Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 18:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

MiClimate: Cooling for motorcyclists

Came across this interesting bit of news:

http://www.gizmag.com/mi-climate-coo...yclists/42733/

Excerpt - Built around an adjustable belt strap, the MiClimate system is made up of a lithium-ion battery, a core cooling unit and a Bluetooth remote that can be attached to the handlebars. To control the climate within the jacket, the core unit draws ambient air in and heats or cools it using a thermo-electric system. Once it's been conditioned the air is directed upwards through a flexible manifold, before a flexible internal structure releases it under the jacket.

MiClimate's 12-V, 72-Wh battery should offer up about four hours of comfort before it's time to recharge. If that won't cut it, the system can also be run off the motorbike battery. According to its creators, MiClimate is capable of cutting 18° F (10° C) from what's going on outside, or adding 36° F (20° C) to the ambient temperature

So, who's gonna buy one?

MiClimate: Cooling for motorcyclists-1.jpg

MiClimate: Cooling for motorcyclists-2.jpg

MiClimate: Cooling for motorcyclists-3.jpg

MiClimate: Cooling for motorcyclists-4.jpg

MiClimate: Cooling for motorcyclists-5.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2016 at 11:42. Reason: Adding some pics :)
Urban_Nomad is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 18:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: MiClimate: Cooling for motorcyclists

Welcome gadget for bikers I guess.

But cutting 10 degrees in peak of summer in India in most parts would not be that comfortable.
srishiva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 20:56   #3
BHPian

Great concept.
I think this is an evolution of a technology used in space suit cooling systems. There cold water is circulated to maintain the temperature. Here they have used peltier devices.
The only disadvantage of peltier devices is their remarkably poor efficiencies. If they manage to make it run off the bike battery without causing too many wires to dangle around it would be a great help for people who use two wheelers.
Nissan1180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 21:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But cutting 10 degrees in peak of summer in India in most parts would not be that comfortable.
That's the first thing that came to my mind. Last week, Delhi hit a high temp of 47 degrees or so, 5% humidity. For me, riding to work meant riding into a giant blow dryer

That said, it should help with the humidity factor too which is another great source of irritation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Great concept.
I think this is an evolution of a technology used in space suit cooling systems. There cold water is circulated to maintain the temperature. Here they have used peltier devices.
The only disadvantage of peltier devices is their remarkably poor efficiencies. If they manage to make it run off the bike battery without causing too many wires to dangle around it would be a great help for people who use two wheelers.
Great info! Wires I think are going to be a part of the package similar to how we see on heated gear (gloves and jackets) that many bikers use abroad. But I always wonder about the safety aspect of it. You are basically tethered to the bike with all those wires. Will be an added risk when the bike goes down and the rider is still latched on to the bike instead of sliding away from it
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 12:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: MiClimate: Cooling for motorcyclists

Now honda jumps on the motorcycle air conditioning bandwagon - http://motorbikewriter.com/honda-pat...-conditioning/
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 13:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Well, the MiClimate does look cool.

"The holster-style mounting for the core unit, which could make people think you're packing heat of a different kind."

Personally, I wouldn't mind people thinking I'm carrying that kind of heat!

Thing that does concern me is, as the article mentions the ability of the MiClimate to circulate air in tight leather jackets is doubtful.

Also my concern is with the air circulation for the arms! The reason being arms are always exposed to the sun, and if the air is not reaching the shoulders and arms, you'll be left with sweaty underarms and shoulders anyway.

4 hours of riding time is decent for everyday usage, and hope the attachment to the motorcycle battery isn't messy.

US$269 approximately equal to Rs. 16,750. Well, this is an individual choice, so no comments on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Now honda jumps on the motorcycle air conditioning bandwagon[/url]
Air passing over an ice-pack!

I guess in India, we'll have to carry a fridge along then.
Omkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 20:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Personally, I wouldn't mind people thinking I'm carrying that kind of heat!
Lol. My concern however is being asked at every traffic signal - Bhaiya, yo kya laga rakha hai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Air passing over an ice-pack!

I guess in India, we'll have to carry a fridge along then.
On the face of it, this "Air-conditioner" should work a sum total of 2 minutes in our peak summers. But given that its Honda we are talking about, they would have hopefully thought this through. What almost killed me though was "you can drink the water once the ice melts"

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 26th May 2016 at 20:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks