Team-BHP - Modding a Honda city gxi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Modding a Honda city gxi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/38633-modding-honda-city-gxi.html)

my cousin has just bought a honda city gxi. he wants to mod the car with performance addons and stuff like that and he is not worried about the warranty or the cash. his requirement is simple, he wants performance and speed from it.

so do you guys have any ideas as how to go about modding the car or any expert in and around delhi whom i can contact regarding this.

im not sure why he bought gxi shape and felt it would be nice to do perfomance mod on a engine that was made to ONLY give fuel economy. tell him to sell the car and get a vtec or something

well actually his dad is of the opinion that a vtec is worthless as honda is charging 9 lakhs just for the change in name!!!! :deadhorseso hes stuck with a gxi, cant sell it for another 3 years or so and buying another car is out of question.....

so any help in making a gxi a poor mans vtec????

if he wants performance and speed tell him to sell it and buy a vtec. or maybe even a cedia.

otherwise he could look at mugen parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesal (Post 802693)
im not sure why he bought gxi shape and felt it would be nice to do perfomance mod on a engine that was made to ONLY give fuel economy. tell him to sell the car and get a vtec or something

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 802711)
if he wants performance and speed tell him to sell it and buy a vtec. or maybe even a cedia.

C'mon guys lets be more sensitive to problems like this...Selling a car and buying another one, well that's easier said than done! Some real solutions please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmob (Post 802620)
he wants to mod the car with performance addons and stuff like that and he is not worried about the warranty or the cash.

so do you guys have any ideas as how to go about modding the car or any expert in and around delhi whom i can contact regarding this.

Cool tell him to turbo it,an FFE, and a new RD ECU, or you can opt for a piggyback...
Then of course the customary Alloys and rubber upgrade. You could opt for the VTECs rear disc brakes...

The GXI also has a 1.5L engine like the VTEC, but unlike the VTEC it is 8v...but with a turbo setup and new ECU it should be plenty fast. Oh and it'll be way faster than a VTEC

However the cost will be around 2 Lakhs just for the performance mods

cheers:

oh well i know that but i thought he got a used honda gxi, anyways in this case now cant help ya, honestly the way i see it u will spend a lotta money trying to get a 77bhp car make 100bhp and find out in the end u could have paid 9 laks for a vtec and i think vtecs are above 10 laks but thats another story. i myself have a gxi cvt but my purpose is city driving only. for racing and speed had a ezen shortlived the fun and sold it after 6 months. so i see no sense in spending. its like eating from the other way round and not the easy way

well the Honda engine the i-DSI which is in the GXI [I think this is the engine]

Displacement: 1496 cc
Bore x Stroke: 73.0 x 89.4 mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Horsepower: 66 kW (89 ps) @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 131 N·m (97 lbf·ft) @ 2700 rpm

So as you can see it's capable of 89hp, and is detuned to 77 in India. So ideally with the ECU of the City sold in the rest of Asia, you start at 89hp, not 77...therefore, considering an RD ECU, turbo etc. I don't think that it's far off to achieve 100hp at the wheels. Another thing to consider is a hot cam.

However that being said, it will cost money, but there's no reason why it can't be done. Besides it is said that motors without Variable Valve Timing [VTEC as Honda calls it] respond better to turbos. VTEC helps with fuel efficiency, and spreading the power over a wider rpm band.

Money, TLC and desire can turn this car into a scorcher...

:OT I personally didn't like the City CVT, the auto box seemed a little rougher than that in my Corolla. Don't know why, but shifts didn't seem as smooth. I have a GXI [manual] as well, but never ever drive it. The 2 times which I did, seemed sooo underpowered that I never ever felt like touching it again. Good for mom and city traffic though

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocG (Post 803024)
well the Honda engine the i-DSI which is in the GXI [I think this is the engine]

Displacement: 1496 cc
Bore x Stroke: 73.0 x 89.4 mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Horsepower: 66 kW (89 ps) @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 131 N·m (97 lbf·ft) @ 2700 rpm

So as you can see it's capable of 89hp, and is detuned to 77 in India. So ideally with the ECU of the City sold in the rest of Asia, you start at 89hp, not 77...therefore, considering an RD ECU, turbo etc. I don't think that it's far off to achieve 100hp at the wheels. Another thing to consider is a hot cam.

However that being said, it will cost money, but there's no reason why it can't be done. Besides it is said that motors without Variable Valve Timing [VTEC as Honda calls it] respond better to turbos. VTEC helps with fuel efficiency, and spreading the power over a wider rpm band.

Money, TLC and desire can turn this car into a scorcher...

:OT I personally didn't like the City CVT, the auto box seemed a little rougher than that in my Corolla. Don't know why, but shifts didn't seem as smooth. I have a GXI [manual] as well, but never ever drive it. The 2 times which I did, seemed sooo underpowered that I never ever felt like touching it again. Good for mom and city traffic though

uh im not sure how u start at 89bhp since its detuned. and im not into engine bit. in my case as well i booked the corolla first in h5 model in gold just to find out that in h5 u can only buy pearl, they had the ***** to say please buy h4 and we will give u choice of color u want. hearing that dad was kinda not happy took my full money back and bought a cvt. its only for city driving, and does not have any gears to shift at all so dunno what u are talking about the SHIFT was not smooth. in corolla every gear change is known in cvt there are no gear changes at all since its some drive by wire techology. next upgrade soon will be civic auto box yes its slower to a manual but in bombay autobox is the way to go only.

well i talked to him and my cousin was like he dosent wanna make it a proper race car, its just that he wants that extra punch while driving just the way he would have got if he had a vtec............:Frustrati

so my thinking is that a large modification can be skipped in this case and a ECU reamp, FFE and a CAI should give the enough punch to the car, what say guys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesal (Post 803188)
uh im not sure how u start at 89bhp since its detuned. and im not into engine bit. in my case as well i booked the corolla first in h5 model in gold just to find out that in h5 u can only buy pearl, they had the ***** to say please buy h4 and we will give u choice of color u want. hearing that dad was kinda not happy took my full money back and bought a cvt. its only for city driving, and does not have any gears to shift at all so dunno what u are talking about the SHIFT was not smooth. in corolla every gear change is known in cvt there are no gear changes at all since its some drive by wire techology. next upgrade soon will be civic auto box yes its slower to a manual but in bombay autobox is the way to go only.

Well about the 89bhp was talking about normal state of tune, a new RD custom ECU will definately counter the detuning [assuming it's ECU related] therefore you start at 89bhp...

About the autobox, dunno why but in the CVT i could feel it everytime the gears changed [from 1-2, 2-3]. Not saying that the Corolla has the best autobox, the measly 4 gears are slow on the highway...but the shifts feel more seemless [unless ofcourse you push it]

I drive a friends City CVT once in a while, it's a good car, not abused or anything, but the shifts just don't feel right...
The civic will be a good car, But honestly I'm bored of automatics...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocG (Post 803664)
Well about the 89bhp was talking about normal state of tune, a new RD custom ECU will definately counter the detuning [assuming it's ECU related] therefore you start at 89bhp...

About the autobox, dunno why but in the CVT i could feel it everytime the gears changed [from 1-2, 2-3]. Not saying that the Corolla has the best autobox, the measly 4 gears are slow on the highway...but the shifts feel more seemless [unless ofcourse you push it]

I drive a friends City CVT once in a while, it's a good car, not abused or anything, but the shifts just don't feel right...
The civic will be a good car, But honestly I'm bored of automatics...

oh ok ill leave the engine bit out really. my dream car still is and will be evo 10 autobox for a long time to come. hehehe. i guess the cvt u drove must not be right. bored of automatics we cant say that since people like me drive a lot. i drive about 40 kms a day bumper to bumper so i have to love auto

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmob (Post 803201)
well i talked to him and my cousin was like he dosent wanna make it a proper race car, its just that he wants that extra punch while driving just the way he would have got if he had a vtec............:Frustrati

so my thinking is that a large modification can be skipped in this case and a ECU reamp, FFE and a CAI should give the enough punch to the car, what say guys?

you are in New Delhi. Arush is the man for such mods. Contact him, his id here autopsyche.
FFE (including headers and manifolds) and CAI will do the trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmob (Post 802710)
well actually his dad is of the opinion that a vtec is worthless as honda is charging 9 lakhs just for the change in name!!!!

What happened is happened, but still a question. Whwy didn't you guys try to explain him what's the actual difference and it is not just a name change? You could have asked the dealer also to explain things to him. Or is it like he was against the Vtec being driven by your cousin (Vtec is not a bomb but still a faster and peppy car)? Sorry and no offense, but can't understand why someone thinks a co like Honda will charge an extra 2 lacs for just a name change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesal (Post 804249)
oh ok ill leave the engine bit out really. my dream car still is and will be evo 10 autobox for a long time to come. hehehe. i guess the cvt u drove must not be right. bored of automatics we cant say that since people like me drive a lot. i drive about 40 kms a day bumper to bumper so i have to love auto

:OT An EVO in bumper to bumper traffic would suck! The raw power would barely let you inch [you'd probably foot]. Yeah I travel 55-60 KMs a day, autos are a boon in traffic, but I just hate the fact that there's nothing to do...no excitement.

Well back to the topic at hand:
Dude I doubt that just a CAI and a FFE would be enough to satiate your cousin's Need For Speed. You'd probably also want a new ECU to get that extra 12bhp right off the bat...Then again that's just me :D

Doc

haha ask your cousin to buy a Verna VGT and install pete's box and CAI. It will make his Verna an Insane Mad Bull.