Team-BHP - Old HDD Data to new PC?! and more...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Old HDD Data to new PC?! and more... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/39599-old-hdd-data-new-pc-more.html)

I got a new Lenovo K200 Ideacenter just yesterday.

What I wish to do now:
Questions:

Quote:

Its got a seal on the cabinet. Does the warranty become void if I open the cabinet to add anything I wish?!
Will performing any of the above task void the warranty?
1) if you install the HDD or CD writer in the old PC , yes it will void the warranty
2) if the RAM is installed by the authorized dealer , no issues , but chances are you will be overcharged a lot
3) you can put your old HDD in a externalUSB enclosure ( costs ~500) and connect it to your new PC :) - that wont void warranty

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 828181)
1) if you install the HDD or CD writer in the old PC , yes it will void the warranty
2) if the RAM is installed by the authorized dealer , no issues , but chances are you will be overcharged a lot
3) you can put your old HDD in a externalUSB enclosure ( costs ~500) and connect it to your new PC :) - that wont void warranty

1. What if I do install the old HDD and the CD-writer. And when the time comes to claim warranty, I just remove them off lol:

2. I bought it from Vijay Sales who actually gave me the wrong configuration. I was supposed to get 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD. Instead I got another model with 512MB RAM and 250GB HDD. I anyways took it.

The Vijay Sales guy said that he can give me an extra 512MB RAM for Rs 990/-. That would anyways mean opening the seal. I told him that instead I'll get the RAM from outside and put it in myself. He said that would be fine. He also added that everything must be present that came with the PC. If I add another RAM its okay, but the original 512MB RAM that came with the PC should be present inside.

3. What is it called?! You mean I can connect my old HDD (its quite old) to my new PC and transfer all data?!

Oh and another question:
How much does a external graphics card cost?! Well give me the most value-for-money one please?!

1- that would still mean removing the sticker - voided warranty.
2- as i expected , ram is overpriced by 2x. 1k should get you a GB of ram. check if your chipset supports dual channel, in that case , two identical RAM modules should be better.

3- as long as it is an IDE HDD , no issues. Just ask for an External USB Hard disk enclosure. you can get generic ones(tech com, zippy etc) for 500, and branded ones(transcend , vantek) for more.
4. There are no external gfx cards . only internal ones. what's your budget ?

Will pick that External USB Hard disk enclosure soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
that would still mean removing the sticker - voided warranty.

Are you very sure?! I'll have to read through that entire Warranty book now :Frustrati

Quote:

4. There are no external gfx cards . only internal ones. what's your budget ?
3k for graphics cards. But I'm not sure what motherboard I have and if it even supports it. I think there are graphic cards that can now be externally attached.

check if your motherboard has a PCI express slot.
No, I'm pretty sure there are no external gfx cards ;)

Do you have your old PC still?
Simply connect them together into a LAN.
Both will remain FULLY operational and you can access one from the other, transfer data, use the optical drives et all....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 828284)
Will pick that External USB Hard disk enclosure soon!

Are you very sure?! I'll have to read through that entire Warranty book now :Frustrati

3k for graphics cards. But I'm not sure what motherboard I have and if it even supports it. I think there are graphic cards that can now be externally attached.

this will surely void your warranty if that sticker is removed :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 828366)
Do you have your old PC still?
Simply connect them together into a LAN.
Both will remain FULLY operational and you can access one from the other, transfer data, use the optical drives et all....

agree: for that you just need a 20 rs cross cable.

Use this to determine which motherboard, RAM, etc is installed in the your PC - CPUID.

There are no external graphics card. Try stretching your budget to 5k for the card.

One suggestion..

Instead of dealing with sales/support. Talk to one of the guys who installed the PC, they will happily procure and install RAM etc (and Fix new Warranty sticker) for 500 Rs.

Easiest option in my experience so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 828168)
I got a new Lenovo K200 Ideacenter just yesterday.

What I wish to do now:
  • Copy all data from my previous HDDs to the new PC OR Install the old HDD to the PC.
  • Add another 1GB or 512MB RAM to boost performance.
  • Install my previous CD-Writer to the PC.
Questions:
  • Its got a seal on the cabinet. Does the warranty become void if I open the cabinet to add anything I wish?!
  • Will performing any of the above task void the warranty?!

DONT GET THAT SEAL OFF. IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 828181)
3) you can put your old HDD in a externalUSB enclosure ( costs ~500) and connect it to your new PC - that wont void warranty

Yes, they will overcharge horribly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 828217)

What if I do install the old HDD and the CD-writer. And when the time comes to claim warranty, I just remove them off

They will come to know this from that Sticker Seal

Quote:

I bought it from Vijay Sales who actually gave me the wrong configuration. I was supposed to get 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD. Instead I got another model with 512MB RAM and 250GB HDD. I anyways took it.

The Vijay Sales guy said that he can give me an extra 512MB RAM for Rs 990/-. That would anyways mean opening the seal. I told him that instead I'll get the RAM from outside and put it in myself. He said that would be fine. He also added that everything must be present that came with the PC. If I add another RAM its okay, but the original 512MB RAM that came with the PC should be present inside.

They are overcharging you way too much. Rs 900 is what is the cost of Kingston 1GB RAM. At you location it will be around 950-1000 Rs.

There are many ways to transfer all data. USB is the best option.

Quote:

Oh and another question:
How much does a external graphics card cost?! Well give me the most value-for-money one please?!

You can get Point-Of-View 8600GT for around 5K. 3K is sufficient for 8400.
IMHO, you should raise the graphics card budget to 5-6K. Again you will have to check your motherboard for PCI X16 slot. Again if you use some software like PCWorks to detect PCI X16 bus, but then, there are chances that you may not have that slot.
use CPUID to detect you motherboard version.

Lenovo IdeaCentre K200 Desktop PC CyberIndian Tech
Quote:

Lenovo K200 desktop also offers free Slots including one PCI Express 16X Full height, one PCI Express 1X Full height and two PCI Full height slots.
I suppose that's taken care of :)

just curious , since the OP was asking for an external graphics card, and that he bought a branded system from a supermarket, A few questions -

1 You do know what a Gfx card does right :D
2 Why do you need a gfx card ? - specifically for what applications/games

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 829172)

A few questions -
Why do you need a gfx card ? - specifically for what applications/games

He already mentioned 3K as limit. Hope he can extend it to 5-6K, where he will really have good options.
Under 3K is, I think RD3450 from Asus. It will get hot if its only passive cooling.
I dont think that he can get a good reasonable gaming graphics card for 3K.

aagg, assuming that he needs it for gaming may not be always right. lets see what he needs it for before starting with the suggestions :)

I need the graphics card for gaming. But are the ones you guys talking about externally attachable?! Through USB?!

I'll call up the Lenovo HelpLine tomm and check with them about the seal.