Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 14:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works

Link to News Section

Next year, Tata Motors will launch two new cars (new Vista and Manza compact sedan) based on the Falcon platform, a platform that is a tweaked version of the X1 platform currently underpinning the likes of the Indica and Indigo passenger car lines. Team-BHP's sources have informed us that Tata Motors will also add a crossover to the Falcon range. The crossover that Tata Motors plans to add will be based on the Falcon 4 or the revamped Indica Vista.

Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-tata-vista-d90-extreme-crossover-concept.jpg

Note: Tata Vista D90 Crossover Concept image used for illustrative purposes.

Engines and transmissions of the crossover based on the Falcon platform is likely to be borrowed from the Falcon 5 (Manza compact sedan) hatchback. So, expect the 1.3 liter Fiat Multijet turbo diesel engine and a turbocharged version of the 1.2 liter XETA petrol engine to power the new crossover. A five speed manual gearbox and a front wheel drive layout will be standard on the crossover. An all wheel drive option isn't on the scheme of things as the Tata crossover will be aimed mainly at city slickers, looking for a high riding alternate to B+ segment hatchbacks.

A 2015 launch is likely for Tata Motors' crossover, which is likely to take on the likes of the Ford EcoSport and the upcoming Maruti XA Alpha compact SUV, in terms of price and positioning. A sub-4 meter length for Tata Motors' compact SUV is likely, which will allow it to take advantage of the lower excise that the Indian government charges for sub-4 meter compact cars. Tata Motors is unlikely to use the Indica/Indigo badges on the crossover.

Tata Motors is yet to have a presence in the fast growing compact SUV sector of the Indian car market. Tata Motors absence in this segment comes at a time when other car makers, both foreign and domestic, are cashing on the growing demand for compact SUVs. Both Mahindra and Maruti Suzuki have plans of entering this segment in 2015 with multiple product, and with Tata Motors also joining the compact SUV brigade, the car buyer in India is likely to be swamped by a surfeit of choices.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 12th November 2013 at 14:42. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 15:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works

MotorBash Spies Vista Facelift in Pune!

Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-vistafaceliftfalcon4pic.jpg

http://motorbash.com/2014-tata-vista...e-launch-2014/
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 15:49   #3
BHPian

re: Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works

I doubt Tata will ever learn from their mistakes. If the Tata Vista D90 Crossover Concept is the one that is going to emerge in the market then god help them.

I thought Tata was going to come out with cars that are of a completely new platform. If they just keep doing the Volkswagen Polo sort of a thing to Indica then they are just going to end with same cab wallahs for majority of customers(no offence to owners).

I am really hoping Tata does well being an Indian company and also having JLR by its side.
Old 12th November 2013, 20:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works

Tata has a capable diesel engine (Fiat's MJD) to power their cars and small SUV's if they wish to build one. Vista itself is a quiet comfortable car which suggest that underpinning is decent. They also have their own 1.4 ltr frugal diesel engine which they can add to launch a car with attractive inviting price. However all this is not adding up to keep the sales high or match with the competition only because their rather weird design philosophy.

Why cant they keep decade old design cues aside (tail light, grill etc) and start designing something from scratch? Why every Tata looks like Indica?

Will they ever learn from Hyundai? Look at their initial offerings, except Hyundai emblem nothing else was common design wise in any of their cars. Once they settled as a brand they came up with 'family face'.

Wake up Tata. Give us something which does not remind us of Indica, design wise inside out

Back to this SUV/Cross over, I hope its not Vista on weed!
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 21:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
I doubt Tata will ever learn from their mistakes. If the Tata Vista D90 Crossover Concept is the one that is going to emerge in the market then god help them.

I thought Tata was going to come out with cars that are of a completely new platform. If they just keep doing the Volkswagen Polo sort of a thing to Indica then they are just going to end with same cab wallahs for majority of customers(no offence to owners).

I am really hoping Tata does well being an Indian company and also having JLR by its side.
The news clearly states that vista D90 crossover concept is used for illustrative purpose. Actual vehicle will not look like that.
If you look closely to the scoops of revamped vista then you will see lots of changes in the front and rear. It is not very easy to change entire shape of the car in the short period of time. And it is expensive also. International manufactures able to do it because they have presence worldwide and lots of money to invest.
Please have a faith on tata motors. They are working hard to revamp their products. Please google tata X0 concept and you will get idea of how next generation tata cars will look like. The future of tata is bright for sure
tushky is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 21:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
The news clearly states that vista D90 crossover concept is used for illustrative purpose. Actual vehicle will not look like that.
If you look closely to the scoops of revamped vista then you will see lots of changes in the front and rear.
Thanks for the above information!

I have read the news clearly and I was just saying that the possibility of the illustrated picture should be ruled out which is more like polo and it's crossover.

Quote:
It is not very easy to change entire shape of the car in the short period of time. And it is expensive also. International manufactures able to do it because they have presence worldwide and lots of money to invest.
I understand that changing a car's platform requires intense research and a lot has to be invested into the R&D but just look at Tata Safari after such a long wait they gave back the same car with minor updates. I am hoping they do not end up same.

Quote:
Please have a faith on tata motors. They are working hard to revamp their products. Please google tata X0 concept and you will get idea of how next generation tata cars will look like. The future of tata is bright for sure
There is thread related to X0/Dolphin hatchback in our Team-BHP here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hatchback.html

No matter what the sketches look like, the car rolling out of the production line will be the same as Indica. I am trying to keep faith on Tata and hoping they do not disappoint.
Old 13th November 2013, 10:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post

but just look at Tata Safari after such a long wait they gave back the same car with minor updates. I am hoping they do not end up same.

It would be unfair to call Storme just a minor update / same car as Safari. Yes the exteriors do resemble to the Safari, but the underpinnings are completely different. it is a vast improvement over the Safari and you have to testdrive the Storme to really feel the difference.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 10:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Another spyshot of the Falcon4 courtesy IAB:

Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-2014tatavistafaceliftrear.jpg
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 14:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
It would be unfair to call Storme just a minor update / same car as Safari. Yes the exteriors do resemble to the Safari, but the underpinnings are completely different. it is a vast improvement over the Safari and you have to testdrive the Storme to really feel the difference.
I was only referring to the exterior update since that is what my discussion is about. I loved the way the car handled than before and also the brilliant ride quality. The interiors had significantly improved over the earlier one and hence at no cost was I referring to the overall package.

What I mean to say is that people are eagerly waiting to see a new car rather than mere facelifts in the name of new strategies.

Please note: I am not against Tata rather I am in support of Tata to bring us a great product. I am perhaps having too many expectations.
Old 13th November 2013, 15:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

I hope they ditch the tear drop shape altogether. The new projects better be not just all new platforms but absolutely new/fresh exteriors that have no overhang from the India/Vista projects.

Any reference externally to these older platforms/models might be so counter productive.
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata will showcase a compact crossover concept at the Expo. This concept SUV will be based on the Vista’s X1 platform - Nexon ( Overdrive reports aS Nexcon). To challenge the Ford EcoSport and Quanto.
Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-20140203015453.jpg

Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-tatabolthatchbackcaughtontestiab.jpg
Quote:
Powering the Nexcon concept will be the recently unveiled 85PS/140Nm Revotron engine. This engine will be mated to a new 5-speed gearbox. Tata is also rumored to bring in an automated manual system in the Nexcon concept. This gearbox will function similar to Maruti’s Celerio and should take the fatigue out of changing gears while giving the fuel economy similar to a manual.
Tata will also put a diesel engine under the hood of the Nexcon. It will likely be the 75PS multijet which makes 190Nm of torque. It will come mated to a manual box
http://overdrive.in/news/tata-nexcon...014-auto-expo/

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd February 2014 at 12:23.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 14:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata unveils the Nexon compact SUV concept at the 2014 Auto Expo!

Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-tatanexoncrossoverconcept1.jpg

The Nexon crossover is likely to use the new range of REVOTRON turbo petrol engines that Tata Motors is developing. The diesel engine of the crossover could either be the 1.3 liter Fiat Multijet unit or a new motor that Tata Motors is said to be developing.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th February 2014 at 15:01.
Old 5th February 2014, 15:08   #13
BHPian

Looks pretty cool.....Love the blue.
The tyres look huge on the car.
Old 5th February 2014, 15:42   #14
BHPian

Nexon looks good, will take Ecosport head-on. I am not sure what has struck Tata Motors, but they seem to be on fire.

Pictures below (source Autocarindia's twitter handle)

The front look:
Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-nexon3.jpg

The rear:
Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-nexon1.jpg

Interiors:
Scoop: Tata Falcon-based crossover in the works-nexon2.jpg
Old 5th February 2014, 16:02   #15
BHPian

great concept! It looks better than XA Alpha.

Hope tata refines it further and introduces it quickly with 100 bhp petrol and some new 1.5 litre diesel engine which they are said to be developing, they sure can cover some lost ground.

ps :Zigwheel says that Nexon concept is powered by 3 cylinder 1.2 litre petrol engine developing 110 bhp and 170 nm torque with top speed of 180 kmph with 17.6kmpl FE and 4 wheel drive. If this engine is from revotron family, we can expect 20kmpl from 1.2 engine with lower specs.

Last edited by rock75 : 5th February 2014 at 16:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks