Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 20:22   #451
BHPian

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...makes the Fortuner AT effortless to drive within urban confines.

...Considering that I was easily overtaking vehicles on a single lane highway, expressway overtaking should be even simpler...

...For 99% of potential Fortuner owners out there, the 4x2 makes the most sense and it will be more fuel-efficient too.
So then, I've paid the advance and should be picking up the black-AT on Tuesday. Couple of questions here:
  1. I've refused the Toyota Protect insurance at Rs 66083 as I'm getting a deep discount from my existing insurer since NCB is getting transferred. Good idea?
  2. I'm giving the Toyota Genuine Accessories worth Rs 5132 a pass given that I plan to buy the 3D Kagu mats to avoid dirtying the floor carpets. Good idea?
  3. Apparently the Toyota Car Care Smiles package at Rs 6300 makes service upto 20,000 km (or 2 years, whichever is earlier) completely free. Should I go in for that?
  4. I was told that there is no extended warranty package. True?
  5. Should I go in for any other Toyota accessories at this time? For example, if I want the electric outside folding mirror, then should I do it now or later (I mean, can I get a discount on the electric mirror by turning in the current mirror, or is it an add-on?)
  6. Will changing to some other tyres make it a more comfortable ride? Asking this as I'm moving from a sedan and I want to make it a pleasant change for my family members (who've graciously agreed to let me get an SUV).
  7. Any Fortuner specific PDI tips (other than the standard bulletproof tbhp checklist)? Dealers yard is at Hosur Road, any tbhpian nearby who'd be interested and generous enough to join? Please PM.

Off topic, I suddenly realized that I've been knighted beyond my newbie status. Thanks to the Mod(s) who did the honor(s)! I must say I've enjoyed my toddler years, which included a courtesy call from R-sir when I bought the same sedan as he. I hope it is an adequate expression of my respect when I say that I feel confident to go for the AT-beast based on this thread alone, particularly - because of the above quoted review.
Old 29th June 2012, 21:50   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend

So then, I've paid the advance and should be picking up the black-AT on Tuesday. Couple of questions here:
[*]I've refused the Toyota Protect insurance at Rs 66083 as I'm getting a deep discount from my existing insurer since NCB is getting transferred. Good idea?[*]I'm giving the Toyota Genuine Accessories worth Rs 5132 a pass given that I plan to buy the 3D Kagu mats to avoid dirtying the floor carpets. Good idea?[*]Apparently the Toyota Car Care Smiles package at Rs 6300 makes service upto 20,000 km (or 2 years, whichever is earlier) completely free. Should I go in for that?[*]I was told that there is no extended warranty package. True?[*]Should I go in for any other Toyota accessories at this time? For example, if I want the electric outside folding mirror, then should I do it now or later (I mean, can I get a discount on the electric mirror by turning in the current mirror, or is it an add-on?)[*]Will changing to some other tyres make it a more comfortable ride? Asking this as I'm moving from a sedan and I want to make it a pleasant change for my family members (who've graciously agreed to let me get an SUV).[*]Any Fortuner specific PDI tips (other than the standard bulletproof tbhp checklist)? Dealers yard is at Hosur Road, any tbhpian nearby who'd be interested and generous enough to join? Please PM.

Off topic, I suddenly realized that I've been knighted beyond my newbie status. Thanks to the Mod(s) who did the honor(s)! I must say I've enjoyed my toddler years, which included a courtesy call from R-sir when I bought the same sedan as he. I hope it is an adequate expression of my respect when I say that I feel confident to go for the AT-beast based on this thread alone, particularly - because of the above quoted review.
Well done! All the best on the new AT monster.
If you're getting a deep discount on your existing insurance do go with it. Nothing like the known devil.
3D kagu mats are an excellent idea indeed. Buy them at Hot tracks on Victoria Road, near Lifestyle Richmond Road.
If I were you, I would do the smiles package.
I don't know frankly if any car manufacturer in today's world can say that there is no extended warranty but it is better that the Toyota experts comment on this.
I think the tyres that the Fortuner comes with are pretty good overall. I would let them run their course and then make a change, not least because I believe that each tyre costs rather a bomb.
When are you headed for PDI? I live close by and if you wish I can come but I am not a Toyota expert. Im free from about 2pm tomorrow.
Let me know. I will PM you so you can ring me.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th June 2012 at 21:56.
Old 29th June 2012, 23:34   #453
BHPian

Thanks shankar.balan for offering the support! I'm not sure whether the PDI will happen tomorrow or next week. I'll call you after I find out.

Also, wanted to shout out to 3 adventurers who've been big influences in making this decision:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
This thread seeks to capture my adventures with a Toyota Fortuner......christened Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
It gives me great pleasure to announce the delivery of my new baby..a White Fortuner with TRD body kit..it was a tough and long labour but in the end all's well that ends well!..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
It was around 8 PM when my phone rang. I went to the terrace to take the call.
Old 29th June 2012, 23:53   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks shankar.balan for offering the support! I'm not sure whether the PDI will happen tomorrow or next week. I'll call you after I find out.

Also, wanted to shout out to 3 adventurers who've been big influences in making this decision:
Thanks....and welcome to the club!

No special checklist for the Fortuner. The standard one should good enough. If you hadn't made up your mind, I would have recommended the 4x4 version

Last edited by nilanjanray : 29th June 2012 at 23:56.
Old 30th June 2012, 04:10   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No worries mate.
Give me a buzz or text in the afternoon today if you like.
I think if Im not wrong the Fort comes with monster size Dunlop Grand Trek tyres as OEM.
My neighbour has one and he really uses his vehicle to the hilt - farm, construction sites here and there, out of town trips here and there etc. It is always buzzing around and driven pretty toughly by a succession of different chaps thought mostly my neighbour himself. The tyres seem as pristine as when he bought it. He has done close to 18000 or more kms in the last year or so that he has had the vehicle.
I think that vehicle is more or less indestructible and will go on happily for ages and ages.
Old 30th June 2012, 06:57   #456
BHPian

Quote:

During PDI or delivery pls ensure the tire pressure. While the SA insisted it was 30 and they had double checked it, I found it to be 48 on all tires in front of their eyes.
Old 30th June 2012, 07:54   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
So then, I've paid the advance and should be picking up the black-AT on Tuesday.
Congratulations.

Quote:
[*]I've refused the Toyota Protect insurance at Rs 66083 as I'm getting a deep discount from my existing insurer since NCB is getting transferred. Good idea?
There figures are inflated and I didn't find them providing me any extra benefit that can explain the high premium. The only thing the SA could come up with (when I was buying my altis 6 months back), was that I would get cashless facilities across the country. According to him this is only possible if you buy that Toyota insurance. So you have to decide for yourself. The NCB can be transferred to the Toyota insurance also. I would personally recommend to buy the insurance from outside as it will be much cheaper and doesn't make too much of a difference in the end.

Quote:
[*]I'm giving the Toyota Genuine Accessories worth Rs 5132 a pass given that I plan to buy the 3D Kagu mats to avoid dirtying the floor carpets. Good idea?
What all is included in the genuine accessories? I would recommend you to have a look at the boot mat/tray. Kagu mats are the best floor mats for the front. Another accessory you can look at is the muffler cutter.

Quote:
[*]Apparently the Toyota Car Care Smiles package at Rs 6300 makes service upto 20,000 km (or 2 years, whichever is earlier) completely free. Should I go in for that?
I would recommend you to take this. It really makes getting your car serviced extremely stress free and fun. Do analyse your expected yearly running before opting for the package. You need not buy the package for 20k kms. Rather buy it for 10k kms incase your expected running for a year would not touch 20k kms. The 10k smile package will obviously cost you less and you incase your car runs more then you can always renew your package after the 10k kms service gets over.

Quote:
[*]I was told that there is no extended warranty package. True?
Call toyota and check it out with them. You might not wanna lose on the extended warranty just due to dealer ignorance.

Quote:
[*]Should I go in for any other Toyota accessories at this time? For example, if I want the electric outside folding mirror, then should I do it now or later (I mean, can I get a discount on the electric mirror by turning in the current mirror, or is it an add-on?)
I don't think you will get any discounts or buy back options. Still never hurts to ask them and push them for the same. Otherwise Get it done later I would say.
Edit: Doesn't the new fortuner come with Electrically foldable ORVMs?

Last edited by drmohitg : 30th June 2012 at 08:05.
Old 30th June 2012, 11:34   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Edit: Doesn't the new fortuner come with Electrically foldable ORVMs?
Yes, the mirrors are electrically foldable.

Here's the pic :
Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-toyotanew-fortuner09.jpg

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 30th June 2012, 13:22   #459
BHPian

Quote:
  1. I've refused the Toyota Protect insurance at Rs 66083 as I'm getting a deep discount from my existing insurer since NCB is getting transferred. Good idea?
  2. I'm giving the Toyota Genuine Accessories worth Rs 5132 a pass given that I plan to buy the 3D Kagu mats to avoid dirtying the floor carpets. Good idea?
  3. Apparently the Toyota Car Care Smiles package at Rs 6300 makes service upto 20,000 km (or 2 years, whichever is earlier) completely free. Should I go in for that?
  4. I was told that there is no extended warranty package. True?
  5. Should I go in for any other Toyota accessories at this time? For example, if I want the electric outside folding mirror, then should I do it now or later (I mean, can I get a discount on the electric mirror by turning in the current mirror, or is it an add-on?)
  6. Will changing to some other tyres make it a more comfortable ride? Asking this as I'm moving from a sedan and I want to make it a pleasant change for my family members (who've graciously agreed to let me get an SUV).
  7. Any Fortuner specific PDI tips (other than the standard bulletproof tbhp checklist)? Dealers yard is at Hosur Road, any tbhpian nearby who'd be interested and generous enough to join? Please PM.
Quote:
First of all Congratulations and welcome to the ever growing Fortuner owners club!! I think you will find this was one of the soundest decisions you have made.

The Fortuner with its legendary Toyota DNA is a very capable and reliable machine. You can change my name if you dont break into a smile on a few occasions while driving it.

I think choosing the Manual 4x4, 4x2 or Automatic is a very personal decision and every one has their own reasons for choosing one over the other. I always wanted a rugged Manual 4x4 so was delighted when Toyota finally launched this mini Landcruiser.

Insurance again is a personal choice. You can go with any company you choose. My only suggestion is to go for the Zero depreciation policy that covers all parts. It may seem expensive but can save you quite a bit of money. Each headlight for example is over 40k in the new Fortuner. (24k in the Classic)

Kagu Mats are a good idea as they are washable i presume. I use high quality Rubber mats and trust me even after 2 and a half years of use they look as good as new after a wash.

Smiles package is also a good idea. I spent about 7500/- in the first two years so you will save about a thousand there.

The Fortuner comes with electric folding mirrors as standard equipment.

The Dunlop Grandtrek tyres the Fortuner comes with are brilliant performers. They are good offroad as well as on fast highway cruising. My Fortuner is past the 55,000 kms mark and i am still on my original set of tyres. I would suggest you do not change these.

Enjoy your new ride and take care of it. Look forward to your review with lots of pics posted.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 13:54   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001

Yes, the mirrors are electrically foldable.

Here's the pic :

Cheers,
Sameer
Oh thank god this being discussed here as i was really confused about this. How does this work? And also toyota adds the foldable mirrors as an accessory. So how is it already in the vehicle itself?

Also regardingthe insurance. I paid 83,000 for toyota insurance.

Last edited by ethan3686 : 30th June 2012 at 13:55.
Old 30th June 2012, 14:08   #461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
Oh thank god this being discussed here as i was really confused about this. How does this work? And also toyota adds the foldable mirrors as an accessory. So how is it already in the vehicle itself?

Also regardingthe insurance. I paid 83,000 for toyota insurance.
The mirrors are electrically foldable. What Toyota sells as an accessory is a module which makes the mirrors fold automatically every time the car is locked, and open upon unlocking.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 14:57   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

The mirrors are electrically foldable. What Toyota sells as an accessory is a module which makes the mirrors fold automatically every time the car is locked, and open upon unlocking.
And how does this electric folding work? Should i just press that folding button and they will automatically fold? But that does not seem to happen.
Old 30th June 2012, 15:13   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
And how does this electric folding work? Should i just press that folding button and they will automatically fold? But that does not seem to happen.
You just select the mirror which you want to fold, read 'left' or 'right', and then press folding button. It'll fold.

Cheers!
Old 30th June 2012, 16:13   #464
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
You just select the mirror which you want to fold, read 'left' or 'right', and then press folding button. It'll fold.

Cheers!
Are you sure of this?

I don't think you can select which mirror has to be folded. The L and R given is for choosing which mirror has to be adjusted using the toggle key given at the bottom.

The mirrors fold and open in unison and this happens when the "fold" button is pressed or depressed.
Old 30th June 2012, 17:00   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Are you sure of this?

I don't think you can select which mirror has to be folded. The L and R given is for choosing which mirror has to be adjusted using the toggle key given at the bottom.

The mirrors fold and open in unison and this happens when the "fold" button is pressed or depressed.
I am sorry, mistake on my side

I agree with you, mirrors fold and open in unison, we can only adjust them separately, Sorry again.

Cheers,
Sameer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks