Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2007, 10:53   #1

Wagon R or Swift Vxi?

Hi to all members
First my appreciation & sincere thanks to all who have made this forum a veritable source of information for all things related to cars
This is my first post since i am confused on which car to buy.
I have never driven any & enrolled today for driving classes & need to buy the car before
Diwali.
I have shortlisted Wagon R & Swift VXi
Here the issue i need help from u guys
Wagon R
1. I hear that its a dated model & may be phased out, i need a car for atleast 5 years & should look contemporary after 5 yrs too?
2. I am inclined towards duo but is it safe option assuming theres a collision on the backside?
3. Also how does the performance of only petrol model & duo campare, whats the per Km running cost for petrol & gas, did anybody face any problems with duo?
4.What about ABS , is it a must for noobs , i am not sure its available with duo?
Swift Vxi
1.Most ppl tell me its not suitable for noobs, is it driver fiendly car or demands some expertise?
2.Is swift maintenance costlier then wagon R, does te car ask for lot of maintennace related expenses?
3. I do want to take my car for occasional long trips, which car is better for seating 4 ppl?

Although going by looks i am more inclined towards swift
Need expert help
Thanks
Rakesh
Old 1st November 2007, 12:35   #2
BHPian

Though maintenance is a bit on higher side compared to Wagon-R, swift is a very good option for long drives (of course, rear seat is not as comfortable as other competitive models in the class). You do not need any extra expertise to drive swift, once u r in the league, you will enjoy driving it. If you compare, swift is far superior than Wagon R in all departments.

If you are really keen on maintenance, you have to 'adjust' with WagonR.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 1st November 2007 at 12:36.
Old 1st November 2007, 12:51   #3
BHPian

go for swift

hi
the only advantage with wagaon r may it's fuel efficiency.also wagon r's tall boy design is getting boutdated...so i recomend u swift which is more sporty and stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchlover View Post
Hi to all members
First my appreciation & sincere thanks to all who have made this forum a veritable source of information for all things related to cars
I have never driven any & enrolled today for driving classes & need to buy the car before
Diwali.
Wagon R
1. I hear that its a dated model & may be phased out, i need a car for atleast 5 years & should look contemporary after 5 yrs too?
2. I am inclined towards duo but is it safe option assuming theres a collision on the backside?
3. Also how does the performance of only petrol model & duo campare, whats the per Km running cost for petrol & gas, did anybody face any problems with duo?
4.What about ABS , is it a must for noobs , i am not sure its available with duo?
Swift Vxi
1.Most ppl tell me its not suitable for noobs, is it driver fiendly car or demands some expertise?
2.Is swift maintenance costlier then wagon R, does te car ask for lot of maintennace related expenses?
3. I do want to take my car for occasional long trips, which car is better for seating 4 ppl?

Need expert help
Thanks
Rakesh
Old 1st November 2007, 13:02   #4
BHPian

Hi,
Believe me Swift is far better a car than Wagon R any day for me in any aspect. For me too Swift was the first car i drove after learning driving ( in a santro) and out of the driving class. Swift doesnt require any expertise though i feel its more friendly to drive than a Wagon R also comparitively safer. Its a driver's car and you will really enjoy driving it on a highway.

My Swift is 1 year old and touch wood i havnt faced a single trouble so far, though very early to tell. Its giving me 12 kmpl in city and 16-18 kmpl on highway.
Interior space not comparable to getz (which has longest wheel base in segment) still I find it easy to get in and out though i am almost six feet. Swift is widest in its segment and can accomodate 3 people in the rear seat comparatively better than any other car in its segment, for two + two its luxury.

If you drive around a lot inside city the advantage what i see with wagon fitted with LPG is that your running cost will be very low but comparitively more on maintenanace again for using LPG..
Old 1st November 2007, 13:14   #5
BHPian

Swift it should be!

Driving around should not be too much of an issue. It is about getting used to a car and once you get used to it no car is too much of a hassel to drive IMHO.

Also you can take your cause further by actually asking your driving school guy to teach you on a Swift!
Old 1st November 2007, 13:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

I have not much idea about the difference in maintenance costs of Swift and Wagon R, but from the feedbacks of several friends who have Swift, I think it is quite cheap to maintain and hassle free apart from a few rattles here and there. Morover the Swift is a better overall car than the Wagon R which is almost at the end of its life cycle. So IMO you should opt for Swift and be happy for the next 5 years
Old 1st November 2007, 13:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Let me add to the confusion:

Hyundai i10. Nice looking car. Do take a test drive and compare it with others, may be you'll like it.
Old 1st November 2007, 13:50   #8
BHPian

Hey
Hatchlover, firstly welcome to this amazing place known as Team BHP.
Your issue over the choice between a Swift(VXI) and a Wagon R (VXI i presume) has some points to be discussed first:

1. How much do you drive in a day.
2. What kind of lifestyle you have
3. your budget
4. Style or space

Now i have both the Wagon R and the Swift VXI. Personaly this is what i feel:

WAGON R
PROS:
# GOOD FUEL ECONOMY
# SPACE IS ADEQUATE
# SPLIT FOLDABLE REAR SEATS
# SPARES ARE A LITTLE CHEAPER THAN OF THE SWIFT
CONS:
# NOT THAT SAFE
# DRIVEABILITY IS NOT THAT GREAT
# LOOKS ARE AVERAGE
# QUALITY IS CHEAP
# BRAKING IS OK
# BECOMES LITTLE DICY AT SPEEDS ABOVE 100KMPH
# DEFINATELY NOT A CAR FOR A SMARTER RACE :-b
# 13" WHEEL SIZE
SWIFT(VXI)
PROS:
# REALLY GOOD LOOKING(THATS WHAT I BOUGHT IT FOR)
# INTERIORS ARE GOOD
# SEATS ARE REALLY COMFORTABLE
# DASH AND METERS ARE GOOD LOOKING
# HIGHLY MANOUVERABLE
# STABLE ON HIGH SPEEDS (140KMPH +)
# BRAKING IS GOOD
# EASILY CRUISE ON 140KMPH
# 14" WHEELS
# SEATS ARE GREAT FOR LONG TRIPS
# AIR CON IS AWESOME
# SUSPENSION IS GREAT
# DRIVING AT 140KMPH THE FRAMERATE FEELS LIKE YOU ARE AT 100KMPH
CONS:
# POOR FUEL ECONOMY (10-14KMPL)
# QUALITY OF MATERIAL IS NORMAL
# EXPENSIVE SPARES
# RATTLES ON BAD ROADS
# POOR VISIBILITY FROM THE REAR WINDSHIELD
# REAR JUDGEMENT IS A LITTLE PROBLEM

If fuel economy is not much of an issue then go for the Swift VXI with ABS
Old 1st November 2007, 14:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchlover View Post
Hi to all members
Diwali.
Wagon R
Swift Vxi

Need expert help
Thanks
Rakesh
Hatchlover, a warm welcome to Team-bhp.

My brother has a Swift Vxi and I own a Wagon R Vxi. I don't drive his car much and there is a very good reason for it - after driving his car and then driving my Wagon R, I feel like a pauper!

No, not a must for noobs. But personally I think it should be a must for all cars for safety reasons ( Seat belts, ABS, and airbags).

Get the Swift my good man, get the Swift.

You will get used to the car's dimensions. Very driver friendly car I would say. It is a driver's car.
Old 1st November 2007, 14:33   #10
BHPian

no way wagonr, swift if u are a maritu fanboy OR if u want something just launched globally and will last 5 years easy hyundai i10
Old 1st November 2007, 15:28   #11
BHPian

Man if you want to drive a four wheel auto then WagonR or if you wanna a drive a peppy car go for the swift.

Go for the swift buddy
Old 1st November 2007, 17:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

If budget is not a constraint, prefer Swift VXI with ABS since it is a more powerful and better car. Buy ABS. Swift VXI with ABS should cost around perhaps Rs. 4.7 lakhs which is a lot better spec- than top-spec Wagon R which might be for around 4 lakhs.

Do not worry about size or Swift's rear view problem, as you will get over it pretty soon. My wife's first driven car is a Corsa!, and I have seen new female drivers starting out in a City or even higher.
Old 1st November 2007, 17:47   #13

Thanks

Thank u guys
got to learn a lot, was not knowing that Wagon R is a dangerous car at 100+ & that LPG kit also has significant maintenance costs.
Nowadays cars are being launched without any fanfare , got to know form here that i10 was launced checked the site & the thread here.
Will check in showroom but it seems pricey with ABS in top end only
What i would certainly hate is that after paying more for i10 , a swift swiftly cruises ahead
Old 1st November 2007, 23:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
(of course, rear seat is not as comfortable as other competitive models in the class)
It is quite comfortable and much much more than Wagon R. It's lower seats are longer and cover the whole of thighs and are relaxing. For leg room, keep the front seats at 2nd position from extreme front. This way there is sufficient space for uptil 6 feet guys...
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

dude since you wanna keep for five years why not wait till hyundai launches its i10 called abroad as "pa", i am guessing its maintainance is on par with swift, and i think this should be good for a newbie as a first car, as i heard this may replace the hyundai santro!

i went out of the way to suggest this car because its got more power than a wagonR and less power than a swift! and the After Sales Service is on par with swift's i guess, and i my opinion suits a newbie better!

Last edited by rider60 : 2nd November 2007 at 04:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks