Team-BHP - Lancer Short-shifter?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Lancer Short-shifter? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/22706-lancer-short-shifter.html)

Hi all

now that i have decided to keep my lancer for a while
any one know if i can get a ssk (short shift kit) for the lancer in delhi

try contacting Arush. Maybe he will know better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe (Post 401919)
Hi all

now that i have decided to keep my lancer for a while
any one know if i can get a ssk (short shift kit) for the lancer in delhi

Hey Iam planning to get a short shifter for my LAncer too. AJO from Chennai, recently shared his priced contact with me, n1 engineering in Bombay.

can i get short shifter for baleno?is there any disadvantages?any place in cochin or b'lore???

@harmon_bro: let us know how the short shifter is working when you've installed it.

A proper short shift job will make you squeal with delight . Any car can get a short shift installed provided the job is domne accurately or else it can get damn irritating. Warning: once a short shift guy, ull never want/like to use tall gear shifts:D

could anyone explain what is a short shift kit.....

hey, sounds like a good project. @harmon, can you share some more details? like the price et al. PM me with details pls!

I built mine myself. Lopped off nearly 4 inches off my Lancer shifter. Cost me 200 bucks, including lathe time & arc welding.

But please note - you gotta do it right, else you'll end up with your gear lever in your hand in mid-corner at 150kmph someday...

Sorry if somebody percieves this as a hijack of thread. I have been contemplating to do this on my Zen. Anybody done that ? I intend to take off about 2"-3" and fit the gear lever top with a golf ball instead of the stock attachment....:p

Err Bullfrog - read my earlier post.

Had also done it to my old M1000/Esteem, though didn't need welding then. Simply lopped off the top bit & had the shaft retapped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf (Post 419970)
I built mine myself. Lopped off nearly 4 inches off my Lancer shifter. Cost me 200 bucks, including lathe time & arc welding.

But please note - you gotta do it right, else you'll end up with your gear lever in your hand in mid-corner at 150kmph someday...

tell me your kidding!!! you gotta show me pics man.

lol: I cant believe you chopped the gear lever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf (Post 419970)

Elfy dear, the problem in your type of humor is that one doesn't know when you're being sarcastic and when you really mean what you say :)

So, I am assuming you don't understand what a short-shifter (hereafter SS) is and explaining the following. Ofcourse, in case you already know, I am sure you will take my case in your typical style .. so just let me know in advance and i'll bend over in anticipation :p

It's pretty obvious that the desired effect of a short shifter is to reduce the distance your hand needs to move to engage the next gear, thus reducing the amount of time spent shifting, reducing wasted time between shifts, and resulting in improved performance. But, a common misconception which even I had till a while back is that a SS is just a chopped off version of the stock shifter.

In fact, chopping your shifter has no effect on the angle that your shifter shaft travels through between gears and therefore does not reduce the shifter's angular throw. A true SS decreases throw by reducing the angle that the shifter shaft travels through during its stroke between gears. Although, in many cases, the shifter shaft is also re-designed to be shorter than stock thus creating a sportier look and feel, as well as aiding in reducing the linear throw length when coupled with the reduced angular throw.

Technically, the geometry of a SS differs from the stock shifter in order to reduce the distance that the upper section where your shift knob threads on needs to move to achieve the same degree of movement in the lower section where the shift rod or shifter cables attach. This ensures that although your hand is moving a shorter distance, the transmission is still fully engaged in every gear. The main pivot point, or fulcrum of the shifter lever is re-positioned on the shaft in such a way that the lower section which connects to the shift rod or shifter cables is longer than stock, resulting in the desired effect.

Hope this clarifies.

haha a short shifter does not mean just a short gear lever alone, manveet's post above explains it well.

Ok googleboy, at least credit the source you whacked your explanation from.
Here it is:
What is a Short Shifter

OK, the soap's been dropped. You know what to do. :D