Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 21:48   #1
BHPian

Vizag to Amritsar Route?

Hi everyone. I'm planning a road trip with some buddies and need some advice. The first leg of our trip would be from Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh to Amritsar, Punjab by road. We would be travelling in a Innova or an Aria. We would need to do this as fast as safely possible. So just looking for accurate information from experienced members on route to take. Looking for best route to take, as in Good roads. If regular travellers along this route could give advice or share information on which segments of this route offer good tarmac, it would be a great help.
Old 14th May 2014, 04:26   #2
BHPian

re: Vizag to Amritsar Route?

I could guide You in Punjab. I just Googled and foun two routes but there is only one in Punjab which I would recommend not following at all. I would recommend using GT Road from Delhi and don't through villages of Punjab after Sunam and Sangrur because the road near Moga are broken to an large extent. Go through Ludhiana and then Jalandhar and then to Amritsar. There is a 20 Km single lane stretch from jalandhar to Amritsar which is one of the most dangerous roads to drive because it's single lane and has no divider and the traffic is crazy there. Imagine a single lane road between a Six Lane and a Four Lane road. Be careful on that road. I would give you a better way but there is more probability u would get lost there but those are one of the best roads I have driven on. Beating even roads in the US. They go from Kapurthala to Tarn Taran and then to Amritsar and you go through various sceneries and Historic Places and even near a newly built power plant.

So the route I would recommend from Delhi is use the GT Road. It maybe a bit longer but will be worth the time due to safety of the route and a single straight road so less chance of being lost. Carry a GPS with you as it will help a lot. Download Google Maps on your phone as their navigation is one of the best in India and will help you find routes quicker and easier.
V12Doc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 05:07   #3
BHPian

re: Vizag to Amritsar Route?

I would suggest you to stick to the GQ all the way to Delhi, via Kolkata. Good roads and safe options every where than going through some of the most dangerous areas and worst roads in Odisha and CG.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 06:54   #4
BHPian

Thanks V12Doc & JoseVijay. We were hesitant to dare the route via CG & Orissa, as we encountered some really bad roads on a trip to Raipur about 18 months ago, but hoped they could have improved in the recent past. Looks like we would be better off skipping CG and take the NH 5 through Odisha towards West Bengal.
Old 15th May 2014, 09:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vizag to Amritsar Route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviouravenger View Post
Thanks V12Doc & JoseVijay. We were hesitant to dare the route via CG & Orissa, as we encountered some really bad roads on a trip to Raipur about 18 months ago, but hoped they could have improved in the recent past. Looks like we would be better off skipping CG and take the NH 5 through Odisha towards West Bengal.
At the cost of distance, I think the safest route is :

Vizag-Hyd-Solapur-Pune-AMD-Jaipur-Amritsar. That would be much easier a route. Check with HVK on this.
Old 15th May 2014, 10:46   #6
BHPian

Thanks ampere! Will look to see if we can travel via this route!
Old 15th May 2014, 15:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Although the route recommended by ampere is safe and good, I would think a better route would be as follows:

Vizag-Vizianagaram-Jeyapore-Jagdalpur-Kanker-Raj Nandgaon-Bhandara-Nagpur-Seoni-Lakndadon-Narsingpur-Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Shivpuri-Kota-Tonk-Jaipur-Ratangarh-Sardarshahr-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Ferozepur-Zira-Amritsar
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 16:28   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Vizag-Vizianagaram-Jeyapore-Jagdalpur-Kanker-Raj Nandgaon-Bhandara-Nagpur-Seoni-Lakndadon-Narsingpur-Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Shivpuri-Kota-Tonk-Jaipur-Ratangarh-Sardarshahr-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Ferozepur-Zira-Amritsar
I was not sure about how good or bad is the access to Nagpur. Hence did not want to comment on a route via Central India.

How is that section HVK? (Vishakhapatna to Nagpur)

I know that most of Rajnandgaon-Nagpur part of NH6 is 4-laned. No idea on the other parts.
Old 15th May 2014, 16:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was not sure about how good or bad is the access to Nagpur. Hence did not want to comment on a route via Central India.

How is that section HVK? (Vishakhapatna to Nagpur)

I know that most of Rajnandgaon-Nagpur part of NH6 is 4-laned. No idea on the other parts.
Vizag-Jagdalpur, good NH, except for a few rough patches
Jagdalpur-Raj Nandgaon, good road
Raj Nandgaon-Nagpur, beautiful 4-laner
Nagpur Ring Road, no city mess (also option to take Bhandara-Gondiya-Ramtek-Seoni road)
Nagpur-Seoni, some 2-laned sections in the ghats are rough, but rest is 4-laned
Seon-Lakandon-Narsingpur-Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi, superb 4-laner
Jhansi-Kota, fantastic road
Kota town, a little messy but....
Kota-Tonk, road widening going on, a little messy
Tonk-Jaipur, superb 4-laner
Jaipur-Ratangarh, great Bikaner road
Ratangarh-Abohar, the mega highway that helps bypass NCR
Abohar-Ferozepur-Amritsar, fab road
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 21:05   #10
BHPian

Thanks hvkumar! Very detailed information. Precisely what I required. I was mainly concerned about state of roads in Odhisha, CG and MP. My trip is scheduled to start in the last week of June. Looking forward to posting a complete travelogue upon completion!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks