Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:15   #1
BHPian

Iridum spark plugs for a pulsar 180?

hey i have a pulsar 180 cc, wit a K&N filter and i've changed the spark plug cords, i want to know if its worth changing the spark plugs to iridum spark plugs ? what differnece will iridum sparks give? thanksss a ton !
Old 3rd October 2007, 01:47   #2

in case of small engine bikes like Pulsar 180, the difference is not noticeable. Since you mention plugs instead of plug, I assume you have a DTSi. Twin spark plug ignition is already good enough for your bike.
Old 9th October 2007, 20:09   #3
BHPian

I checked on the net and for a 250cc bike it improves acceleration by 0.8 seconds and also improves milage... so do u think its worth it ? for Rs 1000 per spark plug.. yeah i have the DTS-I pulsar
Old 10th October 2007, 02:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne D View Post
I checked on the net and for a 250cc bike it improves acceleration by 0.8 seconds and also improves milage... so do u think its worth it ? for Rs 1000 per spark plug.. yeah i have the DTS-I pulsar
I think thats a lot of money for a spark plug. I'd suggest you simply remove your exhaust or put one of those free'er flowing loud thumpy exhausts. It'll help more with that. I've got iridiums in my car which is 2800cc and still not much difference dude. Iridiums on my Gixxer 1000 as well not a great difference. I returned those and bought a double bubble windscreen instead for the money. you'd rather invest in reducing the weight of the bike by removing un-neccessary parts etc. You'll notice subtle differences.
Good luck

Last edited by highwayblaze : 10th October 2007 at 02:37.
Old 10th October 2007, 20:08   #5

Quote:
Which website is this ?
I get Iridium plugs for Rs 400/- (genuine) and agree with highwayblaze that they don't make much difference.
See, 2 sparks in a small chamber like Pulsar's is already enough. If you want more, I can get you spitfire plugs which produce 2 sparks each but don't last nearly as long as Iridium.

I have plans to come to Bangalore so let me know if you want me to get the plugs as well. Since this is off-topic, please PM me.
Old 15th October 2007, 09:29   #6
BHPian

I dont remember which site it was because i checked it long ago... i searched through google though.. 400 only? what would u suggest- splitfire spark plugs or iridium spark plugs? and how long will the spitfire spark plugs last for?
thanks a ton guys !
Old 15th October 2007, 13:15   #7
BANNED

Wont make any difference, just a waste of money. Stick to the stock ones and clean, change them as recommended.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:13   #8

Quote:
hey i have a pulsar 180 cc, wit a K&N filter and i've changed the spark plug cords, i want to know if its worth changing the spark plugs to iridum spark plugs ? what differnece will iridum sparks give? thanksss a ton !

Hi

I got NGK Iridium spark plugs for my 180 DTSi. Costed 450 bucks each, from JC road. I felt them to be worth. Not a noticable improvement in power, but the engine seems a lot smoother.

I would like to know where you got the spark plug cords from in B'lore.

Cheers
Old 23rd October 2007, 19:57   #9
BHPian

Heyy ... which shop did u get them from ? is it that Royal shop... i got Maxspeed spark plug cords but u even get Splitfire... i paid 500 for each cord... i got it from JC rd. but its hard to explain which shop exactly and i dont remember which cross it is. but the next time i go there, i'll surely take note of it and let u know.
At 7000 Rpm i get a sudden boost of power.. no idea if it could be because of the spark plug cords or wat... any ideas?
Old 24th October 2007, 05:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMITHMOHAN View Post
Hi

I got NGK Iridium spark plugs for my 180 DTSi. Costed 450 bucks each, from JC road. I felt them to be worth. Not a noticable improvement in power, but the engine seems a lot smoother.

I would like to know where you got the spark plug cords from in B'lore.

Cheers
OMG thats a lot for a NGK sparkplug.
Imm in Dubai i got the Ngk spark plug for 3.50$ that is about 150 Rs!

it really makes a difference! My bike with racing gears used to stall everytime on normal sparkplugs! but after swaping it with NGK it doesnt stall at all!
The main reason for stalling was carbon used to get collected in the plug!
Old 26th October 2007, 18:00   #11
BHPian

wow thats pretty cheap for a spark plug, but is the the NGK 9 spark plug? those are meant for racing..
yeah ? which bike do u have ? because on a 180 cc bike there should be a differnence.. i'll go to JC rd n pick em up when i can..
Old 29th October 2007, 14:00   #12

Quote:
Heyy ... which shop did u get them from ? is it that Royal shop... i got Maxspeed spark plug cords but u even get Splitfire... i paid 500 for each cord... i got it from JC rd. but its hard to explain which shop exactly and i dont remember which cross it is. but the next time i go there, i'll surely take note of it and let u know.
At 7000 Rpm i get a sudden boost of power.. no idea if it could be because of the spark plug cords or wat... any ideas?
Hi I got it from a shop called Amit agencies in the interiors of JC road area.

Check this site for the address:
[COLOR=#000000]http://www.ngkntk.in/network2wheeler.htm[/COLOR]

Direction to the shop
While comin from Jain college direction, enter into J.C Road. There is Kamat Hotel on the left. The second left from there (first left goes to Pai viceroy), and go straight in that road till u reach the end, and turn right there. Right hand side is the shop
Old 29th October 2007, 14:04   #13

Quote:
wow thats pretty cheap for a spark plug, but is the the NGK 9 spark plug? those are meant for racing..
yeah ? which bike do u have ? because on a 180 cc bike there should be a differnence.. i'll go to JC rd n pick em up when i can..

I have a Pulsar 180 DTSi UG II

Have a K & N filter and Iridium spark plugs on them. I got both around the same time, so cant say which of the two has improved performance. But yes there is a considerable improvement in performance. And the Iridium spark plugs may not make much difference to the power boost, but they do have a lot longer life than ordinary plugs, and definitely make the engine a lot smoother. Just keep in mind the hear range when you buy the plug, though the guy at the shop i mentioned earlier would be more than glad to help u select the right one.

Would be great to know where I could find the spark plug cords. Anyone with directions or name of some shop where I could get them, please post them. Thanks
Old 30th October 2007, 15:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Wont make any difference, just a waste of money. Stick to the stock ones and clean, change them as recommended.
I agree ... Stock plugs last for a year (minimum) ... So what's the point ??

Anyways, I'm coming to Bangalore on 8th November and will stay for about a week or 2 ... Anyone wana meet up for a drag race, stunt session or long ride ? SMS me on 09811-313-272 ...
Old 31st October 2007, 16:15   #15
BHPian

hey guys, i put the NGK 9 iridium spark plugs, they cost 1000 bucks each but i though i'd try it out... the engin runs smoother and i do feel a slight improvement in pick up...thanks for all the help !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks