Team-BHP - Remote Central Locking for Swift
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Remote Central Locking for Swift (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/18405-remote-central-locking-swift.html)

Hi All,
I'll get my Swift Vxi delivered on this SAT. Following the discussion in this group, I have opted to stay away from MGA accessories. But I have a doubt about remote central locking. I have been told that there is one by model name "8K general". This costs around Rs. 5950. Since this is an electronic stuff, isn't it a better idea to get it fixed by the dealer itself (to avoid hassles with warranty etc)?

Please let me know your valuable suggestions on Remote central locking. It'll be of great help as I have just 2 more days to decide :-)

Regards,
San

Get the one that is standard on the ZXi. It's manufactured by NIPPON and is OEM integration. It's for around 6k and comes with engine immobiliser and impact sensors.

its always best to get remote locking fitted from the dealer itself. and the OEM Nippon isnt all that bad.

Its advisable to go in for the MGA central locking system and have it fitted by the dealer. It does come with an Engine immobilizer for additional safety, but then with all high tech stuff there are certain hassles too. Luckily the MGA ( NIppon) one comes with two remote control so in case ou loose one the other one is readily available. You will however have to get its frequency replaced for that additional safety. One of the main advantage of Nippon is that when you unlock your car with the remote you can be sure that it will unlock only your car and not some other car parked nearby, as it happens with other systems.

I personally feel that it is a must and has more advantages than disadvantages. I am having one fitted to my on my Alto LXi, which hopefully would be delivered tomorrow.

So long....

If you dont need the immobiliser and impact sensors you can also go for Autocop.
The lowest model costs Rs.4500. I have it on my alto and no probs since last 1yr.
Ive also have it on my lancer for 6yrs and my old 800 for 6yrs.
You can get it done from the dealers thats the safest bet. If anything goes wrong you can always get it rectified or replaced free of charge.
Although autocop does have a very good after sales support if anything were to go wrong.

well i just got keyless entry done for both my swifts and had it done from bass.com...each for 2500/- with 2 remotes and a 1yr warranty..i feel its better to do it from outside than in the showroom as they can get a bit expensive.

Go for MGA if money is not much of a concern...
Otherwise, aftermarket also offers good options...maybe viper can help you out with the good brands.

Drifter

If you get the Nippon you should be good - considering that its always out of stock.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunroy
It does come with an Engine immobilizer for additional safety, but then with all high tech stuff there are certain hassles too. Luckily the MGA ( NIppon) one comes with two remote control so in case ou loose one the other one is readily available. You will however have to get its frequency replaced for that additional safety.

This is what happened to me yesterday on my Sumo Victa which comes with a MindaHuff Central locking system with Engine immobiliser. As can be expected from Tatas it comes only with one remote control.

I had gone out on an early morning errand to my in-laws place. As I was leaving my father in law requested me to post a letter for him. On reaching the letter box and presuming that the car was on neutral gear I engaged the hand brake and released the clutch. Needless to say the car jerked forward and stalled. Since I was getting late I restarted the engine, open the door, ran across the street, post the letter, dashed back only to find that I had locked myself out. All windows up, Engine running, Molbile phone and wallet locked inside, I had little choice of seeking help. To my horror the car was also parked on relatively busy street and traffic was slowly building up. I could have gone home about 3 kms away and got my duplicate key but was not sure if the system would have immobilised the engine when the other key is used.
Luckily I notice a cycle repair shop nearby, borrowed a Screwdriver and ripped off the rear sliding glass assy. The rest was easy.

On post mortem I found that this could happen again. What happens is that after cranking the Engine the central locking shuts all the doors after about 10 seconds. For security reasons if any of the door is open then this locking does not happen. But if you open the door and close it within these 10 seconds then the sytem does not read this and locks all the doors and God forbid you are in a situation like mine.

Also imagine this, though it has not happened to me, but could be a possibility. When you switch off the engine all doors unlock automatically. Now lets consider this. At some traffic signals when the Green comes after 3 or 4 mintues, one would be sure to switch off the engine. The moment doors unlock somebody could grab something from the rear seats and scoot. With heavy traffic these days many a times there is'nt enough space to open your door and chase the b*****ds.

That is why I always fear that the best of technologies could let you down at the most crucial moment. I would also like to know from others if they have had any such experience, which could helps other in taking more precaution.

So long....

@ varunroy
OMG!! What an adventure!!!
Waise this time lag after cranking the engine and automatic locking of doors is present in many such remote systems... As far as i know, even the Nippon system has it (The lag however is comparatively less, abt 5 secs)... My autocop though immediately locks the doors on cranking... Dunno whether its a boon or a bane...
Plus the redlight thing you mentioned, its better to keep your key position at "ignition" rather "ACC", if such need arises... This ensures the doors lock again after you switch off your engine...

hey Varunroy ... I think there is a lot of learnig for everyone from that adventure!!.... I wud never have thought of it.. coz at times I leave the engine running and shut the door..
Its a different story I do it usually to open my house gate and not in the middle of a busy street with heavy traffic bearing down on me :d

As for the locking system with swift, I went with the Nippon from mandovi.. he gave me a 1000 bucks discount

You are right Varun I noticed it on my omni I remember, my swift VXI has the MGA remote loack (NIPPON..) the one which comes as standard on swift ZXI which isvery good one, we can make it it locks all doors within 20 seconds of switching on the engine or once vehicle reaches 20KM speed thats what i read in mannual as per my knowledge and when i turn off engine in traffic lights it won't open the lock which is good, I guess with this new romote lock they tuned many disadvantages of previous locks... which is good.

Regards,

ravi.

The Remote locking on the ZXi works differently. The Automatic locking is linked to the vehicle speed instead of time. The doors lock automatically if your vehicle speed crosses 20 kmph. They open automatically only when the key is removed from the ignition and not when the engine is switched off.

This way, you can never lock your self out accidentally.

The swift zxi also has one dangerous autolocking feature. It will never autolock if key is in ignition, but once you take out the key, even if you forget to lock, it locks itself. This can create problems in situations where you remove the ignition key, leave it on the seat and go out. The better part is that all these can be appropriately programmed, including the impact sensor sensitivity.

IMO, the swift zxi nippon oem is one of the best. If only I could disable the audible beeps on lock/unlock...

You can disable the beeps on lock/unlock. The process is mentioned very clearly in the Nippon manual.