Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 23:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Drift '09! Time/Speed/Distance event

Hey guys, this is Rajeev here. I am the student of Saboo Siddik college of engineering (automobile department) & this year, i am the chairman of the automotive fest of our college- 'AUTOMOTIVATION '09'.
The major event in this fest would be the car rally. i am also the event head for this event. This rally will run in a TSD (Time/Speed/Distance) format. The crew consists of a driver & navigator. the navigator will be handed a map with directions, odometer readings & hints. the driver has to follow the navigator's instructions. this event will cover a 55 km route around mumbai streets, there will be checkpoints along the route where marshalls will note the car timings & also to ensure nobody cheats!
All in all, its a very fun event, especially for those who love driving! It can be a thrilling experience to follow maps & odo readings!

Details are as below:
Venue: M. H. Saboo Siddik College of Engg., Byculla, Mumbai
Date: 22nd March
Day: Sunday
Crew: Driver + Navigator (co-driver), extra 3 crew members allowed.
Entry Fees: Rs. 400 for Driver+Navigator, Rs. 100 per extra crew member.

Those who are interested may email me on automotivation09@yahoo.in or leave your e-mail id here, i will contact you or send you the entire details of the event.

Visit our Blog: automotivation09.blogspot.com

MODS, this is not any sort of advertising, i feel some T-BHP members may be interested in such an event, hence such a post.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 13th March 2009 at 23:56.
Old 13th March 2009, 23:59   #2
BHPian

I feel it should be in the Motor Sports section.

Good to see such events organized, especially by engineering students.
Old 14th March 2009, 00:42   #3
BANNED

It's a great effort. Will kick up some good enthusiasm and passion for motorsports!

TSD rallies are good and teaches lots of initial steps to the world of real rallying.

But did I see DRIFT???
Old 14th March 2009, 00:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey thats some really good news.never heard of this.

have a few questions.what about traffic ,pedestrians, animals along the route ? what about speed limits do they have to be followed ? can you please provide details..

rev

Last edited by revtech : 14th March 2009 at 01:03.
Old 14th March 2009, 01:01   #5

MUMBAI DRIFT is the name of this event. Mods, please do move this to motorsports.
Old 14th March 2009, 08:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Drift is the name of the event, it has nothing to do with drifting!!!

yes, revtech, i'll clear your doubts:
1) it will be a sunday, so traffic will be minimal.
2) you will be driving along normal mumbai roads.
3) permission has been taken from the RTO for this event so all the traffic policemen will know from the banners that you are in a rally. but that DOES NOT give you the permission to break traffic rules or driver rashly. you will have to follow all traffic rules & regulations.
4) speed limits to be followed will be indicated in the map. the average speed to be followed by the driver (for any particular stretch) will be mentioned in the map itself. the timing has been calculated on that basis.
5) the time taken between 2 checkpoints has been calculated by considering all the above points.

ALSO, THOSE WHO NEED A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE EVENT, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR E-MAIL ID WITH THE POST, I'LL MAIL YOU THE SOFT COPY.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th March 2009 at 08:42.
Old 14th March 2009, 10:58   #7
BHPian

Just out of curiosity,
Whats the point of a rally if there are speed limits ? If all participants are to maintain same speed limits, how would you determine the winner ?

Is it just a Point A - Point B Rally ? Sort of a promo event or something ?
Similar to FCCCI rallies ?
Old 14th March 2009, 11:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Just out of curiosity,
Whats the point of a rally if there are speed limits ? If all participants are to maintain same speed limits, how would you determine the winner ?

Is it just a Point A - Point B Rally ? Sort of a promo event or something ?
Similar to FCCCI rallies ?
No not like FCCCI. More like VCCCI or like the Blind man's rally we had recently.
Old 14th March 2009, 11:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
No not like FCCCI. More like VCCCI or like the Blind man's rally we had recently.
Yeah yeah, you got the point.Thats what matters
Old 14th March 2009, 13:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

1) it will be a sunday, so traffic will be minimal.
2) you will be driving along normal mumbai roads.
3) permission has been taken from the RTO for this event so all the traffic policemen will know from the banners that you are in a rally. but that DOES NOT give you the permission to break traffic rules or driver rashly. you will have to follow all traffic rules & regulations.
4) speed limits to be followed will be indicated in the map. the average speed to be followed by the driver (for any particular stretch) will be mentioned in the map itself. the timing has been calculated on that basis.
5) the time taken between 2 checkpoints has been calculated by considering all the above points.
I like the initiative but this is my personal opinion

1)there still will be cabbies and jaywalkers.

3) & 4) if participants have to follow traffic rules (signals & speed limits) i dont understand how the timing will be done.what if one is lucky to get most of the signals green and others have to stop at a red light.Secondly what stops some from exceeding the speed limit by 10-20 kmph on certain stretches.

Instead just like it was down for the marathon why cant a certain route be cordoned off and no traffic and pedestrians be allowed.

rev
Old 14th March 2009, 16:28   #11
rippergeo

A TSD event is about good navigation and calculation of one's average speed. I think there will be bigger penalty points for reaching ahead of time than later.
I had done a few when I was in college, and it's not easy, but it is good ,safe fun, if done properly and is an important basic step before moving on to rallying proper.

Old 14th March 2009, 18:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

as rippergeo mentioned, it not about how lucky you are & how many signals you face when along the route. its more about your driving & navigational skills. nobody is going to stop you if you overspeed on any particular stretch. but that will do you more harm than good as-
1 min late at any checkpoint= 1 min penalty
1 min early at any checkpoint = 2 mins penalty
so overspeeding should be avoided. it all depends upon how well you follow the given road speeds. previosly, i have participated in this event thrice & its absolutely fun!
Old 14th March 2009, 19:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
as rippergeo mentioned, it not about how lucky you are & how many signals you face when along the route. its more about your driving & navigational skills. nobody is going to stop you if you overspeed on any particular stretch. but that will do you more harm than good as-
1 min late at any checkpoint= 1 min penalty
1 min early at any checkpoint = 2 mins penalty
so overspeeding should be avoided. it all depends upon how well you follow the given road speeds. previosly, i have participated in this event thrice & its absolutely fun!
now its starting to make more sense.

so whats the route ? and what time does it start ?

rev
Old 15th March 2009, 09:40   #14
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
now its starting to make more sense.

so whats the route ? and what time does it start ?

rev
The route in a TSD rally is usually given on the day of the event,dont know about this one. No recce's are done AFAIK. You should try it, I miss doing these TSDs, nothing seems to be happening in cochin theses days, or maybe I'm so far out of the loop. Make sure you have a good navigator and a cool head,most essential, more than driving fast.

The trick is to keep an average speed as close to that what is prescribed by the organisers. planning for delays and compensating before or after the delay by speeding may work, but it is dangerous and also if you come up on the marshal's check point unexpectedly, be prepared for a massive time penalty.

Tulip charts make the whole thing even more interesting. will they be available in this event?
Looking forward to Bhpian reports on this one.

Old 15th March 2009, 12:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

i cannot reveal the details of the route now. i can just say its a 55 km route in mumbai in the stretch of navy nagar to bandra.
rippergeo knows quite a lot about such events & what he has mentioned is spot on.
before your car's flag off, you will be given a 'Road Book' which willl have the route directions, odo readings, hints/landmarks & average speed details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks