Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th January 2016, 22:37   #61
BHPian

Default re: BlaBlaCar: Ride Sharing Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
To each their own. I'm not that pessimistic.

You would possibly be surprised that India has a very lively couchsurfing scene. In comparison this is just a single (few) hour long ride. of course, its another thing that many Indian hosts supposedly prefer foreign visitors far more (as per a couple of very active hosts).

Even here on team-bhp you've had many BHPians taking trips together, simply on the basis of a basic camaraderie and a view on other's posts. If you'd check up on the broader internet you'd probably come across many stories of travelers hitching a ride from others - purely on the basis of their interactions on the forum, including across genders.

This idea has been working for decades in other societies (mitfahrzentrale) - with the right application of technology and processes, I'd say it has more than a fair shot in India!
I agree Phamilyman. But that would be in a very secure enviornment. In India, I feel it is one man's word against the other when there is a conflict of interest. The person with more influence, more time on hand can win the argument. For a law abiding citizen, I feel it is more of a hazzle than convenience. I could be wrong.
MSMILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 13:53   #62

Default Ride sharing experiences in India

Hi all,

Having been a regular user of BlaBla Car on the Mumbai to Pune circuit, and happy to share my experience.
Was wondering if you guys use such services as well? Especially in other cities.

As a driver and also a rider, I have found this resolves the issues of not having either riders or the speed and comfort of your own car, for long journeys. Point to point service, cost effective and much quicker than the Volvo buses (since usually 80% of your total journey gets covered). Certainly more eco-friendly.

Similarly, there are many commuter ride sharing apps available, but none seem to have critical mass, at least in Mumbai.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2017 at 06:36. Reason: Typos
VivOverland is offline   Reply With Quote