Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2010, 14:28   #1

Kharagpur to Bangalore- Oct'10

I am planning a trip in the 2nd week of October'10 to Bangalore from Kharagpur via Bhubaneswar, Vizag,Chennai.

It would be a great help if I could have some information on the current condition of the roads. Also I am a bit concerned about the Maoist situation in AP, any input would be highly appreciated.

I will be travelling with my wife and two kids and my ride is a Hyundai Tucson CRDI.

Cheers

pghose
Old 25th September 2010, 15:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghose View Post
...to Bangalore from Kharagpur via Bhubaneswar, Vizag,Chennai.

It would be a great help if I could have some information on the current condition of the roads. Also I am a bit concerned about the Maoist situation in AP, any input would be highly appreciated.
Suggest you turn off right from NH5 at Nayudupeta, towards Tirupati, and then on via NH205 & NH4 to Bangalore. You save about 150 km this way rather than via Chennai.

Road condition should not be bad (it was very good in June this year when we travelled the reverse way, but may have deteriorated somewhat after the monsoons), except the NH5 through Orissa, and more specifically, about 30-40 km at the OR-AP border, from Ganjam to Ichchhapuram, where it borders on the terrible - single lane old highway, trucks stuck at places, level crossings (at least two that I remember) with long jams if they are closed, and bad surfacing (which should not be a big issue with the Tucson, though a low-slung car might have some trouble).

Maoist activity is practically nil AFAIK on NH5 or anywhere else on the whole route, except near and around Kharagpur itself, that too on NH6 heading towards Boharagora. But then you would be using NH60. Never heard of any Maoist attacks etc. targetting vehicles on NH60/NH5 as such.

Edit: In any case, even the Maoists would be celebrating Durga Pujo with the rest of the population of Eastern India!!! They wouldn't be active then.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 25th September 2010 at 16:01.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes, agree with SS-Traveller. No Maoist problem anywhere en route.
Except for some stretches in Orissa, roads are fantastic and fast.
I don;t know how fast you drive, but reaching Bangalore at the end of Day 2 is not difficult.
In case you are pacing it more slowly, then you could stay the first night at, say, Srikakulam, or best Vizag, and the next day you could be in Nellore or Tirupati.
Old 25th September 2010, 17:30   #4

Thank you SS-Traveller and hvkumar for the update.
I think I will take your advice and follow the Nayudupeta,Tirupati route.

I intend making an early start and try and make our first night halt at Vizag and arrive at Bangalore the second day.

I normally drive quite fast, in my last road trip to Uttaranchal, I had my first night halt at Allahabad, arriving there around 6pm, about 10 hours driving time. The road condition at that time was excellent.
If I get similar road conditions, I should be able to make Bangalore by the end of the second day.
Old 15th March 2011, 23:08   #5
BHPian

Planning a Kolkata - Vizag - Araku - Kolkata trip next weekend

Hi all,

I am planning to do a Kolkata - Vizag - Araku - (Vizag) - Kolkata trip next weekend (including a few days after that) with my Cruze automatic. It will be just me and my wife traveling, both of us like long drives. I am planning to do the Kolkata - Vizag in one day, both onward and return.

Exactly two years ago we did Kolkata - Puri with a less powerful car (Getz 1.3) in half a day. We left Kolkata at 6 AM and reached Bhubaneswar by 1 PM even with a few breaks. Out of about 450kms, about 100kms were not the two-by-two lane highway in Orissa, still we made it in 7 hours. Vizag is about 400-450kms more, so I am hoping Vizag in one day will not be a very stupid plan.

However, when I am asking Google maps for direction, it is avoiding NH60 from Kharagpur to Baleswar and also doing a d-tour via NH224 and NH217 from Bhubaneswar to Berhampur, instead of taking the NH5. If that's the only way (NH60 used to be fantastic before), it could make life difficult. From your posts below I get a feeling that NH60 is still good, but what about Bhubaneswar to Berhampur?

Any suggestions would be great.

Best regards,
Deb
Old 16th March 2011, 09:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kharagpur to Bangalore- Oct'10

Forget Gogle Maps, the route you have to take is still the same, NH60 from Kharagpur bypass to Baleswar (Balasore) and then NH5 from thereon. NH60 is in fantastic condition, and except for perpetual traffic jams at the WB-OR check post, you should have a fantastic drive. Although some sections of the road are still incomplete, road conditions are good and even in the incomplete sections after Bhalugaon to AP border via Berhampur, you should be able to maintain fast speeds.

With an early morning start (say, 5-6 am), you should be able to have lunch at Bhubaneswar and reach Vizag for dinner. If you see traffic piling up before Jaleswar at the WB-OR border, note to go on the wrong side of the road, or if that is also bad, there is a parallel 2-lane road that goes into Jaleswar town.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Planning a Kolkata - Vizag - Araku - Kolkata trip next weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
I am planning to do a Kolkata - Vizag - Araku - (Vizag) - Kolkata trip...
Check out this travelogue, and this one. Also, my own drive from Vizag to Kolkata. The stretch is good in most parts, bad in some, and the traffic is a little unpredictable, which may lead you to lose time. Account for a maximum time of 14 hours between cities, but with the Cruze, driving hard, it's doable in less than 10 hours too - if you don't get held up at any of the bottlenecks that are present on the route. And as HVK said, forget Google maps!
Old 16th March 2011, 15:14   #8
BHPian

Thanks a lot dear SS and HVKumar. I read more of your posts too and the uncertainties are gone now. I am really looking forward to the trip, and will try to post photos as well as my road experience when I come back.

It is a pleasure driving the Cruze automatic, as on a good road 140-150kmph seems like a very normal speed, so I am hoping unless there is a lot of traffic I may be able to reach Vizag by sunset, starting at about 5:30 AM from Kolkata.
Old 16th March 2011, 20:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
With an early morning start (say, 5-6 am), you should be able to have lunch at Bhubaneswar and reach Vizag for dinner. If you see traffic piling up before Jaleswar at the WB-OR border, note to go on the wrong side of the road, or if that is also bad, there is a parallel 2 lane road that goes into Jaleswar town.
Dear Mr. Kumar,
I followed your earlier suggestion to take a slight detour through Jaleswar town in my journey from Calcutta to Puri on 12th of this month. Rather than continuing through the other side of the divider and driving through the right hand side of the road, a five or six KM detour by that parallel road eliminated the long line of the trucks. There are also culverts and roads where you may get down from the highway and cross into the other side from below. I also took the same road yesterday, while returning back. The roads are good but after Balasore some stretch is yet to be made doubled, although work is going on.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks