Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 00:53   #1

Where is Kia?

I thought Kia sells their cars everywhere around the world. And was very surprised when first heard they are not presented in India!!

Why don't they sell cars there? Do you know of any reasons?
It was a while a go when I heard Kia will arrive to Indian market soon, but nothing has happened so far...

Do you have any explanations?
Old 11th December 2007, 01:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Simply because Kia is owned by Hyundai and Kia cars are sold as Hyundia or the other way round.
Old 11th December 2007, 01:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Considering how well Hyundai has been dping in India over the years, I don't see why they would introduce Kia here. To be very frank the only reason we would get to see Kia here would be if Hyundai decides to tap new segment which they themselves can't do.
Old 11th December 2007, 02:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kia was all set to enter the Indian arena sometime in the late 90s. With Hyundai taking the lead in almost every segment of cars, Kia took the step backwards and they finally got their rhythm right in the US.

But one thing I can say, Kia cars seem to lack in one area- and thats RESALE VALUE. I'm saying this, because I bought a 2004 Kia Optima for $13-14K,and in 6 months its value has dropped more than 50%. Apparently this is the case with almost all Kia cars. Now I'm stuck in the phase of trading the Kia in for something else.
Old 11th December 2007, 04:09   #5
BANNED

Do we really need another Korean manufacturer here?
Ok! Maybe it'll make good as some competition.
Old 11th December 2007, 07:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Who said we don't have Kia in India! They exist camouflaged inside some Mahindra jeeps.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Simply because Kia is owned by Hyundai and Kia cars are sold as Hyundia or the other way round.
CHeck your facts before posting. They dont sell the same cars. The two manufacturers use the same platforms but do not sell each other's cars.

Kia makes better-looking cars than Hyundai does. As if that werent enough they have also appointed Peter Schreyer, the designer most famous for creating the Audi TT as their Chief of Design. He wont be designing cars for Hyundai, as both manufacturers have their own design teams.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th December 2007 at 11:38.
Old 11th December 2007, 12:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Do we really need another Korean manufacturer here?
agree.We dont.I think India is really missing some cars like Citroen,peugeot and more european than the ones like Kia.

Quote:
You mean some of the Hyundai cars here are Kia only because it owns Kia?
Old 11th December 2007, 17:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well a car with the same underpinnings but different desgin doesnot make it different. I mean to say the Kia Pacanto and the Hyundai Santro are similar cars. Also the Santro is sold as a Kia in the UK.
Old 11th December 2007, 18:09   #10
BHPian

I think we should consider ourselves blessed that Kia hasn't entered our market..

Damn!! those thing are fugly!!cheers: On the brightside though it would make hyundai cars look like a supermodels!! (No offense meant to any Hyundai lovers..)
Old 11th December 2007, 20:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
I think we should consider ourselves blessed that Kia hasn't entered our market..

Damn!! those thing are fugly!!cheers: On the brightside though it would make hyundai cars look like a supermodels!! (No offense meant to any Hyundai lovers..)
As a Kia owner, I don't quite think what you said is true. Kia makes cars of respectable quality. I have a 2004 Optima,and I can vouch for its solid feel & quality. Looks like a perfect exec's car. On lines with most of the other cars in the same segment. The newer designs don't look bad either,the best of the lot probably being the Sorento & the Spectra.
Old 11th December 2007, 21:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

kia have got some of the terrific designs in th eworld.dont blame them just because its korean.put forward an unbiased outlook.hyundai is planning to introduce kia models in india.they are looking for a new plant within the hyundai premisis in TN.i am sure in 2 years kia will make thier models in india.

ram
Old 11th December 2007, 22:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

I feel that Kia cars have some value for money.Its not priced too high,and had a fair amount of goodies on the mid-level models.The base models as always are quite useless
Old 11th December 2007, 22:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Their SUV looked good,forgot its name.
Old 11th December 2007, 23:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Well a car with the same underpinnings but different desgin doesnot make it different. I mean to say the Kia Pacanto and the Hyundai Santro are similar cars. Also the Santro is sold as a Kia in the UK.
It is Kia Picanto .
Yeah they have nice SUV's Kia Sorento,Kia Sportage.Cars like Citroen,Peugeot has to come in the India market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks