Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2007, 21:50   #1
BHPian

Pre Owned Mercedes Benz 220 cdi is it a good buy

Hi Guys

My Dad is looking at buying a pre owned mercedes benz 220 cdi, I think it might be a good buy if we can get a car with less than 20k on the odo and less than 2 years old. His budget is between 17 ~ 20 Lac for the right car. Do you guys think it to be the right decision. We have already had a 95 model 250D and 200D 87 model. Currently he has a Octi 2004 TDI and has always been a fan of the three pointed star.

Any suggetions on the alternatives to the above is welcomed. Also he is in Kolkata & I am in Delhi, which would be the right place to pick up a Merc.

Pointers to the places to source such a car is needed & also is his budget realistic or is a rethink needed.

Ritayan
Old 17th February 2007, 01:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

ITS 200 CDI.....20k on the odo is very hard to find in a cdi..unless its mine...'02 done 30k..but not for sale....
the cdi's are driven alot...we went out looking for 1 for a friend...and found most of them had done around 40/50 k on the odo...
Old 17th February 2007, 14:15   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Rityan,

1. You will have two options : The C200 CDI and the C220 CDI. EIther option has the same engine, but the 220 has more power with a remap.

2. Later models also had some upgrades like clear lamps, better interiors, all-leather as standard, an upgraded interior etc.

3. You will be hardpressed to find any models with low mileage. Also, Mercedes controls the price of its pre-owned models in many ways....so the prices may be on the higher side too.

4. Lastly, if your budget is 20 lakhs, why not stretch 5 lakhs more and get a new one. The finance interest will be lower and you will be able to claim depreciation. Discounts are plenty on the C-Class within a range of 1 - 2 lakh rupees.

I would suggest being very cautious with a used C-Class as you dont want to end up with problems, especially outside of warranty. Check the warranty repairs and problem areas of used C's in depth before making your decision.

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2007 at 14:16.
Old 17th February 2007, 14:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

As pointed out by GTO a merc without warranty isnt exactly the best thing to buy.And yes it's very very difficult to find a car with less than 20k on the Odo.

As far as the alternate's are concerned is a diesel heart necessary since then the only possible choices are the Skoda Superb diesel[I think it's priced around 22lakhs] and Maybe the Hyundai Sonata diesel and the Skoda Laura diesel[If the skoda superb does not fit your budget].

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 17th February 2007 at 14:40.
Old 17th February 2007, 15:38   #5
BHPian

rahul_intlad, GTO, danlalan, thanks for your replies. Yes it is indeed a problem to find a low milage car. I have had a couple of options but both are 30k plus on the ODO. So yes quality issues do come to mind. Also had a long one to one with Dad but he is inclined on the Merc and a pre - owned one at that as it will be a individual buy and not a company buy so no benifits from tax savings. I will still be going to T&T Motors in Delhi to see what would be the actual onroad price and other options.
Old 14th September 2007, 14:22   #6
BANNED

What is the reputation of the C200, C220cdi?

In another post I had been warned to stay away from the 180 C classes. Whats the feedback on the following?
  1. c200 Kompressor
  2. c200 cdi
  3. c220 cdi
I may up my budget and look at a used c class too.

Mod's Note: Please search and use existing threads. Do not open threads on the same subjects again and again.

Threads merged.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:03   #7
BHPian

Re: Pre Owned Mercedes Benz 220 cdi is it a good buy

Being offerred a 2005 Merc C class (220 CDI). The car has done 150k kms with full service history being available with Mercedes. Shod with Pirellis that will last for another 20k kms. Has insurance for another 4 months. The car is non-accidental (some scratchs and dents have been painted) and in good condition. Asking price 8.5L. I personally feel the price is on the higher side. Any thoughts? Also if somebody can shed some light on the life of auto tranny in Mercs then that would be pretty helpful.
Old 25th February 2012, 00:02   #8
BHPian

Cesc if this is your First Luxury car then I advise you to stay away from it as the expenses can reach for the stars. :(
supercars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 13:45   #9
BHPian

@supercars: Are you talking generally or do you have any experience (or know of a first hand experience) with this car? I own an Octy L&K so I have some experience of the Europeans albeit have never owned a German car.

I have dropped the idea of buying this car although I am driving it from the last couple of days. The major reason why I dropped it is because of the low-end performance of the car. I do not know if anything is wrong with this car or this is a trait of auto tranny on the C class but I found the car dragging itself through the first 2 gears. Third gear onwards though the performance is pretty good. I am now looking at a E 270 CDI Elegance with 80k on the odo.
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:41   #10
BHPian

Picked up a 40k old 2007 c class 220 cdi last week from Coimbatore. The deal was pretty interesting though. Will be used by my FIL for his daily office and personal use.No drivers or SIL allowed .

Would be happy to get some much needed information about it's maintenance, dos and donts, what to watch out for on a pre-worshipped one. Also, please suggest good garaghes for it in Coimbatore, Cochin and Chennai. Am a complete noob when it comes to German autos.
Please advise.Thanks in advance Folks.
Old 10th March 2014, 20:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Picked up a 40k old 2007 c class 220 cdi last week from Coimbatore. The deal was pretty interesting though. Will be used by my FIL for his daily office and personal use.No drivers or SIL allowed .

Would be happy to get some much needed information about it's maintenance, dos and donts, what to watch out for on a pre-worshipped one. Also, please suggest good garaghes for it in Coimbatore, Cochin and Chennai. Am a complete noob when it comes to German autos.
You can service it in CAG which is famous. Can also recommend a garage adjoining Apsara Theatre in Gandhipuram whose name i cant recollect. That is also a good garage.
Old 11th March 2014, 08:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post

Checkout Wheel Spin, they do a good job at reasonable rates. I get my Octavia vRS serviced here!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheel...39730856117099

Last edited by AirWind : 11th March 2014 at 09:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks