Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2008, 20:03   #1
BHPian

Job Switch Advice

Hey Guys !!
Need some advise on Job Switch

How would you rate the Mumbai center of Capgemini for SAP practise ? Is it worthwhile or better stick to my IBM B'lore job ?

What package would make for a comfortable life in Mumbai ? I am currently on 14 p.a.
Old 29th June 2008, 19:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hello! even if you move at 14, Mumbai isn't that expensive. I would certainly rate Bangalore as more expensive as I have lived in both the places. The food, and other amenities are affordable in Mumbai. However, the real estate prices have really shot up in case you want to buy a house.

PS: Considering the market is down these days, sticking to your job makes more sense than changing as you would have to face a probation of min of 6 months and in case markets collapse, you know what is happening in IT?

Otherwise, welcome to Mumbai city...The city of dreams and food!
Old 4th July 2008, 18:38   #3
BHPian

is the .00025% hike you got the reason for thinking about shifting? Market is bad too.

Thiyags
Old 10th July 2008, 13:32   #4
BHPian

Well Team Bhpians can refer other team bhpians in their IT company so that job seekers can also know about the openings in IT companies and also the referrer can get referral bonus.
How about this idea??? Hope there are lot of IT Team Bhpians here...
Old 10th July 2008, 16:08   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Besides, if you have a good job in the US, why do you want to come back to this country?
He is contemplating between Bangalore & Mumbai. Either ways, there are several reasons why someone would want to return to India, despite a good well-paying job offer in the States.

Ask me. I did it
Old 10th July 2008, 16:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Besides, if you have a good job in the US, why do you want to come back to this country?

Having a good job alone in the US does not make a person to stay there and surely there were other factors that influenced even me to return back to India and am happy staying here among friends and family
Old 10th July 2008, 16:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
another person saying the same thing. Having visited several times on medium term assignments, i dread that place

Nothing to beat India where you get everything except probably the amount of money you get to make in the US.

Btw, I think Goswami must be in US for a short term assignment and is about to return back. hence, the contemplation.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
What package would make for a comfortable life in Mumbai ? I am currently on 14 p.a.
Lets say you get a package of 17. In that case In hand would be ~1 per month.

Out of that, 30k will be spent on Rent for 2 BHK in a society that has all amenities like Gym / Garden /Security etc etc. (Assuming that you will look for a apartment within 15 min driving distance from their Vikhroli office)

For rest, cost is same as any other large city.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Lets say you get a package of 17. In that case In hand would be ~1 per month.

Out of that, 30k will be spent on Rent for 2 BHK in a society that has all amenities like Gym / Garden /Security etc etc. (Assuming that you will look for a apartment within 15 min driving distance from their Vikhroli office)

For rest, cost is same as any other large city.
Wow, 30K for rent alone. Who pays 30% of their salary on accomodation?
Firstly, i doubt for a 17Lac package you will get 1L net.

Big companies are notorious for breaking up salaries into several components which are paid out only on performance.

I heard IBM is quite infamous for being stingy, don't know about Cap Gemini.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd much rather be out of India. This country has nothing for me other than the weather and Cricket.
But you can make your country a better place.
You will definitely miss your friends and family.
Also western culture is the worst environment to live and raise children, my personal opinion.
Old 10th July 2008, 18:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

and I know many people who like to stay in US even with a lower salary (considering PPP). I guess it's got to do with political/religious/social/governance conditions that force them. everybody has a different level of tolerance for different things.

I have also seen families who talk about moving back "just because" they have a girl child, and it's not safe to raise them here. double standards!!!

Sorry goswami for hijcaking your thread again.

EDIT: @PatiensceWins, you will be surprised how cultured and well behaved kids are here (especially once they grow up), compared to our kids who call everybody uncle/aunty etc, but call them buddhha/budhiya on the back, and same on the streets to everybody else. there are both -ve and +ve points in both the places.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 10th July 2008 at 18:21.
Old 10th July 2008, 18:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wow, 30K for rent alone. Who pays 30% of their salary on accomodation?
Those who line in mumbai

30k since this area is not in Mumbai city. In city, this figure will be 1 lakh+ (for a society with all amenities).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Firstly, i doubt for a 17Lac package you will get 1L net.
That is inclusive of incentives etc. In practice, you will get 80k as net and 20k as lump sum (yearly/ quarterly).

Now some companies count insurance / low interest loan as part of package, but thats a different story.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:50   #13
BHPian

guys. where one wants to live is a personal decision. Everybody has their reasons for everything

the guy who started the thread wanted to know the cost of living and wants to negotiate his job offer based on that.

can we stick to that.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:49   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Relax guys. Everyone has their own preference. Lets not try to impose ours on anyone else. Live and let live!
Old 11th July 2008, 13:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

You actually LIKE the weather AND cricket? I am afraid there is no hope for you.

Having worked for many years in the IBM environment and the SAP environment I would take IBM any day. Just for the quality of the work place, the quality and ease of doing the job and because IBM took pretty good care of me, SAP did not. I do not know what is important to you but one thing was VERY important to me, IBM was more committed to doing the job right and providing a superior product, SAP was frenetic, build it on the fly and hope it works and make fixes later. I hate that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks