Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2005, 22:13   #1
BHPian

Automobile Designing Software???

Guys,
I have been designing cars and bikes for the past 2 years and practically every page in my classroom notes has a minimum of 3-4 drawings. However, my dad's fed up of seeing more of drawings than notes in my books...so do you people have any suggestions for a good designing cum modifying software???
I want to take my drawings to another level by shifting them to the computer and saving them for further updates and stuff. I was fascinated when I saw one such modifying s/w in "Fast and the Furious".
If you have any ideas or knowledge of these softwares please do let me know.

I'll be looking forward to your suggestions.
Old 3rd July 2005, 00:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ummmm....Mods, shouldn't this be in the main Shifting Gears area? \

@sid...no idea...Pro Engineering I can think of...but that's a complete chassis design s/w, as far as I know.
Old 3rd July 2005, 08:55   #3
BHPian

Do it in rhino, ery pwerful and cheap software. U need to learn basics for some time after that its very easy. there are lot of softwares for surface generations; if you are really serious abt stuff you need to spend around 5 lks for everything softwares, tablets other stuff. Well rhino costs 10,000 rs for student version and you need good graphics card 128 and a good rendering machine(computer atleast 3 ghz and 1024 mb ram).if you wat the other ideal pro package let me know i will give you the list and places to find them.
Old 3rd July 2005, 09:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Ummmm....Mods, shouldn't this be in the main Shifting Gears area?
What exactly do you mean? It is in Shifting Gears only. Did you mean to say it should be somewhere else?
Old 3rd July 2005, 10:32   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
What exactly do you mean? It is in Shifting Gears only. Did you mean to say it should be somewhere else?
when sid posted this thread last night it was in the meets section ..so one moved it to shifting gears in the morning.
Old 3rd July 2005, 15:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Rudra sir, it was in the meet section last night! One of the mods shifted it later.
Old 4th July 2005, 14:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

Sid,

I dont know how serious or experienced you are in this feild, but check out Alias Auto Studio. See if you can get yourself a PLE (personal learning edition - will be free) to practise on.

cya
R
Old 4th July 2005, 14:38   #8
BHPian

i thought these kinda stuff was done in AutoCAD and stuff. give it a try!
Old 4th July 2005, 14:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Try one of the following (as you go down below are heavy end softwares, required only if you own a auto. company )

1) Rhino.
2) Autodesk 3-D studio.
3) Alias.
4) Icem Surf.
5) Pro/Engineer.
6) Unigraphics.
7) Catia.
8) CADDS5 (grandfather of all).
Old 4th July 2005, 14:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

Don't know about the windows platform, but a search on sourceforge will list you lots of cad softwares which are opensource. they will not give you as much functionality as AutoCad, but they they are free.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:59   #11

Re: Automobile Designing Software???

Most automobile companies ie Honda, Denso (Toyota), and various others japanese organizations use Catia. The number two most popular probably will be solid works with Pro Engineering being third.
I find pro E being easier to work with, and classes are available everywhere within India. I don't know of any place that will give you lessons in Automobile design specifically but you just need to take some basic modeling courses what will run like 2-3 weeks long and your imagination after that. (I'm figuring you're just doing this for fun and not for a career as of now)
I know Cad Center is a relatively famous place to learn the basics for any of the above listed software. Hopefully this information helps!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks