Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 04:53   #1
BHPian

Advice needed on buying a Skoda VRS

Hi Team,

Im again here to seek your help in buying a "pre worshipped" Skoda VRS that i just came across today. Though i've been on a lookout for a Decent Sedan for a while now and options were a Chevy Optra 1.8 LT,Hyundai Elantra Crdi or a Mitsubishi Cedia Sport ,but had to get into "quick mode "as we had sold our 2001 Mitsubishi Lancer (which was mostly used by my younger brother) recently. We were looking all over for a clean and fair buy, but after owning and driving a Lancer for about 5 odd years it's a little difficult to settle for anything lesser.

While searching for options ,a couple of days ago i received a call from a used dealer dealer informing me that he has just got a June 2005 Red Skoda Octavia VRS,Done 49000 Kms ,With complete Service Records and no Accidental history ,rather as per him the car has never ever been repaitned/touched up except for a rear bumper which was replaced from an authorised Skoda A.S.S (if my memory serves me right it was Silvertone motors) after someone banged the car from behind, and the same was paid by the owner in full as he didnt wanted to claim insurance on that and lose the NCB on insurance.The major service that includes timing belt change etc. also has been done. The tyres were recently replaced and the car has run about 3-4k since the change,To Top it all it was always chauffer driven and owned by a School principal/Owner of a very renowned Play School Chain in delhi(on papers the cars is on the School's name itself).I told the dealer that i will think and would let hiim know if was interested in that car ,as i was against going in for a Skoda after reading horror stories of the members here.
However ,that whole night i kept thinking about that car ,and started going throught almost all the VRS owner expericences threads on the forum, that gave me a ray of hope but at the same time i knew that the risks were always there with a skoda and after owning a City and a Lancer i actually wanted something on the same lines i.e a car with low maintenence costs and high on power and driving comfort.
But then I thought that wether buying or not i should atleast go and have a look and see if that car was really in that immaculate condition and if it really was then ..... We'll See what to do further(but deep inside i knew that if it really was in a good shape i was gonna get her home) ....

So wednesday morning i Called up the dealer and said that i wanted to see the Car today .......
(will post what happenned after that in my next post)

But for now i would need your inputs on wether i should go for this or Not and what should be a fair price for this Car, also would the maintenance for the VRS be too heavy on the pocket.

Thanking you all for your valueable inputs (in advance)

@mods sorry for the long post,however was a little difficult to sum up my dilemma/experience in a few lines.Kindly move it to the right section if i've posted in the wrong Section.

Last edited by sucka : 20th May 2010 at 04:56.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

The VRS is one good driving car and 5 years is really not bad.

The price would be one deciding factor and the condition of the car. Have a look first and post a photo here and I am sure a lot of people can then give their valuabe comments and advise.

Why not look for a Cedia ? I know they are tough to come by BUT having owned a Mitsubishi I am sure you'd love to own a Cedia.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

You could go to any skoda dealer with VIN no check out the history.

1: Check clutch condition - any noises when pressing clutch, gears easy to select. Reverse car up slope or drive car at low speeds, high gear. Any chuffing noises means flywheel also going. At 45k, you might as well change clutch and flywheel - budget 45000 rs for this

2: Check climate control - whether heater works or not

3: Timing belt - was waterpump also replaced - This is a fragile element due to plastic impellor - Rs 10 k

4: Brake disk condition - almost time for new ones

maintenance is not cheap - but i recommend oil change every 7500km and also service for peace of mind although you can stretch to 10000km.
skoda parts not so expensive outside dealer -find a good independent person also for purely mech parts but you need dealer for engine stuff.

Price is higher but the combo of safety, strength, stability, performance cannot be found elsewhere until you talk BMW etc.

Milege - 7.5 with ac on - stop start traffic. 12 on high speed 120km/h runs, 14 on smooth runs at 60-80km/h. It hates stop start traffic due to having to overcome its mass.

check out my ownership report
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
1: At 45k, you might as well change clutch and flywheel - budget 45000 rs for this

3: Timing belt - was waterpump also replaced - This is a fragile element due to plastic impellor - Rs 10 k
Hmm... I thougt my Mondeo is expensive to maintain until I read this. I am surprised Skoda produced performance cars with timing belts. Hope atleast the newer ones come with a chain instead of belt.

Last edited by novice : 23rd May 2010 at 17:55.
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Actually, when you look at it, the Mondeo is not a bad machine. How mnay do you do hear breaking down. Only the rear subframe issue is the main area plus some dodgy electrics. It was poor dealer support that did not make the car go further. At least Skoda get the parts within a reasonable timeframe.
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:25   #6
BHPian

Re: Advice needed on buying a Skoda VRS

Hi

I am an ardent skoda octavia vrs lover and I am looking at a 2006 vrs with 65k on the clock. The owner seems a good, genuine guy and the car seems well cared for.

Is it worth the risk to buy a vrs right now, given that it has been out of production for 6 years ? Is ti easy to find parts and replacements easily in a city like Chennai ?

I love the car but am quite worried about the tail risk of lumpy bills and the car becoming a "white elephant"

Can someone help ?
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varadha_r View Post
Hi

I am an ardent skoda octavia vrs lover and I am looking at a 2006 vrs with 65k on the clock. The owner seems a good, genuine guy and the car seems well cared for.

Is it worth the risk to buy a vrs right now, given that it has been out of production for 6 years ? Is ti easy to find parts and replacements easily in a city like Chennai ?

I love the car but am quite worried about the tail risk of lumpy bills and the car becoming a "white elephant"

Can someone help ?

Hello -

I own a VRS - 2005 Make at has 81K on the ODO, the car is always fun to drive and never fails to bring a smile on my face.

With regards to parts, I have not had issues in getting them in Delhi/Gurgaon, the car can be expensive on the maintenance side, if you are going to compare to the japs then you will find it expensive.

With 65K on the clock - will recommend you check the following.

1. Timing Belt and Water Pump - Essential - if this is not done budget about 30K

2. Essentially the clutch has either been replaced or is in its last legs - Clutch + Flywheel + release bearing will cost you ~35K in a indenpendent garage - Skoda Auth workshop will be more expensive.

3. Check if the AC and heating are working well.

4. Check the Sunroof opening and closing is fine. Squaking noises are a not a cause of worry but will need cleaning.

5. Rubber parts are prone to fail - check the condition - should be avaialble in an independent garage.

6. Central Locking - Can behave intermittently in monsoons - is a known issue, and tends to go away on its own - atleast in my case.

Before take the plunge it is not a bad idea to invest money in getting an independent garage's opinion on the condition of the car.

Good Luck.

Best - ML
Old 23rd June 2014, 20:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
6. Central Locking - Can behave intermittently in monsoons - is a known issue, and tends to go away on its own - atleast in my case.

Before take the plunge it is not a bad idea to invest money in getting an independent garage's opinion on the condition of the car.

Good Luck.

Best - ML
Spray WD40 around the ECU sitting in the Driver door pad.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 20:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
With regards to parts, I have not had issues in getting them in Delhi/Gurgaon,
Are you talking about getting parts from authorised Skoda dealer or outside the dealer? Is there any reliable source in India where genuine VAG parts are available at reasonable price, preferentially with online deal option?
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Are you talking about getting parts from authorised Skoda dealer or outside the dealer? Is there any reliable source in India where genuine VAG parts are available at reasonable price, preferentially with online deal option?

No I am talking about a Bosch dealer and what I have experience is that they are able procure for most cars, I have seen cars mercs, bmw's and audis also. I would expect them to be able to stock for VAG.

Thanks

ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 14:55   #11
BHPian

Coincidentally, I have a '06 Octavia mk1 vRS that is reaching 65K clicks and I must admit having a blast ;-) Just curious, what is the seller quoting?

Now with my new job, the company car lease is tempting me to change... But, after a couple of test drives, nothing comes close to the Octavia mk1 vRS - pity, there isn't a single car below 20L that can match this car for car!

On a serious note, I might have to stretch beyond 30L, phew!

As far as parts, most of the regular/accident parts are stocked (as the diesel sold volumes) at the local dealer or ordered and procured within a wk and can be bought over the counter! But for a 5 yr old German, it is better to go to a dependable private garage (mostly run by the Dubai return mechanics) - so as a first step identify one!
Old 24th June 2014, 17:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Coincidentally, I have a '06 Octavia mk1 vRS that is reaching 65K clicks and I must admit having a blast ;-) Just curious, what is the seller quoting?

Now with my new job, the company car lease is tempting me to change... But, after a couple of test drives, nothing comes close to the Octavia mk1 vRS - pity, there isn't a single car below 20L that can match this car for car!
I can completely relate with the problem, once you start liking an Octy, there is really nothing that pleases you. That said - Think about getting yourself the manual version of the TSI - you may have to go the user route not sure if you would like to consider that, I drove that a while back, and it has changed my perspective. A lot more free revving, i will admit i drove a remapped avatar of the car.

Good Hunting.

ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 15:06   #13
BHPian

Buying pre-owned would be a no brainer, but company car lease available for new ones only

Quote:
I can completely relate with the problem, once you start liking an Octy, there is really nothing that pleases you. That said - Think about getting yourself the manual version of the TSI - you may have to go the user route not sure if you would like to consider that, I drove that a while back, and it has changed my perspective. A lot more free revving, i will admit i drove a remapped avatar of the car.

Good Hunting.

ML
Old 25th September 2014, 10:18   #14

Skoda 2005 vRS - My Dream Car

Hi All,

I had a look at a Skoda 2005 vRS, done 76000kms here in Chennai yesterday.
The vehicle is in good condition except for some dents in the body (one near front left fender and another near back right door). The interior roof lining is hanging down and has to be fixed. Apart from this, the car has to be given for an oil service once purchased and also some coolant/compressor coil has to be changed for the AC (as mentioned by the current owner)

When driving the car, i felt the power of the vRS! The engine is good, clutch has been changed 10k kms before along with the brake pads.

Can someone please guide me as to what would be the best buy price?

Moderator's Note: Please ensure that you post in the right sections. Please read the announcements section as it has multiple useful threads. Familiarize yourself with the different sections on this board before you make your next post. We also appreciate people searching for an existing, open thread and posting in those rather than opening threads on the same topics over and over.

We have moved your post into a matching thread in the appropriate section for this once.

Last edited by Zappo : 25th September 2014 at 12:26. Reason: Post moved from the Technical Stuff section
Old 25th September 2014, 18:55   #15
Team-BHP Support

I am not very sure whether buying such an old Skoda really makes sense! The maintenance costs may come out too high. We have several resident Skoda experts though who can shed some more light on this...
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks