Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 10:02   #1
BHPian

The 4th-Gen BMW X5

BMW officially teased the spy pics of their fourth generation X5.

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-p90304909_highres_testingofthenewb.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-p90304910_highres_testingofthenewb.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-p90304911_highres_testingofthenewb.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-p90304913_highres_testingofthenewb.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-p90304914_highres_testingofthenewb.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-p90304915_highres_testingofthenewb.jpg
Link

Dear Mods, I couldn't find any existing thread on the new X5, which I feel highly unlikely. So please merge this post if one exists. Thanks.

Last edited by Flyer : 25th May 2018 at 10:08.
Flyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 22:17   #2
BHPian

re: Spy Pics: 4th Generation BMW X5

I hope BMW realizes that an SUV shouldnt be sporty. The current one is a confused car which doesnt know what if it. It tries to balance comfort and sportiness and fails doing both.It neither is comfortable nor can hit the corners. The suspension is on the stiffer side so it doesnt feel like its gliding like a mercedes GLS or an Audi Q7 does and the transmission too can get aggressive holding gears for too long for a comfortable ride.
V12Doc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 16:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
I hope BMW realizes that an SUV shouldnt be sporty. The current one is a confused car which doesnt know what if it. It tries to balance comfort and sportiness and fails doing both.It neither is comfortable nor can hit the corners. The suspension is on the stiffer side so it doesnt feel like its gliding like a mercedes GLS or an Audi Q7 does and the transmission too can get aggressive holding gears for too long for a comfortable ride.
But that's their USP! They take credit for putting the word 'Sport' before UV. Their SUV's do offer a certain level of driver involvement that other's fall short of.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 23:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
But that's their USP! They take credit for putting the word 'Sport' before UV. Their SUV's do offer a certain level of driver involvement that other's fall short of.
I understand your point of drive involvement but that is on the cost of practicality and comfort the main USP of SUV. The gas mileage on it is worse than a GLS which is a heavier car than it. Audi Q7 has a better drive than X5 with comfort still in place. It can only get a good drive because they made a big hatchback rather than a proper SUV. It still sits low like a crossover. It is not an off roader and with the ground clearance it has I won't even take it there. I have driven it extensively and this is one car I could never like. BMW Interiors are still reminiscent of the old generations. I have seen BMW since the early 2000's and everytime I see a new launch from BMW all the difference I can see is a screen stacked on top. The graphics on the secondary display screen is still pixelated. The front MID is pixelated and makes a small lower part of the speedometer and steering controls cannot do anything other than control music. To see car statistics you have to use the main idrive screen even for regular things like the gas mileage. BMW has a lot of catching up to do. Mercedes has a strong line up of SUV even if they are a gen old and sedans are pretty good, Audi is making a strong comeback with its sedans probably strong enough to claim the first spot in india again. BMW on the other hand has the least impressive lineup from SUV to sedans with the new 5 series being not impressive and looking too much like the last generation and interiors are nothing compared to an E Or the new A6. 7 series doesnt hold a candle to the S class or the A8 and its for every model they have. No wonder their sales have gone down worldwide.
V12Doc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 11:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I understand your point of drive involvement but that is on the cost of practicality and comfort the main USP of SUV. The gas mileage on it is worse than a GLS which is a heavier car than it. Audi Q7 has a better drive than X5 with comfort still in place. It can only get a good drive because they made a big hatchback rather than a proper SUV. It still sits low like a crossover. It is not an off roader and with the ground clearance it has I won't even take it there. I have driven it extensively and this is one car I could never like. BMW Interiors are still reminiscent of the old generations. I have seen BMW since the early 2000's and everytime I see a new launch from BMW all the difference I can see is a screen stacked on top. The graphics on the secondary display screen is still pixelated. The front MID is pixelated and makes a small lower part of the speedometer and steering controls cannot do anything other than control music. To see car statistics you have to use the main idrive screen even for regular things like the gas mileage. BMW has a lot of catching up to do. Mercedes has a strong line up of SUV even if they are a gen old and sedans are pretty good, Audi is making a strong comeback with its sedans probably strong enough to claim the first spot in india again. BMW on the other hand has the least impressive lineup from SUV to sedans with the new 5 series being not impressive and looking too much like the last generation and interiors are nothing compared to an E Or the new A6. 7 series doesnt hold a candle to the S class or the A8 and its for every model they have. No wonder their sales have gone down worldwide.
The gas mileage is worse in an X5 than a GLS? On which engines in both, I'm very curious. Audi Q7 has a better drive? I've driven the Q7 and the X5, and while the Q7 is more comfortable and smooth, there is no way the drive is better.

Also if you have driven extensively, you would know that the button on top of the indicator stalk, toggles the 'pixelated' screen below the speedometer to show gas mileage, and average speed, range and all the other trip details you can see on the idrive too.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
The gas mileage is worse in an X5 than a GLS? On which engines in both, I'm very curious. Audi Q7 has a better drive? I've driven the Q7 and the X5, and while the Q7 is more comfortable and smooth, there is no way the drive is better.

Also if you have driven extensively, you would know that the button on top of the indicator stalk, toggles the 'pixelated' screen below the speedometer to show gas mileage, and average speed, range and all the other trip details you can see on the idrive too.
I am comparing a gls450 to x5 35i . Gls is around 22-24mpg in conservative driving and x5 barely goes till 18mpg. The better integration of gearbox and engine in the gls might be a reason as there is barely a time in conservative driving does the RPM goes beyond 2300 which is more like a diesel whereas x5 is usually going till 3000 no matter how easy I am on the accelerator. About the indicator slot I haven't checked it as it would not be a place i would be looking to change mid display when i have ample steering control buttons to do all that and since a few generations most of the cars have the mid toggled by steering wheel buttons. With the drive I mean a balance of all which in my opinion is superior to all SUVs in the segment ( Q7 is the only one I dont own) . Audi have nailed the sportiness and comfort in most of their cars. Gls does what it is advertised for that is supreme comfort . It is like an luxury yacht gliding over road and u know behind the steering wheel it is not something that you would test to the limits. X5 is not a drivers SUV. Drive a porsche cayenne and you will know what I am talking about. It does that still being comfortable!
V12Doc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 12:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
About the indicator slot I haven't checked it as it would not be a place i would be looking to change mid display when i have ample steering control buttons to do all that and since a few generations most of the cars have the mid toggled by steering wheel buttons. With the drive I mean a balance of all which in my opinion is superior to all SUVs in the segment ( Q7 is the only one I dont own) . It does that still being comfortable!
So, you are Ok with a Gear lever being placed like an Indicator stalk but are not Ok with a push button on the stalk to bring up some additional infomation?

Quote:
Audi have nailed the sportiness and comfort in most of their cars.
I have not driven the Audi Petrol as they don't sell this here in India but I bought a V8 older generation diesel here - Brand New and sold in less than 10 Days- despite having 2 extra cylinders, it won't come any closer to the 6 Cylinder Diesel BMW in real world if you ignore the paper differences.

Quote:
Drive a porsche cayenne and you will know what I am talking about.
Really? I find the overall chassis rigidity so bad, I am not good in explaining but whenever I got a chance to drive, I changed with Macan in less than a couple of minutes ( part of extended test drives) I have taken the old cayenne as a reference and not the new one which should come here in second part and maybe different.

Quote:
7 series doesnt hold a candle to the S class or the A8 and its for every model they have
,I may run off the permitted smileys, again what make you write this? Some reviews from the magazines or hearsay? We have multiple new 7 and only One S Class, both have their own strengths but the way MB has equipped the S here, it's more of a compromise. No leather interiors or choice of interior restricted to only Beige, no options of black headliners either. 99 % of the time, I will pick a 7 over the S. But again, it's more of a personalised opinion and not that the new 7 is nothing against S or vice-versa.

And, please don't tell me that you like that Cabin with a billion switches on the GLE over the neat & functional layout on the X5.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th May 2018 at 12:36.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 13:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
So, you are Ok with a Gear lever being placed like an Indicator stalk but are not Ok with a push button on the stalk to bring up some additional infomation?

I have not driven the Audi Petrol as they don't sell this here in India but I bought a V8 older generation diesel here - Brand New and sold in less than 10 Days- despite having 2 extra cylinders, it won't come any closer to the 6 Cylinder Diesel BMW in real world if you ignore the paper differences.

Really? I find the overall chassis rigidity so bad, I am not good in explaining but whenever I got a chance to drive, I changed with Macan in less than a couple of minutes ( part of extended test drives) I have taken the old cayenne as a reference and not the new one which should come here in second part and maybe different.

,I may run off the permitted smileys, again what make you write this? Some reviews from the magazines or hearsay? We have multiple new 7 and only One S Class, both have their own strengths but the way MB has equipped the S here, it's more of a compromise. No leather interiors or choice of interior restricted to only Beige, no options of black headliners either. 99 % of the time, I will pick a 7 over the S. But again, it's more of a personalised opinion and not that the new 7 is nothing against S or vice-versa.

And, please don't tell me that you like that Cabin with a billion switches on the GLE over the neat & functional layout on the X5.
The last gen q7 even though was a looker was something I never liked due to the interiors. They reminded me of A4. They were way too dated. About the s class and 7 series debate I prefer the s class because
1. The design ( personal choice)
2. The interiors. They are very classy. I like beige because of the brightness it brings to the cabin
3. Comfort on s class is something to be experienced. The suspension is excellent!

I have driven alpina b7 ( previous gen) for long drives and yes 7 series is a drivers luxury barge but If you want something for ur driver self I would always prefer a 5 series. The S class is more for sedate driving. In the luxury segment until I experience the new A8 S class is the leader with 7 at number 2. Current gen A8 is way too old to be considered.

Buttons on indicator stalk is different than a gear lever. Buttons are to be more frequently used.

I never said anything positive about the gls interiors. The ambient lightning is low, 3 color choices, no led screen speedometer. There are a lot more to not like. The buttons I find them useful as shortcuts something that can be operated without hindering drivers attention.. Like I said it is a generation backward and Q7 in that case beats them all. The interiors are slick, modern and pleasing to the eye.

I personally dont like the cayenne because it's way too overpriced, not practical and not updated with time but the drive is something to be cherished. Like I said there is no such thing as driver's SUV. You want to hit the corners , get a sedan or a hatchback. With the high center of gravity you will never get the drivers experience. At the max what they should be is a balance with the scale still tilting towards comfort. The only car from bmw lineup I personally like is the previous gen 5 series which was the class topper. The current one not so much!
Old 27th May 2018, 13:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
About the s class and 7 series debate I prefer the s class because

3. Comfort on s class is something to be experienced. The suspension is excellent!

I have driven alpina b7 ( previous gen) for long drives

The interiors. They are very classy. I like beige because of the brightness it brings to the cabin
I hope your views are based on the old 7, New 7 is totally different and this comes from personal experience over an extended period. Beige is a good colour but once you get into this segment and think from that perspective, this is the least desirable colour. No wonder, major of the discounts on BMW cars you will get will always be on the one with Beige interiors. You must see M Sports interiors on the 7 especially with Cognac or Mocha and then you will realise what I am trying to say.

Quote:
and yes 7 series is a drivers luxury barge but If you want something for ur driver self I would always prefer a 5 series
Again, having both accessible to me, I feel the new 7 excels 5, even in driving. I cannot say the same for the old 7 though. As I am now in the late Forties so more than anything else, my own preference may have changed and younger guys may still pick a 5 over 7. Maybe If you ask anyone, money being not an issue, which will the pick and it will be 7 series for the 99,99 % for the most in my opinion

Quote:
S class is the leader with 7 at number 2. Current gen A8 is way too old to be considered.
Numbers always does not tell the complete story, so the chances are Chandigarh/ Ludhiana may have more 7 then say Delhi or elsewhere as most owners in this class prefer to sit in the rear. But I am yet to meet anyone who drives his car mostly and occasionally sits in the rear and has still bought the S. There will be some enthusiasts who had picked the S over the old 7 as the new 7 came later.

Quote:
Buttons on indicator stalk is different than a gear lever. Buttons are to be more frequently used.
Ok, and what will be that function as an example?

Quote:
Like I said there is no such thing as driver's SUV.
Keeping in view the Indian road conditions, there's a famous saying by Maruti marketing head - ‘Unchi’ is the new ‘lambi’, or ‘tall is the new long’. So in that context, X5 does help. It's a practical car with a high GC and better suited to conditions here than say a 5 or 7.

Quote:
The only car from bmw lineup I personally like is the previous gen 5 series which was the class topper. The current one not so much!
This used to be said about the past car as well where people will prefer the Bangle era E60 and personally, I also like that over both current and the one before.

Coming to the topic, I hope X7 and X5 address the suspension and the body roll issues. Going by my experience with the new 7, I have high hopes that both X5 and X7 will be able to address these issues and with an X7 we may have an alternative to Toyota LC / LX and RR- Vogue all of which are insanely priced here.

Quote:
X7 is the need of the hour for BMW and will be more in the price competition of the gls than the range rover vogue as I think that's where they should want to price it.
Correct, I completely missed the GLS, the current one is so outdated to be even remembered, as a prospective buyer in this segment I was after RR and Lexus/ LC & have not even seen GLS. Things may change when MB launch the newer one.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th May 2018 at 14:22.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 14:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

I hope your views are based on the old 7, New 7 is totally different and this comes from personal experience over an extended period.

Again, having both assessable to me, I feel the new 7 excels 5 even in driving, I would not feel the same for the old 7. I am now in the late Forties so more than anything else, my own preference may have changed.

Numbers always does not tell you the complete story, so the chances are Chandigarh/ Ludhiana may have more 7 then say Delhi or elsewhere as most owners in this class prefer to sit in the rear. But I am yet to meet anyone who drives his car mostly and occasionally sits in the rear and has still bought the S. There will be some enthusiasts who had picked the S over 7 as the new 7 came later.

Ok, and what will be that function as an example?

Keeping in view the Indian road conditions, there's a famous saying by Maruti marketing head - ‘Unchi’ is the new ‘lambi’, or ‘tall is the new long’. So in that context, X5 does help. It's a practical car with a high GC and better suited to conditions here than say a 5 or 7.

This used to be said about the past car as well where people will prefer the Bangle era E60 and personally, I also like that over both current and the one before.

Coming to the topic, I hope X7 and X5 address the suspension and the body roll issues. Going by my experience with the new 7, I have high hopes that both X5 and X7 will be able to address these issues and with an X7 we may have an alternative to Toyota LC / LX and RR- Vogue all of which are insanely priced here.
X7 is the need of the hour for BMW and will be more in the price competition of the gls than the range rover vogue as I think that's where they should want to price it. If someone is in a market for a full size 7 seater luxury SUV GLS is the only choice. Q7 js more of a 6 seater ( spare tyre takes one seat) and the last row is cramped. LC is grossly overpriced for the car it is and same for the LX . They are old generation CVT transmission old school engine cars with literally nothing modern about them. You feel that they are generations behind the current competition. Range Rover Vogue is overpriced by like 20% which is not much as that car is in a league of it's own when it comes to the overall experience and range rover has always tried to command a premium over the germans but their newer offerings are falling in line.
Old 6th June 2018, 13:15   #11
BHPian

Re: Spy Pics: 4th Generation BMW X5

The 4th Generation BMW X5 has officially been revealed.
The 4th-Gen BMW X5-p90303993_highres.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-bmwx5g05_6.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-bmwx5g05_1.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-bmwx5g05_3.jpg

The 4th-Gen BMW X5-bmwx5g05_5.jpg

Source:bimmerpost
dean5545 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 13:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

Looks very nice, more like 7 from inside. Height control / Air Suspension will be a very useful addition. Let's see how soon they get it here
Old 6th June 2018, 14:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the FB unveiling video:

Is it me or is the rear lights similar to the GLC!

Last edited by Sahil : 6th June 2018 at 14:26.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 14:47   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

A detailed walkaround by Autugefuhl

Those grills shouldn't be called kidney grills anymore! Just too big for my taste.

Rear styling is a bit bland but overall stance looks nice and imposing.

Hope those massive 22" wheels are optional and the standard car comes with something more sensible.

Interiors look nice but competition may still have the edge.

Even the parcel shelf moves electronically! And what's with that Swarosky gear lever? Seriously BMW, this is getting silly!
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 16:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Hope those massive 22" wheels are optional and the standard car comes with something more sensible.

Even the parcel shelf moves electronically! And what's with that Swarosky gear lever? Seriously BMW, this is getting silly!
Standard car does have 18inch rim onwards. Check the link posted by Dean earlier, it has a lot of the technical details variant wise: http://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1503179

I honestly think the Swarovski is a good option to have given the current upmarket trend in the SUV space. I personally wouldn't opt for this but I am sure there would be buyers who want something more exclusive. Look at the trend in the SUV launches this past year, things are going super premium with the likes of the Cullinan, Urus, Bentayga, etc.
These options are more marketing gimmicks than actual features buyers opt for, it helps generate added PR. Even the Bentayga comes with an optional Breitling console watch that I am sure no one opts for since it is a tourbillion version that cost as much as the car! : https://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/18/bent...car-clock.html
I was just in London last week and found that mayfair is filled with Bentaygas. All these buyers were probably previous X5 owners at some point. Not that one small piece of swaroski will retain a buyer from upgrading to a Bentley from a BMW but it does help in adding the feel good factor to a person upgrading from the X1 to the X5 when he is parking next to a Bentayga.

Last edited by Sahil : 6th June 2018 at 16:28.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks