Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 17:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Star, Excellent eye opening. Now i am seeing tyhe thread going into a different direction in terms of job prosperity. Superb information
Old 9th December 2009, 18:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well 10years from now am sure their will be lots of backing for the agriculture related activity and am sure it would be the trend, not that the govt is trying to do something now but years down the line they will have to do everything..

More consumption but way too less production!
Old 9th December 2009, 19:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Exactly.
Education field is the last field that will be hit even in recession. Constant income will be there without any problems. New and new " exciting " and " high level " street side colleges are opening with speed that can give inferiority complex to a Brabus tuned E. All of them have fees that prove one point : Education is for rich. So you dont have any problems in here.

Add to that the respect. Sir, Sir and you generally dont have bad bosses there in.

Some colleges are built in plot smaller than my house and fees are high. Some houses go three floor high and there is a school or KG section running.

In any case its safe and nice.
Real estate is also very very good for money making but issue of anti social elements set in.

Teaching is a profession where there is minimum risk, max benefits. And its only in war that this field is severely affected.
Market works on demand and supply. you yourself have said that market is now flooded with colleges, same with the teachers. some of them WILL crash.

in my view, nobody is in a position to responsibly distribute manpower othr than govt. it needs to take action so no specific field is overflooded.

damn, soon i will be advocating license-raj.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:26   #34
Team-BHP Support

I live in rural area, and all around me I have been seeing less and less land being cultivated over years. The reason is simple, there are no farm labourers anymore in my area. The only people who cultivate land are land owners who can do it hands-on by themselves. If you hire (that is if you can hire) labour, your cost will be higher than the farm revenue. Because of the construction boom in the last few years, anybody who doesn't mind physical hardwork, works in construction. They can get almost 50%-100% more than what a farm labourer gets.

Farming as a career can only work if one has large tracts of land that can be cultivated using machines that can do all the necessary work of tilling, sowing, reaping, threshing & bagging.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

not if one "keeps it simple", works from a decent location and ensures top quality, cleanliness, top service-with-a-smile and yummy, reasonably priced grub for the common man.

South Indian Veg grub - high turnover, reasonable pricing, huge volumes of business - much more likely to be a success than a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Isn't opening a restaurant one of the riskiest businesses out there?
Old 10th December 2009, 10:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,
The ever green areas are civil,Mechanical and automobile engineering. In addition to that in the field of Health if you are really talented no need to worry for the Doctors,Nurses and the technicians.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Take up a profession what you are good at and that would give you maximum stability. you may also take up a profession what you like the most but may not be good at. In the second case you would have maximum job satisfaction and you would one day become really good at it. Ideal job is the job which you like and you are good at.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:05   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
not if one "keeps it simple", works from a decent location and ensures top quality, cleanliness, top service-with-a-smile and yummy, reasonably priced grub for the common man.
You are talking about the customer interface. The real trouble in restaurant business is on the inside. Again has to deal with labour. Child labour is the norm because adults don't want to be cleaners. The employee turnover is very high. A good cook is very important to retain regular customers. And it is very easy to lose a good cook to head-hunters, who may lure them away to take away your customers to competitors. One has to also have a loyal man to rule the kitchen with the iron hand, to ensure that the staff doesn't eat away half the food. O yeah, that happens a lot. You have to start early, finish late, deal with staff problems, etc., non stop whole day. It is not only risky, but a very stressful business. And no holidays, ever seen restaurants close for weekends and holidays?

Last edited by Samurai : 10th December 2009 at 11:07.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:57   #39
Team-BHP Support

The most stable business is the equestrian / horse racing business - This is in the stable!
Old 10th December 2009, 13:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I live in rural area, and all around me I have been seeing less and less land being cultivated over years. The reason is simple, there are no farm labourers anymore in my area. The only people who cultivate land are land owners who can do it hands-on by themselves. If you hire (that is if you can hire) labour, your cost will be higher than the farm revenue. Because of the construction boom in the last few years, anybody who doesn't mind physical hardwork, works in construction. They can get almost 50%-100% more than what a farm labourer gets.

Farming as a career can only work if one has large tracts of land that can be cultivated using machines that can do all the necessary work of tilling, sowing, reaping, threshing & bagging.
+100 to that. Just in case you own a piece of land try farming in it and one would know the pain associated with the hiring of laborers. Finding one is a pain and once you do, they have a gazillion conditions in place.
All this and they follow stict work timings 10am-6pm. You gotto serve them breakfast,snacks,lunch, tea with snacks and what not.We have been facing labor crisis for the last 2 years in my ancestral home and things really haven't changed yet.

So if anyone really wants to get into farming think twice.
Old 10th December 2009, 13:36   #41
BHPian

I feel that the most stable job would be with the defence right now. No job insecurities, lots of subsidies and govt aided benefits and with the recent pay commission revision the salaries are also are now very lucrative. But the only drawback is the frequent transfers. The other options are into the banking sector such as SBI, canara or insurance sectors such as LIC, United insurance etc. Jobs in private sector banks and insurance companies are as good as software jobs, too much of stress levels and insecure jobs.
Old 10th December 2009, 14:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

How come nobody has looked at being a Lawyer! IMO thats a receesion proof job. It does take 10 years to get established, but then theres no looking back. From a lawyer to a counsel to a judge, first the hard work then the money then the fame, then back to money as advisor.
Old 10th December 2009, 15:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are talking about the customer interface. The real trouble in restaurant business is on the inside. Again has to deal with labour. Child labour is the norm because adults don't want to be cleaners. The employee turnover is very high. A good cook is very important to retain regular customers. And it is very easy to lose a good cook to head-hunters, who may lure them away to take away your customers to competitors. One has to also have a loyal man to rule the kitchen with the iron hand, to ensure that the staff doesn't eat away half the food. O yeah, that happens a lot. You have to start early, finish late, deal with staff problems, etc., non stop whole day. It is not only risky, but a very stressful business. And no holidays, ever seen restaurants close for weekends and holidays?
100+, people don't realize how stressful it is to run a food joint. I ram few stores as a Area Manager and guess what its a killer. Considering we opened at-least 10am-11pm 365 days a year with weekends going to 10am-1am(after midnight).

Add to that labour cost, food cost, cleaning chemicals, gas, watter, electricity, petty theft (employees eating food) and other expenses. I saw 58 Franchisees packing up and leaving in 5yrs and which was considered the best time to be in fast food industry here in Australia.

Cheers
Old 10th December 2009, 20:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I feel that there's no stable job as such. If somethings stable - as in a government job - you compromise on salary.

All jobs are pretty much the same in the end.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Honestly, I feel that there's no stable job as such. If somethings stable - as in a government job - you compromise on salary.

All jobs are pretty much the same in the end.
I heard even the govt pays well now. It looks after you even post retirement and gives you a hefty wallet the day you retire.

if I had to opt between a call centre job at 22K or a Govt job at 15-18K, then it would be the govt job for me !

My dad put in 37 years of central govt service, now his monthly pension and other additions etc is more than what my younger brother earns in a BPO !

Last edited by vdiatech : 10th December 2009 at 22:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks