didn't want the hassle of charging the unit (as is the case with some devices with built in battery). Another advantage is that the power adapter comes with a built in 1 Amp USB charging port, so that I can charge my phone while it's in the dock while also powering the Bluetooth unit. Among the options available with these functions, I chose this particular product because unlike other units like Belkin, Soundmate, etc. (which require you to press the button on the unit and pair it manually with the phone every time you enter the car), this one goes into auto pairing mode the moment it powers on. So it's fully automated and no user interaction is required at all.

My phone is mounted on the centre console using an iOttie One Touch XL mount onto which I have stuck an NFC sticker, programmed with Trigger to launch Car Mode, fire up Car Dashdroid app and turn on GPS Location and Bluetooth. It has a button that releases the spring loaded clamps as soon as the phone is placed in the cradle and these securely lock the phone in place. When I want to release the phone, I just press the release buttons on the side and the phone pops out into my hand.

I use a Galaxy Note 3 as my phone, and I use Trigger pro, Tasker pro and Secure Settings pro to help with the above-mentioned automation. Another neat mod I have done is using Xposed framework modules, I have set NFC to listen even with the screen locked.

So now, when I get into the car, all I have to do is to touch my phone to the cradle. It auto-locks into place, the phone reads the NFC sticker and goes into Car Mode and Bluetooth get turned on automatically. When I turn the car keys to either acc mode or ignition, the DC power fires up the Kinivo Bluetooth unit which auto pairs with the phone without any additional user input. This triggers the launch of PowerAmp Pro on my phone and music starts playing from the car's speakers. When I get a call, the music fades automatically and the caller's name is announced. Since the phone is in car mode, all I have to say is "Answer" or "Reject" for call actions. I can also do that manually by pressing the Kinivo's multi-function key, but voice operation is much cooler and safer, as I don't have to take my eyes off the road. I also use voice commands to trigger Google Now to make calls, navigate, etc. as I have set Google Voice Detection to always listening on any screen and respond to commands issued via Bluetooth. Finally, the exit strategy: when I turn off the car, the power to Bluetooth unit dies, thereby disconnecting Bluetooth from phone. This is a trigger for the phone to exit Car Mode, turn off Bluetooth and location and return to phone mode.

My car is now fully automated as far as integration with my phone is concerned. It has all the functions any luxury car stereo had and the best part is that it'll never be redundant as I can keep adding features via my smartphone.

The setup is minimalistic, clean and relatively wire-free and I am a happy, happy, happy man.

Showed my setup to a colleague and my wife. Both were blown away!

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-img_20150427_074630.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150426_183020.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150427_065707.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150427_065739.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150427_070339.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150427_070404.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150427_070723.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150427_070737.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150427_073118.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-20150427_073601.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-img_20150427_074649.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-img_20150427_074518.jpg  

DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-img_20150427_074317.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 28th April 2015 at 17:13. Reason: Inserting images
OrthodocX is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 11:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Slightly .

I have a double din Pio HU in my Wagon R.
As you know, there is some gap in the frame and the HU and it does not flush fit.

To elaborate, please refer to the pic(illustrative only)
DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR-imag0247-hdtv-1080.jpg

Is there any frame available to have a flush fit that gives close to OEM finish and not display the gap?
Where can this bracket be procured and what is the approx. cost?

I tries Ebay and Amazon to no avail BTW.
Old 27th April 2015, 12:09   #12
BHPian

I just wanted to thank both jaggu and audioholic for taking the time off to reply to my query. Even offering to take apart history car just to help me out in what might seem to some as a trivial quest. To me, it's a big deal as this is the first DIY mod that I've performed on a car. So once again, thanks to jaggu and audiophile in particular and the entire Team-BHP family in general for this wonderful experience. I hope this is just the beginning of many interesting mods to come, with all of your help, of course!
OrthodocX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 08:46   #13
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing a Bluetooth Kit in my WagonR

Hey. That looks brilliant. I tried the same thing but used a battery operated unit instead which goes to sleep once disconnected and another one unit in my Civic that uses a small wire. And yes, never liked the wire hanging in the dashboard as you said.
I basically use it for music streaming and not for calls since I'm not comfortable driving and speaking on a phone. But I still haven't solved the NFC tag issue i.e how to go about automatically calling a radio application like Ganna or Saavn (rarely use the music stored in my SD card). I know I can launch an application using NFC but I still haven't figured out how to select a particlar folder or favourite or radio station. The phone music player app works fine with controls and all but not a third party radio app as far as I know.
And how we're you able to toggle the location settings in your phone though Tasker? Was it rooted? I think that was what the Xposed framework modules does?
Old 29th April 2015, 10:30   #14
BHPian

Awesome DIY buddy.. Why don't you try this app called AutoMate instead of using the car mode function? AutoMate is still a Beta buy it looks exactly like the AndriodAuto interface.. There are a few bugs but I haven't faced any major annoyances.. Here's the link to download it from:

https://plus.google.com/communities/...88212710276577
Old 30th April 2015, 18:12   #15
BHPian

Great mate. This is really awsome. Initially i was contemplating the idea of changing the HU on both my cars to have this feature. But now i think i will buy this unit. Few queries that are ringing in my mind are

1. You mentioned that the music fades away and the name of caller gets displayed. Does the display happen on the HU of music system or on the phone
2. Is there a possibility to connect the 3.5mm audio jack from behind the music system.
3. Is there any way we could have the steering mounted controls for answering/rejecting calls.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th April 2015 at 18:44. Reason: Gr8 = Great

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks