Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 02:29   #2626
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Thats a super cute baby squirrel. Hope you not planning to keep it in the cage for long? I'v heard the opposite - that they do stick around and return once kept as pets. We have several squirrels, but can't call them as "pets". They come for food and just observing them can make your day... Some of them become friendly enough to take nuts from your hand.
Old 7th April 2012, 06:19   #2627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
W.A.G.7 : I think squirrels make good pets (have read somewhere),
Raccoon : Hope you not planning to keep it in the cage for long? I'v heard the opposite - that they do stick around and return once kept as pets.
A friend recently narrated about her pet squirrel. Her dog spotted it, stuck in slush after rain. She got it home & tended to it. The squirrel did roam free around the house, and used to come when called by it's name. And .. it used to sleep on her bed !
Old 9th April 2012, 15:21   #2628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Wow! First time I am seeing a pet squirrel. Nice to see that you are taking care of it.
Thanks... But there really was no choice, if my wife hadn't intervened, the little guy would've been the cat's lunch !

Quote:
Also, keep a watch on your house cat too, lest he gets the same idea again !
Yes, the house cat's quite a hunter, which is why this weekend I drove the little guy from CBE to Chennai.

Quote:
Does he go out in the open? Or is he still indoors? I think you should let him out once a while to let him get acquainted with his surroundings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Hope you not planning to keep it in the cage for long ?
The cage is for protection when the cat's around. When the cat is on its "rounds", the squirrel is let out of the cage. We've placed a small earthenware pot inside the cage with some bedding, which the squirrel has learnt to use as a sanctuary. When outside the cage, he's quite the explorer, of particular interest are items that are of a vertical orientation ! Almost all moves are calculated, there's no "headless chicken" routine, & no matter how far he gets away from the cage, he always returns to it periodically - as if to check if his pot is still there !

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
One of the auto accessory dealer I visit has a pet squirrel. She moves around the shop, all over his body and even enters his pant pocket and stays there for some time before resurfacing.
Yes, it quite easily clings on to your shoulder, & hangs on gamely even as you go about your chores. And it prefers soft, enclosed spaces, like pockets !

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The way they lick their hands after they eat bananas is pretty amusing .
Yes, it's quite amusing to see the little thing trying to keep its chin clean after it eats anything wet or moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I heard from a couple of people who raised baby squirrels that, in the end, their instinct took them to the outside world and they left.
We wouldn't mind this, although the first time we tried to introduce the squirrel to "mother nature", he wasn't very appreciative of her !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well done for caring for that little person while he needs a "parent"
Thanks...

Quote:
I'v heard the opposite - that they do stick around and return once kept as pets.
We wouldn't mind this either, we've grown to love the little guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
She got it home & tended to it. The squirrel did roam free around the house, and used to come when called by it's name.
Can I ask what your friend fed the squirrel ? We're currently feeding him a puppy milk replacer with cream - up to 2 cc, every 3 to 4 hours. There's some resistance when we start feeding him with the ink filler, but once he gets going, he quickly finishes off half a cc or so, then he stops & needs to be cajoled & co-erced to start again. Which is why we're worried if we're doing the right thing ! That said, we weighed him yesterday - he tipped the scales at 62 grams, meaning he's almost doubled in weight over the past 3 weeks.
Old 9th April 2012, 23:33   #2629
BHPian

"A Dog is the only thing on Earth that loves you more than he loves himself ".

For all those who dont know , my family has been mad for dogs ever since eternity .

Unfortunately early this year one of my two Labradors " Lara" passed away , The doctor said it was of a sudden Heart Attack but whatever the reason the pain of a loved one leaving you is enough to shake your heart and soul.

If this was the effect on us , imagine the effect on Her son " Victor " who used to sleep on her shoulder ever since 2008 . He was literally shaken . For almost a month he gave up food , gave up his love for tennis balls , lost weight . It was apparent that something was needed to be done .

Enter " MILEY" .

My father has spent some years of his childhood in the hills , and on a recent visit to our ancestral place , his love for BHOTIA ( Sheep Dog ) all of a sudden rekindled . He contacted a guy situated near Kidarnath who deals specifically in Bhotias and he came back with a 2 month old puppy .

Puppy she might be but boy is she Naughty . There is not a single thing left in the house that she has not put her teeth on . Forget the slippers and the shoes and the carpets and the mats ,Miley has left her mark on everything .

For miley , Victor is a big moving toy .So when ever she feels bored she goes and starts biting victor on his ears , nose , forehead , legs , knee ,paws , tail and the list goes on . And poor victor, he has to give into miley all the time , she is a " puppy " after all . But behind all her mischief and naughtiness , Victor has healed . His love for tennis balls is back , he is back on his proper meal schedule which means having a snack every half and hour and moreover, i dont think i would make sense to a lot of people, but he is 'HAPPY' once again .

Here are some pics of Miley doing her usual thing she looks a bit shabby as she had just taken a nice dust bath.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img2012030800703-new.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img2012030800696-new.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img2012030800701-new.jpg
Old 10th April 2012, 00:57   #2630
BHPian

Re: Look what the cat dragged in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Look what the cat dragged in !
This brings back memories. When i was 8 years old i had a pet squirrel. During the summer vacation in my grandmothers house one day i noticed the house cat enter the house with something in its mouth. This cat had the habit of catching snakes and would bring them half dead into the house so i went closer to have a look and realized its a baby squirrel and immediately chased the cat and made it drop the squirrel. I nursed it back to good health and used to feed it milk. It look a liking for me and used to go around with me sitting on my shoulder and if it was alarmed it would dive into my shirt pocket. Me and my squirrel were the envy of the neighboring kids and even some adults The house cat never forgave me i guess for stealing its meal and it always had its eye on the temporary cage in which the squirrel was kept. One fine day as i opened the cage the squirrel darted out and the cat which was lying in the corner of the room grabbed it and ran out of the house, I chased it all around the house and the garden and made it drop the squirrel but alas it was too late for the squirrel was dead. I bid a tearful goodbye to my dear pet and buried it in the garden.
Old 11th April 2012, 00:06   #2631
BHPian

Couldn't have said better!!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dog.jpg

10 Things Your Dog Would Tell You..

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful: remember that before you get me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me- it is crucial to my well being.

4. Do not be angry at me for long, and do not lock me up as punishment.

5. You have your work, your entertainment,and your friends. I only have you.

6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it is speaking to me.

7. Be aware that how ever you treat me, I will never forget you.

8. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily hurt you, but I choose not to bite you because I love you.

9. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I might not be getting the right food, or I have been out too long, or my heart is getting too old and weak.

10. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say: "I cannot bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there, even my death.

Remember that I love you ♡

Dedicated to all those who lost their dogs in the walk of life
Old 11th April 2012, 00:16   #2632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego

10 Things Yo------------------------------------------ who lost their dogs in the walk of life
And the best part is, even if you forget some of the above, no one can ever be so happy to see you, every time, ever.
Old 11th April 2012, 18:14   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post

10 Things Your Dog Would Tell You..
I suggest everyone to read the book 'The art of racing in the rain' by Garth Stein. One of the best books I have ever read - for the subject alone. It deals with the last days of a sentient dog and his flashback on life.

Amazon.com: The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel (9780061537967): Garth Stein: Books
Old 14th April 2012, 20:24   #2634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Can I ask what your friend fed the squirrel ?
Checked, and feedback is she too had started with the filler like you did, but also used ragi initially, before moving to other grains & Nuts. Reduced liquid form with time.

I dont think this is much for you to go with. If your squirrel is not taking from the filler as before, may be it is time to start on solids ?

One point is - the teeth are very sharp, and will curve inward. So if it bites, it may not be able to release it's teeth easily. She experienced it only once, though. Else never a problem.

Suggest you check on natural food of squirrels and start feeding it that.
Old 15th April 2012, 01:12   #2635
Senior - BHPian

^^^Can squirrels bite hard enough to cause damage? I'v been nipped more than twice while feeding them peanuts. But it just felt like needles pricking only uptill the point that they don't penetrate. Either they cant bite harder or they choose not to bite... dunno which.
Old 15th April 2012, 11:48   #2636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^Can squirrels bite hard enough to cause damage? I'v been nipped more than twice while feeding them peanuts. But it just felt like needles pricking only uptill the point that they don't penetrate. Either they cant bite harder or they choose not to bite... dunno which.
Squirrels eat a lot of nuts, hence have to have sharp teeth with a very hard bite. In your case the squirrel while picking the nuts from your hand was careful not to injure you. What you felt was a slip. Normally the teeth will not even touch you.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:30   #2637
Distinguished - BHPian

Kittens for Adoption - Chennai

5 beautiful healthy kittens available for free adoption to good homes, genuine animals lovers only. The kittens were born on 6th March 2012 to our healthy housecat. The 3 brown kittens are male, and the white and grey kittens are female. They have started to eat solid cat food and they are now drinking cows milk. Please call 9841061180 for more details.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_1.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_2.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image.jpeg  

Old 16th April 2012, 22:13   #2638
BHPian

Not mine.A friend shared on Facebook.But loved it and hence sharing here

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whereisthemouse.jpg
Old 16th April 2012, 23:32   #2639
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

came across this thread and thought of sharing some pics of my Labrador Golden Retriever - Glutton (in short "Glu"). He recently suffered from a severe intestinal infection and wanted to lie all day long on the cold floor; would have let him out of sympathy but the Vet strictly advised against it. Fortunately, he is back to normal now and is in his usual gluttonous and romping self.

Glutton when he came to us (after a little feeding ).

Team-BHPians and their Pets-initially.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-initially-1.jpg

During his sickness

Team-BHPians and their Pets-during-sickness.jpg

After recovery.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-after-recovery.jpg

Keep posting guys.

Regards,
SJD.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th April 2012 at 16:08. Reason: editing the quoted text part and deleting all conversations.
Old 17th April 2012, 03:01   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Squirrels eat a lot of nuts, hence have to have sharp teeth with a very hard bite. In your case the squirrel while picking the nuts from your hand was careful not to injure you. What you felt was a slip. Normally the teeth will not even touch you.
Hmm... seems like they are being gentle with me. Been nipped 3 - 4 times at least. But never caused any damage. I wonder how hard they can bite if they choose to bite real hard...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks