Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 14:29   #1
BHPian

Mysore to Palani - Help needed on Route

Guys, I am planning for a week-end trip from mysore to Palani . I am taking my aged parents, wife & 4 year kid in Santro. I drove maximum till now 250 kms on a single day and My average or Maximum speed will be around 60 km or at the maximum 70 kms.

I am planning to take Mysore- Sathy-Coimbatore-Palani . Please help me on:

1) Road conditions and whether this is the shortest route
2) If I start from mysore around 6 am, can I reach palani before 5 pm
3) I am the lone driver in the trip
4)My plan is to start on Saturday 6 am and be back on Mysore around 8 pm sunday. Is it possible.
Thanks in Advance for your help
Velu
Old 17th January 2008, 16:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Road conditions are good. Mysore-Coimbatore can be done in 4-6 hours, and from there Palani is 100 kms or approximately 3 hours away. Keep in mind the high traffic between sathy and Coimbatore and the fact that you have to go through Coimbatore City. But the are not very difficult issues. You can reach Palani by 5 pm after taking a couple of halts for food. Return on Sunday would be possible - I hope that you are able to get onto teh winch to climb up the Palani hill (can be very crowded sometimes).
Old 17th January 2008, 17:04   #3
BHPian

Thanks a lot Kumar.

And I have just 5 months of driving experience and I already drove in Wayanad Roads. Did the Sathy- CH Nagara Ghat road be scary(In terms of continous hair-pin bends Or High Altitude Valley views which I feel comfortable when I am in a bus BUT feel uncomforable when I Drive - I'm Feeling Nervous might be ) or It's manageable ?.

As of now, We are planning to walk up the palani Hills.
Regards
Velu
Old 18th January 2008, 09:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmvelu View Post
As of now, We are planning to walk up the palani Hills.
It is some walk. A lot of steps I mean. I hope you have been there before so you know. Apart from the time factor, your legs can get tired before you start your long journey back home. Not a big deal if your fit, though.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Dimbam ghats (Mysore-Sathy route) are not very steep and the roads are good, you should have no problem at all. The traffic between Sathy and Coimbatore (particularly buses and 2-wheelers) can be frustrating and please take care there. I hope you know your way around Coimbatore City, which is quite simple really. You will enter Coimbatore through Ganapathy, pass through Gandhipuram, Jail Road, Ralway Station. After the Railway Station, turn off right and go via Oppanakara Street to Ukkadam and the Pollachi Road.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:34   #6
BHPian

Thanks a lot Kumar .

Jay, We visited this place several years back and I don't remember exactly the difficulty level. Your hint is helpful. May be after going there and seeing the path, we need to take a call .

I took prinout of this thread + few other useful threads (On Hill Driving/ Do - Donts etc).

You folks are so helpful !!!!.Thanks Again.

Regards
Velu
Old 18th January 2008, 16:56   #7
BHPian

Alternate route
If you want to avoid Coimbatore, you can try Sathy - Tirupur - Dharapuram - Palani route. This is nearer also.

But Crossing Tirupur is as difficult as Coimbatore.

Palani has around 650 steps. You have 2 options in that also in midway. Either steps or something called "Yanai Pathai" (Elephant walk) not so many steps and not that steep.
Old 15th February 2009, 08:01   #8
BHPian

Bangalore - Palani route and road condition info needed

Dear all,
Can you someone help me to find out the best route to go to Palani from Bangalore. I would also like to know the present road conditions.
Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2009, 22:40   #9
BHPian

Hi Sarin,

For going to Palani from Bangalore you can try the following route

1. Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Thoppur is straight forward. The route to reach Hosur is documented already depending on where/when you plan to start.
2. Take Right to Mettur - Ammapettai - Anthiyur
3. From here ask for directions to Athani and from there on to Gobi(chettipalayam)
4. From Gobi take a left (next to to bus stand) to Kolapalur, cross NH 45 at Chengapalli, continue on straight to Utukuli
4.Once your reach Utukuli, cross the Railway line (using overbridge) and take a right to reach Kangeyam. Take right again there to go to Dharapuram.
5. Take the Dharapuram bye-pass and ask for directions to Palani / Odanchatiram route. Once you or on the road the road forks left to Odanchatiram. Take the straight road (almost straight literally) to Palani.

Except point 1 all the other routes are SH, but these roads are well maintained. Please take this if you are aware / comfortable with asking directions. Point 2 is documented well elsewhere in this forum. This route avoids the bad roads and also avoids bottlenecks in Coimbatore / Thiruppur city traffic. If you are a steady driver expect to reach Palani by afternoon if you start from Bangalore early (around 4 am).

Last edited by DWind : 15th February 2009 at 22:43.
Old 16th February 2009, 00:42   #10
BHPian

I followed Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Perunthurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Palani while going to Kodaikanal in december. Well documented route (search for Kodai) in forum.I did it in 7 hours in night driving (0040 to 0740), if you start at 0400 it could be even quicker.
Old 17th February 2009, 06:57   #11
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks Gusy for the info. What is the total distance to Palani from Bangalore in this route. Also is this route is better than the Bangalore-Salem-Dindigal route? Asking route is not a problem.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 17th February 2009, 09:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

375 kms from Bangalore Madivala to Palani via Mettur and Dharapuram
Old 11th March 2009, 09:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Thanks Gusy for the info. What is the total distance to Palani from Bangalore in this route. Also is this route is better than the Bangalore-Salem-Dindigal route? Asking route is not a problem.
Regards,
Sarin
Apologies for late reply, not sure whether you have already done the trip.Mettur route shorter and definitely more scenic. I read (in this forum) that Salem-Dinidgul four laning work going on.If you have done that strech, please post your experience.
Old 12th March 2009, 06:33   #14
BHPian

Salem dindigul

Thanks Arindam. I went to Palani two weeks back and used the Salem, Namakkal, Karur route. Many BHPian's suggested the other route from Thoppur. I was little confused with the route and decided to take NH7 route mentioned. The road is in perfect condition till Salem. From Salem, as you also mentioned, the four laning work is going on and one need to change the lanes in between. The road is in pretty good condition, except that at the change over you may have some bad patches. I was not feeling that bad area in my SX4. One need to take a left turn after to Vedasandur and from there it is the SH. The total distance was 391 KM from Gottigere (on Bannerghatta Road via NICE) and my driving time was 6 hours with one hour break in between. I hope this helps
Old 17th March 2009, 00:47   #15
BHPian

Could not locate Vedasundar. Is it on NH 7 itself, between Karur and Dindigul.

If yes, then you would have taken a right turn, not a left one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks