Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 21:34   #61
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad -> Sikkim -> Bhutan Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Bad time. It will be raining when you go there. That means clouded & rainy atmosphere, possibilities of landslides in the Phuntsoling-THimphu road, etc. I would recommend first half of May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
East Bhutan during Monsoons would be impassable to a city unless you are ready for some serious underbody bruises.
Will the roads be that bad as early as June first week? According to my plan, we will exit Bhutan on 4th June from Samdrup Jhonkar. Do the monsoons hit Bhutan by May-end or early-June every year or is the trip doable during this period?

Will it be wise if I miss out visiting Bumthang and Trashigang considering that these places might get difficult to access due to the monsoons? I can visit Paro, Haa Valley, Thimphu and Punakha. Does visiting east Bhutan makes sense in June or can it be given a miss? If I skip east Bhutan, will I be missing anything as far as natural splendour is concerned?

Last edited by //M : 7th April 2014 at 21:39.
Old 7th April 2014, 23:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Will the roads be that bad as early as June first week? According to my plan, we will exit Bhutan on 4th June from Samdrup Jhonkar. Do the monsoons hit Bhutan by May-end or early-June every year or is the trip doable during this period?

Will it be wise if I miss out visiting Bumthang and Trashigang considering that these places might get difficult to access due to the monsoons? I can visit Paro, Haa Valley, Thimphu and Punakha. Does visiting east Bhutan makes sense in June or can it be given a miss? If I skip east Bhutan, will I be missing anything as far as natural splendour is concerned?
It rains a lot in May also. There are a few sections in Phuntsoling-Thimphu road which get badly affected by land slides. Some sections of the Thimphu-Trashigang road also get affected at times.

Bhutan will be very pretty in May-June, and I think Central Bhutan (Bumthang Valley) & East Bhutan are very pretty.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:14   #63
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It rains a lot in May also. There are a few sections in Phuntsoling-Thimphu road which get badly affected by land slides. Some sections of the Thimphu-Trashigang road also get affected at times.

Bhutan will be very pretty in May-June, and I think Central Bhutan (Bumthang Valley) & East Bhutan are very pretty.
Thank You so much HVK Sir. I think the Bhutan trip will be given a miss due to the monsoons.

Any other ideal hill destination that can be done in a Honda City from 28th May to 6th June ex-Ranchi? Maybe somewhere in Uttarakhand around Auli or Harsil? I am not aware if the roads are in good shape now post-floods in the Chamoli district. Any other suggestions, sir?
Old 8th April 2014, 09:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Thank You so much HVK Sir. I think the Bhutan trip will be given a miss due to the monsoons.

Any other ideal hill destination that can be done in a Honda City from 28th May to 6th June ex-Ranchi? Maybe somewhere in Uttarakhand around Auli or Harsil? I am not aware if the roads are in good shape now post-floods in the Chamoli district. Any other suggestions, sir?
UK is a good choice, but there will be lots of pilgrim traffic also at that time.
Harsil & Auli areas are good to go.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:27   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UK is a good choice, but there will be lots of pilgrim traffic also at that time.
Harsil & Auli areas are good to go.
If he is gonna brave the UK roads during monsoons he might just as well do the Bhutan leg. Seriously.
Old 23rd April 2014, 00:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
If he is gonna brave the UK roads during monsoons he might just as well do the Bhutan leg. Seriously.
He is going to UK in end-May - there are no monsoons at that time in UK, but there are rains in Bhutan in May....
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:14   #67
BHPian

Hyd-Bhutan in May- Route and Travel Advice

I am planning a trip to Bhutan from Hyderabad. Plan is to drive all the way from Hyderabad, traverse Bhutan from West to East, and return through the same route. After a lot of reading on TBHP and other forums, the following is the plan I have come up with. Please suggest as to road conditions, good places to stay for a family on the route, and any tweaks etc required.

Dates: 01-May-15 (Friday) to 17-May-15 (Sunday) (Fixed Dates)
Ride: Duster 110ps
Pax- 4 (all adults)
Route Plan:

1-May-15: Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vizag-Rambha (976Km)
2-May-15: Rambha-Bhubhaneswar-Cuttack-Kharagpur-Kolkata-Burdwan-Bolpur-Siuri (766 Km)
3-May-15: Siuri-Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnea-Dalkhola-Siliguri (450 Kms)
4-May-15: Siliguri-Sevoke-Chalsa-Birpara-Hasimara-Jaigaon (160 Kms)- Border Formalities at Phuntsholing
4-May-15: Phuntsholing-Gedu-Chukha-Paro (150 Kms)
5-May-15: Paro
6-May-15: Paro-Thimpu (60 Kms)- Permit Extensions at Thimpu
7-May-15: Thimpu- Permit extensions at Thimpu
8-May-15: Thimpu-Punakha- Wangdue Phodrang- Gantey- Trongsa (if possible)-Jakar (120Kms or 194 Kms or 220 Kms)
9-May-15: Gantey-Jakar (140 Kms)
10-May-15: Jakar
11-May-15: Jakar-Mongar- Trashigang (if possible) (170 Kms or 240 Kms)
12-May-15: Mongar- Trashigang (70 Kms)
13-May-15: Trashigang- Samdrup Jhongkhar (180 Kms)
13-May-15: Samdrup Jhongkhar- Guwahati (100 Kms)
14-May-15: Guwahati- Goalpara-Cooch Bihar- Dhupguri-Jalpaiguri- Siliguri (460 Kms)
15-May-15: Siliguri-Dalkhola-Purnea-Bhagalpur-Dumka-Siuri-Bolpur-Burdwan(550 Kms)
16-May-15: Burdwan-Kolkata-Kharagpur-Cuttack-Bhubhaneswar-Vizag (950 Kms)
17-May-15: Vizag-Vijaywada-Hyderabad (650 Kms)

Would want to drive mostly during the day only. Early starts on the longer legs (4-5am) to minimize driving after dark.

Queries:

1. Any major problems in plan? Something I have not considered thus far?
2. Extended destinations within Bhutan possible on 8-May and 11-May?
3. On 13-May, plan is to drive from Trashigang till Guwahati. Is this feasible? If no, suggestions for a logical stop?
4. Need suggestions for stay at the different night halts. Comfortable, reasonable, with safe parking and good for a family stay.

Open to exit at Gelephu as well, if it makes for a more relaxed vacation. Please let the suggestions pour in.
Old 25th March 2015, 20:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyd-Bhutan in May- Route and Travel Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
I am planning a trip to Bhutan from Hyderabad. Plan is to drive all the way from Hyderabad, traverse Bhutan from West to East, and return through the same route. After a lot of reading on TBHP and other forums, the following is the plan I have come up with. Please suggest as to road conditions, good places to stay for a family on the route, and any tweaks etc required.

Dates: 01-May-15 (Friday) to 17-May-15 (Sunday) (Fixed Dates)
Ride: Duster 110ps
Pax- 4 (all adults)
Route Plan:

1-May-15: Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vizag-Rambha (976Km)
2-May-15: Rambha-Bhubhaneswar-Cuttack-Kharagpur-Kolkata-Burdwan-Bolpur-Siuri (766 Km)
3-May-15: Siuri-Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnea-Dalkhola-Siliguri (450 Kms)
4-May-15: Siliguri-Sevoke-Chalsa-Birpara-Hasimara-Jaigaon (160 Kms)- Border Formalities at Phuntsholing
4-May-15: Phuntsholing-Gedu-Chukha-Paro (150 Kms)
5-May-15: Paro
6-May-15: Paro-Thimpu (60 Kms)- Permit Extensions at Thimpu
7-May-15: Thimpu- Permit extensions at Thimpu
8-May-15: Thimpu-Punakha- Wangdue Phodrang- Gantey- Trongsa (if possible)-Jakar (120Kms or 194 Kms or 220 Kms)
9-May-15: Gantey-Jakar (140 Kms)
10-May-15: Jakar
11-May-15: Jakar-Mongar- Trashigang (if possible) (170 Kms or 240 Kms)
12-May-15: Mongar- Trashigang (70 Kms)
13-May-15: Trashigang- Samdrup Jhongkhar (180 Kms)
13-May-15: Samdrup Jhongkhar- Guwahati (100 Kms)
14-May-15: Guwahati- Goalpara-Cooch Bihar- Dhupguri-Jalpaiguri- Siliguri (460 Kms)
15-May-15: Siliguri-Dalkhola-Purnea-Bhagalpur-Dumka-Siuri-Bolpur-Burdwan(550 Kms)
16-May-15: Burdwan-Kolkata-Kharagpur-Cuttack-Bhubhaneswar-Vizag (950 Kms)
17-May-15: Vizag-Vijaywada-Hyderabad (650 Kms)

Would want to drive mostly during the day only. Early starts on the longer legs (4-5am) to minimize driving after dark.

Queries:

1. Any major problems in plan? Something I have not considered thus far?
2. Extended destinations within Bhutan possible on 8-May and 11-May?
3. On 13-May, plan is to drive from Trashigang till Guwahati. Is this feasible? If no, suggestions for a logical stop?
4. Need suggestions for stay at the different night halts. Comfortable, reasonable, with safe parking and good for a family stay.

Open to exit at Gelephu as well, if it makes for a more relaxed vacation. Please let the suggestions pour in.
Expect the rains as you end your trip.

Comments on your route plan:
- I would take the Barhaman-Durgapur-Asansol-Jamtara-Dumka route
- I would push as hard as possible on Day 2 and try to reach at least Asansol, and maybe target even Bhagalpur
- I would reach Phuntsoling on Day 3 so that I could get my permits processed early morning. Alternatively, I would try to reach Birpara at least
- Bear in mind that the road from Siliguri to Phuntsoling passes through WLS and does have some wildlife crossing possibilities
- Adjust your schedules for earlier sun rise & earlier sun set in East India
- Day 8 would be best till Trongsa since you are planning Gangtey
- I think 1 full day in Jakar is an over-kill. I would move on
- Samdrup JHonkar has basic facilities, I would go beyond
- Instead of going to Guwahati, I would turn off at Rangiya & take the EW Corridor route via Nalbari, Bongaigaon, Barobisha, Alipurduar to Birpara & Siliguri. LOts of 4-laning is now complete, decent roads, but if it rains, there could be slushy sections in places where there are diversions due to bridge construction.

Trashigang-Guwahati is easy.

If you are a couple, please carry your wedding certificate along since hotels in WB insist on documentation
Old 27th March 2015, 12:11   #69
BHPian

Thanks HVK.

What are the advantages of the Asansol route vis-vis the Gushkara-Bolpur route? Do Dumka and Bhagalpur have decent places for a night halt?

Similarly, do Birpara and Rangiya have decent places to stay the night?

Another question is whether I would need permit for Haa Valley separately from Thimpu? In that case i would need to tweak the plan to account for that or skip Haa.
Old 27th March 2015, 21:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Expect the rains as you end your trip.

Comments on your route plan:
- I would take the Barhaman-Durgapur-Asansol-Jamtara-Dumka route
KGP - Ranigunj is quite doable now.

Quote:

Instead of Birpara, the standard resting place there is the tourist lodge at Madarihat.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 21:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
KGP - Ranigunj is quite doable now.
Yes, I am aware that the road condition is good, but for someone coming from outside Bengal, it s better to stick to the 4-laned well-marked roads with bypasses
Old 27th March 2015, 22:14   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do Dumka and Bhagalpur have decent places for a night halt?
Dumka should have a hotel or two. Bhagalpur has few. One is the Vaibhav Inn, after you cross the Bhagalpur town & the bridge over Ganga (Vikramsila Setu) Good thing being, it is bang on the highway, so no time lost getting inside the city & then getting out of one.

Plenty of stay options inside Bhagalpur as well.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 08:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK.

What are the advantages of the Asansol route vis-vis the Gushkara-Bolpur route? Do Dumka and Bhagalpur have decent places for a night halt?

Another question is whether I would need permit for Haa Valley separately from Thimpu? In that case i would need to tweak the plan to account for that or skip Haa.
For someone from outside the region, I fund the signages to turn off into both roads bad.

I preferred the Asansol route since I had more of 4-laned road and less of Bengal's 2-laned roads (to avid congestion).

Birpara has some lodges. But Ragiya has none. If you choose to take the EW Corridor route from Rangiya, then you could find places to stay at Nalbari, Bongaigaon & Barobisha.

Haa Valley requires separate permit that is issued out of Thimphu. So if you are planning to go first to Paro from Phuntsoling, it will not be feasible.
Old 28th March 2015, 18:18   #74
BHPian

Thanks Sutripta, Sheel and HVK.

@Sutripta, thanks for the Madarihat tip. Will stretch till there on Day 3 for sure if i cannot make Phuntsholing. Will the border remain open on Sunday to cross into Bhutan side? The offices will be closed, but will we be able to stay the night at Phuntsholing on Sunday if we reach before 10 pm?

@Sheel, had read about Vaibhav Inn on the other thread. Bhagalpur seems to be too long of a stretch for Day 2 though.

@HVK, thanks. Let me tweak my plan including the new information. With your Bhutan experience, did you do the Lhuentse Valley or the Trashiyangtse circuits towards the east of Bhutan? If yes, since they are off the main highway, how is the road quality? Similar to what we would find toward Gantey/ Phobijika or worse?
Old 28th March 2015, 20:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sutripta, Sheel and HVK.

@Sutripta, thanks for the Madarihat tip. Will stretch till there on Day 3 for sure if i cannot make Phuntsholing. Will the border remain open on Sunday to cross into Bhutan side? The offices will be closed, but will we be able to stay the night at Phuntsholing on Sunday if we reach before 10 pm?

@Sheel, had read about Vaibhav Inn on the other thread. Bhagalpur seems to be too long of a stretch for Day 2 though.

@HVK, thanks. Let me tweak my plan including the new information. With your Bhutan experience, did you do the Lhuentse Valley or the Trashiyangtse circuits towards the east of Bhutan? If yes, since they are off the main highway, how is the road quality? Similar to what we would find toward Gantey/ Phobijika or worse?

Yes, you can stay in Phuntsoling if you reach before 10 pm any day.

Roads to Lhuentse & Gangtey are good.
I have not heard of any one doing Trashiyangtse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks