Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2005, 22:02   #1
BHPian

Power steering noise

hi Team,
for the past few days my indigo is making some kind of noise, i believe its from the power steering system.
this noise is mostly when i am turning the steering to the right, its like a screaching sound.
i am going to the service center on saturday before that any suggestions would be good.
checked the fluid level and its ok.

thanks
pankaj.t
Old 19th April 2005, 22:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

When exactly do you get this noise? If it's on the full lock right or left and you're at a very quiet place like a basement..the noise is normal. If you're in the thick of action and still get the noise above that..do exactly as you have planned.
Old 20th April 2005, 00:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I remember this...even my 2002 petrol indica had this noise especially when the steering was turned to full lock. Its like a hum...it is the power steering. I thought this problem was taken care of on the indigo...but i have seen some indigos make the same noise. But the same noise was missing on a 2004 indica petrol lxi. Is your indigo a petrol? And which year model is it?
If its the noise that im talking about then its perfectly normal....power steering pumps on indicas and to some extent on the indigos make this noise.

Drifter
Old 20th April 2005, 01:30   #4
BHPian

hi
mine's a indigo lx, done 8000kms.

Rudra,
yes the noise is more in a basement, cant hear it while driving in the open.
when i had given the car for 5k first service, the supervisor said some power steering alignment has to be done.
now 3k later that alignment it gone.

will explain this to them on saturday

thanks
pankaj
Old 20th April 2005, 05:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Pankaj,

It might be that when you are turning the wheel the extra load on the PS pump is causing the belt to slip a bit making that noise.
I guess belt alignment would be you best bet, however, these problems to have the tendency to reoccur.

cya
R
Old 20th April 2005, 05:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Screeching noise means belt is slipping. Having owned a V1, I'm really familiar with that noise. Get the belt tightened.
Old 20th April 2005, 09:29   #7
BHPian

I remember reading in my GTX's manual that i should not leave the car with the steering fully turned. It said some seal or something will get damaged and there will be a whining noise. So maybe try not parking your car with the steering wheel fully turned.

This power steering noise has always been present in the tata vehicles. I first faced it in the TATA estate. It comes only when the steering is fully turned. I got my belt aligned and tightened quite a few times but it was sort of recurring. Finally i learnt to live with that noise after the dealer promised me that its not harmful in any way(???).

But sometimes there is slight "kreeeeeeech" noise that comes along with this humming noise. Usually in my car that comes when there is a leak in the power steering oil and the oil level is down.

Last edited by Harrie : 20th April 2005 at 09:30.
Old 20th April 2005, 22:39   #8
BHPian

It's happened a couple of times in my folks adventure - the power steering reservoir was mysteriously empty - with no sign of leakages (and it came back from a service like that as well - thanks fiat - so you guys dont even bother liftiing the hood of the car)

If it's the same case just get a bottle of Castrol TQ (around Rs 110) and fill up the power steeing fluid reservoir.

zaphod
Old 20th April 2005, 22:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just see if anypart of your wheel is touching the internal surface of the fender. I myself own an Indigo. There used to be some noise (Dhakk) from the steering column when the car went through a pothole but on checking it came that some nut had become loose in the column which after tightening, the noise went away!
Old 20th April 2005, 22:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
I remember reading in my GTX's manual that i should not leave the car with the steering fully turned. It said some seal or something will get damaged and there will be a whining noise. So maybe try not parking your car with the steering wheel fully turned.
yup thats spot on harrie. never leave your PS car wheels fully turned when parked..it puts a lot of load on the pipes carrying the PS fluid that could lead to bursts or leakage of the pipes ..thats my understanding.

cheers
Old 21st April 2005, 08:10   #11
BHPian

check if ur car is leaking any oil...
check the level of oil power steering...
once my Tata Sierra there was giving a sound when i use to turn the steering...
when i got it checked, the pipe for the power steering oil had become very soft and was leaking few drops...
after i changed that pipe its was fine...
well now i sold that car...thank god...ha ha ha
Old 21st April 2005, 10:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

Got this fixed yesterday!!

The tata guys kept on adjusting the AC belt and Alternator belt for two hours till an expirienced mechanic came and told them to tighten the power steering bolts. Simple fix, took 5minutes after 2 hours of wasted effort. You can tell them to fix the power steering system bolts
Old 24th April 2005, 00:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Screeching noise means belt is slipping. Having owned a V1, I'm really familiar with that noise. Get the belt tightened.
How much does this job cost and how much time does it take? Is it labour intensive like changing the timing belt? And is it true what Harrie was told that its fine to ignore the noise?
Old 24th April 2005, 01:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Tightening the belt is a really simple job and any mechanic should be able to do it. As TSK mentioned, apparently there are 4 bolts holding the PS pump. Loosen them, push the pulleys away from each other (so that the belt is tight) and then tighten the bolts.
Old 24th April 2005, 19:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

Free of cost as i told him i will get 950Rs Engine decarb at the next service
Jokes apart its a simple job and took 5 minutes. Nothing to do with belt. Just one of the screws of power steering assembly. On full turn it tends to bend the Belt
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks