Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 18:49   #61
BHPian

Re: The Soul of a Royal Enfield...and other random thoughts

I completely agree with Sidzzone. He echoed my take on the Royal Enfield.
I personally believe that the benchmark bikes setting a trend in Indian scenario will have attention around and owners will have attachment with their automobile.
Ex. RD 350 or a D390. May be, That's my thought.
Old 30th August 2015, 14:58   #62

I knew a 'Bulleteer' who rode to work one day with two bottles (I recollect one Coke & another Sprite - 2L?) taped together in place of the fuel tank that was undergoing repairs!

In Hyderabad, you HAD to know a good Bullet mechanic, who would in turn need to be coaxed to fix things no one else could!
Old 30th August 2015, 19:58   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhendry View Post
I knew a 'Bulleteer' who rode to work one day with two bottles (I recollect one Coke & another Sprite - 2L?) taped together in place of the fuel tank that was undergoing repairs!
Took me a minute to realize he had filled those bottles with petrol. I thought....never mind.

I recall in the 70's Volvo had done some experiments and managed to run their trucks with 1:9 water and diesel mix.

Though water does not dissolve in it, perhaps the quantity of fluid mattered.

It was an article in scientific American magazine though I don't remember which issue.

I suppose it may work as diesel in a way "explodes" inside the engine and not "burn" like petrol.

In really cold areas I've seen truckers heating up the frozen engines in the mornings by lighting a fire beneath it. I guess it is the same logic.

The diesel is not going to burn or catch fire until it's pressurized to some degree.
Old 1st September 2015, 16:56   #64
BHPian

I would call it "Exclusivity" rather than "Sole". Those days riding an RE was a task, given the sheer weight of the machine, RHS gear, Kickbacks, etc. Most people would even find it hard to start the engine, forget about riding it. You need to constantly handle an RE all the time unlike other bikes wherein you can ride effortlessly. Again the exhaust note was definitely a head turner. But now things are completely changed including the exhaust note. And handling an RE is much easier and just like any other bike. In short, earlier REs were the SUVs of two wheelers. Now they have become more of a crossover.
neelemail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 22:20   #65
BHPian

The much maligned kickback of the bullet is she was a result of the following two factors.
1. These timing was improperly set.
2. You tried to give it a bit of throttle before it fired up. The result was a kickback.
Properly tuned and started with the right procedure all British singles fired up just fine. The ENFIELD was never trails bike. Not even a good highway one. If simply bullied the Indian consumer into buying, as it was the only bike available with that displacement.
The ENFIELD out today is a far cry from the junk sold earlier at least on paper. It is precisely the lack of initiative by companies like RE that kept motorcycling in India in the dark ages. Think about it, while RE England had twins in their line up 50 years or more back. The Indian company still doesn't have one.
Heard of Hobson's choice? Here is the live example.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks