Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th February 2017, 16:03   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Let's talk about our dad's vehicles!

Such a lovely thread!

Brings me back all the memories.

*Before my birth*
My dad had a super humble start with a Lambretta. When he used to date ma. He also had a personal autorickshaw back then!

*After I was born*
He had a Matador for business and had a Kinetic Honda for personal use which was later replaced by the Hero Honda Splendor which is still with us.

He then moved to car renting where I have seen a lot of cars. From the 118NE, the Maruti Omni to the 2001 Honda City 1.5 EXI (The car I learnt to drive on), Toyota Corolla (I remember seeing the Odometer reading 225xxx kms once), Honda CR-V was there too for a short stint, Mitsubishi Lancer SLXi, The Dolphin Honda City, Toyota Innova, Toyota Corolla Altis 'J'

Personally, he had the Ford Fiesta 1.4 EXI which he sold recently.
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 17:17   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I grew up with my dad's UK road atlas always in the glove compartment of the car. Due to the childhood memory, it was one of the few things I brought back from my parents' house after my mother died (Dad had passed away some time before).

This book dates back to 1930, and he had listed his cars on the inside cover. Actually checking out those cars was something I always meant to get around to! <Blush>

Sadly, the book was among our many treasures lost to the Chennai flood, but the notes were readable and I was able to save them with the camera.

Thad's Dad's Cars...

Let's talk about our dad's vehicles!-img_20151207_170615.jpg

Let's talk about our dad's vehicles!-img_20151207_170638.jpg

Let's talk about our dad's vehicles!-img_20151207_170652.jpg

Let's talk about our dad's vehicles!-img_20151207_170657.jpg

Let's talk about our dad's vehicles!-img_20151207_170705.jpg

Let's talk about our dad's vehicles!-img_20151207_170711.jpg
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 20:35   #48
BHPian

Great Thread. Felt good to refresh those old memories.

1979 - When he landed his first Job, Dad used to commute from Anna Nagar, Madras to Velachery (he had to change buses somewhere mid-way) and this was proving quite tiresome and time-consuming.

1980 - He bought his first two-wheeler, the Lamby 150 that incidentally came with a chain drive. My Grandfather used a Yezdi before which he had sold off sometime during the 70s due to the family's financial condition. My dad got married (I feel funny saying this) in mid 80s and the Lamby became the family vehicle to ferry us around all around Madras. My maternal uncle owned yet another Yezdi and I was in awe of the single barrel headlight that always seemed extremely powerful in comparison to our Lamby which had candles for headlights

1992: We moved to A.P (this region is now in Telangana) and the Lamby 150 moved along with us to the new place. Being more than 10 years old, it had its fair share of problems. It used to shut off without warning often stranding us in the middle of the road. It was during one such incident, where we had to attend an important function, the Lamby simply died, when my dad decided enough was enough. He sold it for a princely sum of Rs.1500 and paid an advance for the most sought after scooter sold in the early 90s. The Bajaj Chetak.

1992 to till date The Bajaj Chetak is still alive and kicking after almost 25 years now with almost 100K KMs on the Odo. My dad used it till 2000 post which I used it (I was underage then) and then it passed on to my dad's friend who used it from 2003 till 2007 post which it was used by his son before he moved on to a bike. The scooter is still occasionally being used by my dad's friend and I still love riding it sometimes.

2000-2003 These were times of vivid memories. Dad purchased a used 1993 Maruti 800 in milky white, our family's first car. The car was an absolute beauty. It had a leather wrapped dashboard(I am not kidding here) and beautiful wheel covers. Sadly, the car met with a major accident in 2002 near Hyderabad. He had major injuries to his left hand but was otherwise unhurt. We used the car for a further 1 year before he purchased his next car. This was the car in which both me and my dad learnt driving. A special car and I still remember the first time I set eyes on it.

2003-2008: Maruti Alto LXi: What an improvement it was from the old 800. It had 5 gears, had a super chilling AC, power steering and a fancy number. Felt like a great upgrade. The car server well for the 5 uneventful years it was with us and we undertook numerous long drives to Bangalore, Chennai etc. from Hyderabad. It was sold to someone who says he still drives this till date.

2008-2015: Sunlight Copper Swift VXi: Again, what an upgrade. We had power windows, a cool sounding USB/CD player and the Swift felt like an upgrade from a studio apartment to a Bungalow. It served well. I was using it during my MBA days and I had real fun with it. We especially used to love red-lining the G13B motor and it used to cross a ton in 2nd gear itself. A true performance hatch that doubled up as a comfortable family vehicle. Dad sold it to his colleague.

2015 till date: Dad said he wanted to own a performance Diesel before he retired and the Figo TDCi proved to be the best option for him. It had mind-blowing performance for a hatch under 10L and I consider it very good VFM. In the last 15 months and 13000 odd KMs it has been with us, it has proved very reliable, frugal and light on the pocket by way of maintenance.

Phew! That was a Long post!!
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 23:00   #49
BHPian

My father owned a 1985 Bajaj Chetak, I still remember its registration number. Even back then he would wear a helmet when ever he went out.

Then a 1990 red maruti 800. Mercury Sable, Toyota Camry and Plymouth Grand Voyager between 1993 to 2000 when we were in the United States.

Then he moved around in a Fiat Palio and Ford Ikon for the next decade. Now he has shifted to his hometown and says that he owns the best vehicle of his life, a red Honda Activa!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   Reply With Quote