Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2005, 08:03   #1
BANNED

tata indica 85000 report

yeah of purchase = 2000
colour = silver

we sold it 6-8 months back..but still would like to tell you guys about the car..

reason for buying = new design..overhyped..and too much publicity...

sold the car when it was driven around 90,000 kms...

lets start of with

performance

basically this car my dad bought for himself...had a modified zen..which became my brothers personal car after we bought this indica...car was just driven for four years..and in 2004 i got it after my boards...75kms driven..
dad wanted to sell it after buyin a scorpio but then thought of keeping it so that i can screw around as much as i want to learn properly and after a month or so..buy me a sail...he would have bought me a sail but i was a fool and said that i want this indica in excitement...

the story before i started driving it...

the car...the a/c had stopped working...
the car used to shut on the read once a month...and then everytime we would have to push and start..sent the car to tata...they said alternator problem..we bought a new 1 ..with warranty...on a wet road the belt used to make a louuudd screeching sound...for a long time
power window stopped working...so whenever my brother used to go for work...he used to take the indica...and he smokes alot so without rolling the windows down...and without a/c..he used to smoke and sweat..lol...because if he would mess with the window..it would not be possible for him to put the window back to its place..overheating almost 2wice a month
got it repaired twice..but still got screwed...so finally we bought that handle ..manual thing...
i always thought it will be fun driving this car...will take it to college everyday..diesel so...

now after i got the car

rainy season..whenever im going to meet someone..like im calling come down im waiting..reply...***** your waiting...im not getting the screaching sound..hehehe
my topspeed in that car was 90..tried alot but never went above 80..dont know how suddenly it managed to go 90..and trust me i was too excited...

drive and comfort

the drive was very very sad...trust me it was actually boring..i was never able to screw around with anybody on a plain road..yeah but daytime racing were cool..when i had to cut through traffic and all...i was pretty good at all that...
car was pretty comfortable..5 people could sit easily in the car..and i had sad dirty seats which nowdays most of the rickshawz have....

quality
the quality was also very sad...i had two accidents because of my headlights not working..trust me i went to tata and even local mechanics..they would so something to my headlight..and when i leave the workshop...within 5 minutes..the headlights would stop working..i showed it to the mechanic..he was like "aisa kaisa ho sakta hai...wire bhi properly set kiya hai..." he himself was confused seeing that the wiring is perfect...still the headlights not working..he changed both the headlights..worked for a day..again the same problem..

personal experience

in a week... 1-2 days my car would shut because of low battery after getting a brand new battery which is used for cars like scorpio...still we bought that one thinking that it will never give problem from now on...
but no..it shut every weak..and i hadto beg people to push the car and stuff...
1 day i went to fill fuel in my car...leaving the fuel pump..i realise that car has overheated....this guy puts coolant...and after 5 mins agian the car has overheated...got down to check..not even a drop of coolant was left...the whole thing had leaked...hadto fill water every 5 minutes and dropped the car...
1 day was driving around ...low speed...suddenly something feel from the ar..stopped and saw that something that holds the whole engine..became lose from 1 side and had fallen...required welding and all that job..got that done...
overheating problem was solved...that was cool...now next thing..whenever i used to drive..i used to get some dirty smell as if something is burning in the car...everyday ...but could do nothing about that..
now 1 day i was coming from lokhandwala...night 3 am...was alone in the car..at a speed of 60..linking road..suddenly dont know what the hell happened...the whole car shut...i mean power steering shut..lights shut...engine shut...stopped the car on the side....keys were on..putting on battery..nothing was happening..tryin to straart...it was feeling like a toy...5 minutes i was sitting..keys were on battery..then suddenly that headlight started ..and then strated the car ...next day bandstand.same problem..but this time it was completely dead..for 2 hours i waited nothing happened..it felt like a toy...got a mechanic..said nothing can be done about that..for that day..he was like direct connection he will give to the battery so that i can drive..now i reach my building..trying to shut the car..it wasnt shutting..even after removing the battery...because of direct connection..so hadto put it on 1st and leave clutch...
everytime i would go above 3 rpm..complete black dirty dusty smoke would come out..was fun sometimes...as 1 day..on some lane..on second gear...i revved hard...like from 3 till the redline...and trust me when i looked back from my rear view mirror..i could not see a thing..could only see BLLLACCKK SMOKE..
now i was too too irritated with the car..so one day sent it to tata...for complete servicng..except for the a/c becuase for a/c the whole system had to be changed..so sent the car for complete servicing...that day all my cars were parked in the building so parked this car outside...and in the night...1 coconut fell on the windshield and broke it...still i drove like that for a week..and ws getting some dirty burning smell after that..
we didn't ask the tata people to check the alternator as it was brand new and under warranty...
still the car used to shut and i would have to ask people to push the car everytime....and all this continues till 1 day when i took the car to this battery place where i got the battery from with warranty..asked that dude to check whats wrong..he said battery is fine..alternator has some mistake..now the car was driven 87000 kms...he asekd me to leave my car with him the next day so that he can repair it and stuff..after that went to a mechanic for all the repiars and a/c job and all..because now we understood why the car used to shut...decided with the mechanic everything..and was supposed to leave my car with him the next day...now before leaving i was supposed to repair the alternator...just a wire inside the alternator..over there this guy caem..gave me an offer...wanted to buy my car..and i was getting a good price...i thought it as it is gives me problems..smoke coming out..overheating...stopping...no a/c..better to sell it off...finalized with him...reached home..screwed with the car all day and trust me guys ..not even once the car shut ...i skid the car..screeched it...it never shut..before it used to shut after screeching and stuff..this time did not shut..was confused...why the car was not shutting...car was supposed to go the next day...i didn't know what to do...but after thinking about all the experiences we have ahd with it..i thought there would be no use keeping it..even my brother had spend few dayz on the western express highway when the car was just giving out smoke..

fuel economy

fe was around 8-9 when i used to drive it...and used to give around 10-11 when others used to drive it...
was very hapy with just the fe of this car..

interiors

interiors are of a very cheap quality guys...maybe its indian that is why...i own a scorpio also and i find the quality of interiors very sad as the stuff keeps on breaking..the door handle..or the seat adjuster clip keeps coming off...

the car has been sold..and it was sold to a mechanic..who changed the kms reading and made it 45-50000kms...and put v2 lights and that v2 written in letters on the side...so just informing all you bhpians..do not buy a 2nd hand indica..it might not be v2..hehehe
sometimes i miss it because of its fe...how much i used to drive around...
anyways sorry for this boring review and not writing it properly...but man i was just thinking how much i hated that indica and how many days i spent on the road looking for a mechanic to repair my car..so felt like writing it...
Old 4th September 2005, 11:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

ROFLMAO. We bought an indica too in 2000(pre pre v2) Similar stories, but nothing as dramatic as your baby. Sold it on 80K kms bought another 2 indicas, sold one after 70K kms and 3 accidents(2 major) and then bought an indigo. The other indica which i bought has crossed 50K, but is still behaving pretty decently.
Old 7th September 2005, 00:45   #3
BHPian

this is not fair! its like you wrote review on my indica!!
anyways we have found a nice local mechanic and he has done a good job n everything is fine now,have completed 1,20,000 kms,mom and sis fed up but i know dad will give it to me when i turn 18 so still happy.
Old 7th September 2005, 12:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Curiously logged in to read the review of TATA INDICA & it was just opposite to what I expected, a positive review.

I went to Kodai few month back & hired a TATA INDICA cab for my 3 days stay there. That vehicle has done more than 2 Lakhs kilometeres & never gave any problem in climbing hills. The driver told me that he was very much impressed with the car.

Also Indica users in my office are happy with what it is delivering.
Old 7th September 2005, 14:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

The chances are that the indica the cabbie was talking about is a post june 2002 indica. Before that the indica was worth buying only if you wanted a diesel but could no afford more than 4 lakhs.I can personally vouch for the horrendous quality of each and every part including parts not manufactured by TATA like the AC, Alternator, relays fuses etc.,
Old 7th September 2005, 15:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
The chances are that the indica the cabbie was talking about is a post june 2002 indica.
Yes, your'e right. That guy was telling me it was 2 yrs+, which meant it should be a 2003 model.
Old 9th September 2005, 15:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Haha Dude... Your experience with the Indica is truly funny...Atleast the way you put it up...

Tsk, looks like you are a Tata loyalist... If I were Ratan, I'd give you one Indica at half price .... Rather, I'd give one freee.....

I hope my steed lasts long.... Really long...

Last edited by k_ajay : 9th September 2005 at 15:16.
Old 9th September 2005, 15:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

You can call me pocket loyalist. Most of the purchases have been made due to no other diesel car available in that range. My next car also may be an indigo unless somebody comes up with a good diesel below 6L with ample space for me to sit in rear(I am 6'2") as well as front
Old 9th September 2005, 16:13   #9
BHPian

Yes finding cars for relatively tall people is a big problem.

Inspite of problems in their cars, we got to give credit to tata for improving their products. I dont see any improvements in HM cars till date.

Last edited by Conan : 9th September 2005 at 16:16.
Old 9th September 2005, 16:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
You can call me pocket loyalist. Most of the purchases have been made due to no other diesel car available in that range. My next car also may be an indigo unless somebody comes up with a good diesel below 6L with ample space for me to sit in rear(I am 6'2") as well as front
We [my folks and myself] also checked out the Indigo.... And only becuz of 2 major reasons did we NOT want to buy it...

1. It didn't come within our budget....
2. We didn't have a requirement for such a HUGE car for a small family of 3.

Otherwise, the Indigo is sooooo spacious, with the rear seats double folded, 2 large sized people can sleep at the back... was that wide and comfy... [No, lol, i didn't try that option]

We are very very happy with the Indica... I'll post pics soon... and the Indica is no less on space... Puts most other hatchbacks/small cars to shame....
Old 9th September 2005, 16:53   #11
BANNED

dude the indica v2 is nice...agreed....but just go drive an indica ...the first model....even we bought that car after sitting in a tourist indica...had gone to mussoorie...a serd driver....who told is that the car is really awesome....made a big mistake man
Old 9th September 2005, 17:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudeonfire
dude the indica v2 is nice...agreed....but just go drive an indica ...the first model....even we bought that car after sitting in a tourist indica...had gone to mussoorie...a serd driver....who told is that the car is really awesome....made a big mistake man
Right. But you'd also have to understand and accept that TATA has, from time to time, made revisions and modifications to the existing vehicle and they don't make too much noise about it every time.

You got the first released Indica version and everyone knows it had a lotta problems. But they have evolved now and the V2z that are in production right now are a lot lot refined and better than their 1st cut...

I'm not saying this because I got a new one this week.. This is the fact.. Infact, I wished Tata would release a DICORed Indica soon so I could buy that, but I had confirmed reports that they wouldn't be doing so untill early 2006...

Btw Dude, what car are you driving around now?? You report was too good... [read entertaining]
Cheers
Old 10th September 2005, 02:00   #13
BANNED

presently im driving a sail....and i dont think i need to even compare the two...both are completely diff
Old 10th September 2005, 12:38   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudeonfire
presently im driving a sail....and i dont think i need to even compare the two...both are completely diff
If you don't have a valid driving license, it doesn't matter which car you drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks