Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Dengue / Malaria : Tips & Advice

Mods: Couldn't find a similar thread so posting here, if there exists another please move. Thanks.

Disclaimer - Before reading please note that I am no doctor and just sharing my experience, please do rush to your nearest doctor and follow exact steps as given by them. The home remedies I will write about may not work on every one so please do take care. Also account for factors such as Allergies and pre existing conditions before following any home remedies.

Delhi and the NCR region is going through a Dengue/Malaria and Viral epidemic at the moment. Not two weeks ago my mother was diagnosed of both Dengue and Malaria, it was a tough ordeal and while she was just recovering last night my father was diagnosed of the same.

This disease can happen to anyone, I know that we maintain the strictest standards of hygiene at home but a mosquito is such an organism it can creep in from anywhere. I will attempt in this thread all the home remedies one can give patients suffering, as we did not have too much idea with my mother but now with my father, we are more prepared.

Symptoms - Sudden fever and this can touch 104 or more with excruciating body aches especially in the legs and back. Head aches and pain behind the eye are also present.

Some people may also get a rash on the back.

Now and I can't stress this enough anyone you know who gets even a few symptoms from the above absolutely rush to your nearest doctor. People in DLF/Sushant Lok, I can recommend Jeevan Clinic in Super Mart- 2, Dr taneja is good, he treated my mum. If you feel Hospital then try Max Hospital ask for Dr. Prabhat K Jha or Dr. Dang in internal medicine. Actually any hospital or clinic will do but do get to one at the earliest.

They usually give Crocin or any paracetamol based medicine for fever and for pains all of them gave Meftlal(spelling not sure) or Meftlal Forte for pains. Meftlal forte is a mixture of Paracetamol and pain killer, whereas Meftlal is just pain killer and is to be taken with crocin or such, again please consult doctor.

Now dengue has no cure for Malaria my mother was given Intravenous injection of Falcigo by Zydus cadilla for three days in a saline drip and Malaria was cured.

The problem with dengue is the constant dropping of Blood platelets and this can turn into a bad situation if they fall below 30,000.

Another caution, immediately STOP all fatty foods and stuff like Coke, Alcohol and such, also normal home made food can also be rich for the patient so do take extreme care in what is give to the patient to eat as this only will increase the platelets and remember fatty foods and fried stuff decreases platelets.

Now home remedies, first and foremost Hydration and this is the most important of any viral infections, keep on giving the patient water, do avoid soft drinks and boxed juices, a word of caution except for Real Activ and Tropicana 100% all brands even Real and Tropicana do not sell juices they are technically juice drinks in which they add some concentrate and Sugar and water. Please if you can avoid these products do so, as not only are they expensive they also have no real health benefit.

So water, freshly squeezed Mosambi juice mixed with Pomegranate(this is wonderful for the blood) should be give at least two times a day. Ok Nariyal Pani or tender coconut water is also a great thing it has some easily digestible fatty acids and gives good energy, do give at least one a day.
Soups - At least two times a day.

How to make soup, take a pressure cooker and add the following vegetables:-
2 Tomato's normally diced- Tomato has lycopene which is really good for increasing platelets.
1 Carrot diced- Again increases platelets.
Half a capsicum
4 or 5 french beans
100 gm of bottle gourd or ghiya, skinned and diced.
Some leaves of spinach(palak) or Raddish(mooli)
1 Raddish - skinned and diced.

Throw in the above and two to three glasses of water and a pinch of salt and nothing else. Let three whistles go, then after letting out the steam, open the cooker and gently mash all the vegetables inside, then take a strainer and decant the liquid leaving behind the vegetables in the cooker. Give at least two cups of this everyday.

Apart from this a very light Khichdi should be given and very light yellow dal with perhaps one chapatti can be give in the evening.

You may also give one glass of buttermilk or chach, do not buy this from market, instead just take some curd, a glass of water, a pinch of salt and blend in a mixer.

Give plenty of fruits, the good ones are Kiwi and apples, these really help. Pomegranate if they can eat is fine otherwise crush it and give in juice. Oranges and Mosambi will help in increasing Vitamin C and help combat medicine side affects.

And now the ultimate Platelet booster, Juice of raw crushed fresh Papaya leaf. You can google this it is really proven to work.

How to make, get some papaya leaves, have to be green and fresh, wah properly and then crush them in mortar and pestle (koondi danda) or you can also use a chakla and belna. One leaf will give you around 5 ml, give 10 ml for adults and 5ml for kids. Please note that this juice extract is very very bitter but please Please do not mix with water or add any sugar or salt, give as is two times a day. Recovery will be quick.

The above were the remedies, do ask me for any help on the above.

Now one last piece of Caution.

Dengue can lead to in some cases a very dangerous disease know as Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF), there are some checks for this but do not discuss these with the patients as more often than not patient gets worried and starts fixating on the symptoms.

Now you need to check the following, If there is any bleeding in the Mucous that means nose or mouth or stool is of black colour, or measles like rash, please rush to your nearest hospitals or get a second opinion immediately or get tests done in some other location.

Hoping that your loved one's have a speedy recovery and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Cheers
eq24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 14:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing. Papaya leaf juice is great tip. I second it.

Another Ayurvedic tip: follow only as recuperation and never stop the doctor's doze.

Giloy and Tulsi fresh leaves should be ingested empty stomach. These aid convalesce and gives immunity.
Ginger or Sunthi too aids recuperation.

Once healthy, you can start taking Amla, Ashwagandha as strength builder and immunity boosters.

Our ancient knowledge is great, we just forgot how to use it.

All the best!
Old 30th July 2024, 08:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dengue / Malaria : Tips & Advice

Was hit pretty bad for a few days. Aches and pains in the knee and wrist joints, fever, shivering, no appetite. Went to the hospital to see if I needed to be admitted, they didn't think it was serious enough. So am recovering at home, trying to stay hydrated, taking paracetamol and forcing myself to eat. Getting better and I guess I should be ok in a week.

Really frustrated that this has become a regular affair in Bangalore now. Like some typical third-world country. What the heck are the BBMP doing?! They have announced spot inspections of houses for stagnant water, well and good. What about the massive water stagnation at every construction site, the Metro work, and every road that gets flooded whenever it rains?! I haven't seen any spraying of neighborhoods with DDT. Was that banned? It just may be the lesser of two evils.
Old 30th July 2024, 12:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Was hit pretty bad for a few days. Aches and pains in the knee and wrist joints, fever, shivering, no appetite. Went to the hospital to see if I needed to be admitted, they didn't think it was serious enough. So am recovering at home, trying to stay hydrated, taking paracetamol and forcing myself to eat. Getting better and I guess I should be ok in a week.
Keep an eye on your platelet count. My brother was diagnosed with dengue and he too struggled with initially with the same symptoms. The doctor was pretty calm and said dengue was very common now. He advised him lots of rest , to stay positive, to stay hydrated and take painkillers if necessary. He was advised to take blood tests every two days to check his platelet count and if it dropped to 70,000 , to get admitted immediately. In his case, the lowest it dropped to was 1,20,000 before it came back up. Now after a month after first getting diagnosed, he has rejoined work and is back to normal.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 12:57   #5
BANNED

My sister too caught dengue last month, but she was fine, she initially had body aches and that was it, but when multiple cases started to show up at her workplace, we decided to test it, and lo and behold she tested positive, and it went away after a week.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 14:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Was hit pretty bad for a few days. Aches and pains in the knee and wrist joints, fever, shivering, no appetite. Went to the hospital to see if I needed to be admitted, they didn't think it was serious enough.

What the heck are the BBMP doing?!
Please get the platelet counts checked. And I recommend to have either Caripill Tablet or Caripill Syrup as this will boost platelet production effectively. Note: I am not related to this company in any way.

My tips is to avoid mosquito breeding and entering the houses:
  1. Check & remove any stagnant water surrounding your house.
  2. Do not open doors and windows for longer duration.
  3. Use mosquito nets for doors and window. Now a days we have magnetic mosquito door nets and I am using two of these. One for the rear door and one for my bedroom.
  4. Spray herbal mosquito repellents in the living room and bedrooms.
  5. Kill any mosquito that you see which have entered your house. Either use electric bats or spray 70% isopropyl alcohol directly.
Off-Topic: BBMP is now no use as there are no corporators to talk to them directly for any issues. The state government must do the BBMP elections immediately, but they are postponing it since last 4-5 years.
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 15:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I should ask in the Home construction thread, but is there any good option for front doors with mosquito nets? Due to the wind pattern, I want to keep my front door open for long durations for ventilation. Not looking for the add-on mesh doors both from aesthetic and safety POV.
Old 30th July 2024, 17:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Maybe I should ask in the Home construction thread, but is there any good option for front doors with mosquito nets? Due to the wind pattern, I want to keep my front door open for long durations for ventilation. Not looking for the add-on mesh doors both from aesthetic and safety POV.
May be you need to have a separate door with Mortise Latch on the same frame like the one below:
Dengue / Malaria : Tips & Advice-tatapraveshflymeshdoorsnestmahogany3.jpg

https://www.tatapravesh.com/product/fly-mesh-doors/

Last edited by bobbyblr : 30th July 2024 at 17:06. Reason: Added youtube link for the product
bobbyblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 18:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Try Shakti Hormann doors, they have an option of steel door with fly mesh (a bit costly) but worth.
skumare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Many thanks all for the advice. Have started on the Caripill tablets. The doctors too advised that (one of the rare instances where allopathy and the herbalists seem to agree!) The doctors also said to monitor the platelet count every couple of days and come to the hospital if it drops below 1,00,000.

Already feeling much better. Till yesterday I was forcing myself to eat. Today woke up with an appetite after 3 days. I think solid food is helping.

I think mosquito mesh and mosquito nets from our childhood are going to make a comeback. We were very careful, keeping all doors and windows closed after 4:30 pm everyday. But still managed to get bitten and infected.

Still really upset about the state of things in my beloved city. There seemed to be a lot of patients at the hospital suffering from the same symptoms. How can such a rich city be swept with such easily preventable diseases every rainy season? Isn't that the basic function of a city corporation, before planning fancy international airports keep the place clean so your citizens don't get sick?!

Last edited by am1m : 31st July 2024 at 10:08.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 13:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy to report that after dropping, platelet count has gone up dramatically. A week after the first onset of fever, am finally beginning to feel like I'll soon be back to normal.

Went through all the symptoms - high fever for 3 days, rash, general fatigue, joint pain, low platelet count, pain behind the eyes, loss of appetite, swollen fingers and ankles, headaches. One by one the symptoms went away. Some are still slightly lingering, like mild swelling in the fingers.

During the worst of the fevers, was wondering if I needed to be hospitalized, but the doctors said they would not admit unless the platelet count dropped below 1,00,000. It never did.

Longest I've been sick in a long time, going to be very, very careful about mosquitos from now on.

So - get lots of rest, paracetamol, force yourself to eat and and drink lots of fluids. Don't doom scroll- the news reports the worst manifestations of dengue, but the majority of patients will recover just fine at home. The Caripill tablets seemed to help.

Last edited by am1m : 5th August 2024 at 13:28.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks