Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th January 2016, 22:37   #61
BHPian

Default re: BlaBlaCar: Ride Sharing Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
To each their own. I'm not that pessimistic.

You would possibly be surprised that India has a very lively couchsurfing scene. In comparison this is just a single (few) hour long ride. of course, its another thing that many Indian hosts supposedly prefer foreign visitors far more (as per a couple of very active hosts).

Even here on team-bhp you've had many BHPians taking trips together, simply on the basis of a basic camaraderie and a view on other's posts. If you'd check up on the broader internet you'd probably come across many stories of travelers hitching a ride from others - purely on the basis of their interactions on the forum, including across genders.

This idea has been working for decades in other societies (mitfahrzentrale) - with the right application of technology and processes, I'd say it has more than a fair shot in India!
I agree Phamilyman. But that would be in a very secure enviornment. In India, I feel it is one man's word against the other when there is a conflict of interest. The person with more influence, more time on hand can win the argument. For a law abiding citizen, I feel it is more of a hazzle than convenience. I could be wrong.
MSMILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 13:53   #62
BHPian

Default Ride sharing experiences in India

Hi all,

Having been a regular user of BlaBla Car on the Mumbai to Pune circuit, and happy to share my experience.
Was wondering if you guys use such services as well? Especially in other cities.

As a driver and also a rider, I have found this resolves the issues of not having either riders or the speed and comfort of your own car, for long journeys. Point to point service, cost effective and much quicker than the Volvo buses (since usually 80% of your total journey gets covered). Certainly more eco-friendly.

Similarly, there are many commuter ride sharing apps available, but none seem to have critical mass, at least in Mumbai.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2017 at 06:36. Reason: Typos
VivOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 15:56   #63
BHPian

Default Re: Ride sharing experiences in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Hi all,

Having been a regular user of BlaBla Car on the Mumbai to Pune circuit, and happy to share my experience.
Was wondering if you guys use such services as well? Especially in other cities.

As a driver and also a rider, I have found this resolves the issues of not having either riders or the speed and comfort of your own car, for long journeys. Point to point service, cost effective and much quicker than the Volvo buses (since usually 80% of your total journey gets covered). Certainly more eco-friendly.

Similarly, there are many commuter ride sharing apps available, but none seem to have critical mass, at least in Mumbai.

Thoughts?
Have been using bla frequently in Bangalore-Kerala route both as a co-passenger as well as offering rides. It is very convenient especially during long weekend and holiday seasons when bus fares are hiked up and left with no seats. I have not had any issues so far with this medium of transport.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 17:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: BlaBlaCar: Ride Sharing Service

Has there been any previous history of a successful insurance claim while carrying a passenger in bla bla car? I suppose that will be the acid test.

If one claim gets denied based on the commercial use / taxi clause this will sink.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 17:39   #65
BHPian

Hey all,

Traveled from Bengaluru to Mysore recently using the BlaBla car platform.The ride was an year old Polo GT and the driver was new to BlaBla.He travels the same route every weekend with his family and I was his third BlaBla passenger.
It was very useful as the buses and trains were jam packed due to the long weekend and he was a resident of the same locality too.So didnt have to travel far to board it as ell.we completed the trip in 3 hours with two stops.It was economical as well,the same amount I would pay for a volvo.
Very happy with it.
SourabhSuresh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 06:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Has there been any previous history of a successful insurance claim while carrying a passenger in bla bla car? I suppose that will be the acid test.

If one claim gets denied based on the commercial use / taxi clause this will sink.
Not sure how much clarity exists on this regard. This cannot be categorised as commercial/taxi usage, right? Isn't it just pooling of friends along, or atleast can't we put it that way in case of an incident. How would the insurance claim prove it wrong.

I only wish people does not consider this as a medium to make profit. I always just divide the fuel prices, and not even include the maintanence charges in the price.
balenoed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 08:20   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I only wish people does not consider this as a medium to make profit. I always just divide the fuel prices, and not even include the maintanence charges in the price.
That's the way it should be, but from what I have seen on the Delhi-Chandigarh route is that the fares are generally kept the same as a Volvo ticket. I've only travelled as a passenger once but my friend does up-down every week and now he doesn't even use Bla-Bla any longer since he has developed a camaraderie with the guy he goes along with. I did not like the ride personally as it was a Verna and would have definitely preferred a Volvo over that but he did save us 1.5hrs on the trip.
rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2017, 13:47   #68
BHPian

I recently recd. a very suspicious message from a Bla Bla Car user for a ride i had posted about recently.
BlaBlaCar: Ride Sharing Service-blabla.png
BlaBlaCar: Ride Sharing Service-blablauser.png
Red Flags (When looked holistically and not individually)
  • A very Generic message non contextual to the trip
  • Recently created profile, with no prev. info
  • the about profile of user is soliciting
  • Nagpur is not a place which has attracted foreign tourists in the past

There's a definite sense of falseness here, what do you guys think is the agenda here ?
rauldsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2017, 22:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
There's a definite sense of falseness here, what do you guys think is the agenda here ?
My sense is that this is the beginning of a Nigerian scam. The wording and initial pitch are very similar.

My day job since 2000 or so has been filtering spam and phishing emails for large cloud email services, so letís say Iíve seen quite a few such messages. Not on blanla car beforehand but they are all over craigslist, eBay etc.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote