Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 23:07   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

and why D-man is suggesting COBRA detector? to somebody who wants to know about driving privileges.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 23:24   #32
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: dont know
Posts: 199
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Vivek prevention is better than cure. Just in case he can't get the liscense on time atleast he could keep the cops at a distance.

@Ash: i am not suggesting to drive without a liscense I am just adding to what Nitin mentioned about people driving without liscense. Hope this makes it more clear. btw you dont get deported to India for this. My cousin who was on student visa got a dwi + reckless driving was not deported too. you can refer to deportation laws on USCIS Home Page

Last edited by D-Man : 5th June 2009 at 23:30.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:51   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I was just curious, can you guys in the US turn right on a red light in a 4 way intersection?

In Canada, it's usually allowed in all provinces except for Quebec. But we still need to treat it as a stop sign before turning right on a red light.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:27   #34
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,610
Thanked: 14,894 Times
Default

Depends. For example in california, you have to yield, and not stop when turning right, unless there is an explicit Stop sign.
Some intersections have a red light for turning right also, in that case you have to stop.
The california drivers handbook elaborates in detail on all these, and when you give driving test, the invigilator takes you through such intersections.
So if you stop without a stop sign, you lose points.
Another case when you have to stop is when there is a pedestrian. Even slightly not yielding to pedestrian means you fail the driving test
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 22:46   #35
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 1,349 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
I was just curious, can you guys in the US turn right on a red light in a 4 way intersection?

In Canada, it's usually allowed in all provinces except for Quebec. But we still need to treat it as a stop sign before turning right on a red light.
You can't turn at a red light in New York City (all 5 boros) at any intersection - there's only two places where you can.

In other places, it's usually marked with a No Turn On Red sign, or with timings and days when you can / can't turn. Or as tsk said, with a red-turn light.

If no marking, then you can turn. I know you can turn in some of the other big cities eg. D.C. / Baltimore, unless marked.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th June 2009 at 22:51.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 00:27   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,500
Thanked: 1,832 Times
Default

One thing I can definitely say is that its one hell of a confusing situation, as I find most things there are. So many states and each has its own laws to the minutest detail and differences there. Its so easy to drive across state borders and then get penalized as a particular rule is bang opposite to what it is in another.

In such times India appears so much better. On country, one law, no law...
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 09:42   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
One thing I can definitely say is that its one hell of a confusing situation, as I find most things there are. So many states and each has its own laws to the minutest detail and differences there. Its so easy to drive across state borders and then get penalized as a particular rule is bang opposite to what it is in another.

In such times India appears so much better. On country, one law, no law...
True say. Confuses the hell out of me. Thankfully the varying maximum speed limits on the state/provincial highways are taken care of by the road signs, or I'd be in real trouble.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 09:49   #38
BHPian
 
muralisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyderabad, Bangalore
Posts: 674
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

There is one very peculiar thing about NJ. At many of the internal roads, there aren't any left turns. Instead, you need to watch out for the "Jug Handle" - which will allow you to branch off the straight road and puts you perpendicular to the road.

This is very unique to NJ and I have not see in any of the NE states that I have driven through.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 00:29   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Left Hand drive -- is it difficult?

I am planning to drive for a few days in Europe by end of this month. I have about 12 years of driving experience in India. My question is will it be very difficult to have get accustomed to the left-hand drive mode?

My fear is going in the wrong direction in the turns. Can I take the risk? please advise me.
dameem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 11:06   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 682 Times
Default

dameem, it isn't difficult at all, from my experience. I had to drive in US recently, and it was very easy. The only time I got mixed up with right-left was when I was walking. Never while driving :-)

The advantage you have in the west is, the roads (even narrow ones) are neatly marked with yellow and white lines, so you will always do the right thing as long as you know the meanings of these lines.

Perhaps the only caution you would need to take is when you are driving inside parking areas. Then too, you'll get used to it within a week.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 11:44   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,352
Thanked: 1,360 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameem View Post
I am planning to drive for a few days in Europe by end of this month. I have about 12 years of driving experience in India. My question is will it be very difficult to have get accustomed to the left-hand drive mode?

My fear is going in the wrong direction in the turns. Can I take the risk? please advise me.
Just practice in the parking lots when empty; drive cautiously & keep concentrating all the times; never try to drive in the highway for first time & try experiementing in areas were speed limits are less;get to the habit ot looking to left followed by right; most importantly try to think that you've just learned driving & you need to remain cautious & I'm sure you'll be master in few days. This is what I practiced when I was in Detroit & it took less than a week for me.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 11:44   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 726
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

@dameem - in one word - NO.
It will not be difficult if you have so much experience of driving already.
Its just like when you shift from your car to someone else's or a bigger car - it takes a few kms to get used to (probably a few days to totally master it) but still fairly easy. Just make sure is that you follow all the rules/signs and do not be apprehensive.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 02:29   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 1,630 Times
Default Re: An Indian in New Jersey! - Questions about driving in the USA

Reviving this old thread.

I am in NJ currently. Jersey City to be precise. Need advice from anyone who has recently applied for a Driving License here.
I hold the a Smartcard type Indian Driving License (issued in Bangalore). However I do not hold any IDP.

The MV website is not very articulate about the process. Hence need some guidance.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/FirstTime.htm
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 05:23   #44
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 929
Thanked: 1,870 Times
Default Re: An Indian in New Jersey! - Questions about driving in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Reviving this old thread.

I am in NJ currently. Jersey City to be precise. Need advice from anyone who has recently applied for a Driving License here.
I hold the a Smartcard type Indian Driving License (issued in Bangalore). However I do not hold any IDP.

The MV website is not very articulate about the process. Hence need some guidance.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/FirstTime.htm
I'm not sure how many months you can drive with Indian license in NJ. It depends from state to state. NJ folks can provide accurate information. But for applying a driving license, most of the states require you to produce SSN, address proof (such as bank statement, lease agreement), passport along with I-94. If you have these documents, the procedure should be straightforward i.e., clearing the learner's permit test and then the road test.

This link should help you:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...n-Citizens.htm

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 12th October 2016 at 05:25.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 06:19   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 1,630 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I'm not sure how many months you can drive with Indian license in NJ. It depends from state to state. NJ folks can provide accurate information. But for applying a driving license, most of the states require you to produce SSN, address proof (such as bank statement, lease agreement), passport along with I-94. If you have these documents, the procedure should be straightforward i.e., clearing the learner's permit test and then the road test.

This link should help you:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...n-Citizens.htm
Thanks a lot buddy ! Yes, I have all of the required documents you mentioned. I will go through the link you shared and see the process.

The office near me closes at 5:30 everyday, except Tuesday. Will visit them soon to talk to a human being instead of online searches. Probably they should be okay with the documents I have.

Am not buying / driving a car soon (except occasional rentals), but keeping a state id and a driving license helps for the future. The longer I have a driving license, lower are insurance costs when (and if) I buy a car.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My experience at the California Superbike School, New Jersey JayKis Superbikes & Imports 20 27th September 2015 07:56
NASCAR driver Jason Leffler killed in New Jersey crash abhijeetsng Int'l Motorsport 3 14th June 2013 13:52
Niagara, New Jersey and New York TSEA Travelogues 43 17th January 2010 02:41
A beautiful Spring day in New Jersey abhijitaparadh Travelogues 25 16th May 2009 08:18
New Jersey Tollstation Crash-and-Burn incident Ram Shifting gears 11 29th May 2007 15:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks