Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2007, 09:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Astra In flames

I read about it in this mornings paper:
The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Car goes up in flames, holds up traffic

CHENNAI : A car went up in flames around 7.35 p.m. on Wednesday on Nageswara Rao Road near Panagal Park throwing traffic in T. Nagar in disarray for over an hour.
Traffic in Pondy Bazaar, Venkatnarayana Road, Usman Road, Doraisamy Road and G.N. Chetty Road came to a standstill as firefighters tried to put off the fire and police tried to regulate traffic.
An eyewitness said, "I saw a car drift by belching fumes. When I saw it go up in flames I jumped off the bus and ran."
"I am totally perplexed. I don't know how it happened," said Rajaram, a resident of Delhi, who was with his wife Neeraja and two-year-old son when the Opel Astra he was driving caught fire. "It is my relative's car." A shaken Neeraja said, "My husband was checking the cause of the fumes when I saw petrol leaking. I grabbed my son and got out." Uttam Chand Galada, in front of whose shop the accident occurred, said he alerted the fire department, who came in 30 minutes.
Police personnel called in to regulate the traffic were also held up because of the traffic jam.

Pretty spooky!! I think the cars should be built with auto cutoff mechanism. If my memory serves me correct, several cars do come with these things to cut off fuel flow to the engine in the case of an accident.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th April 2007 at 10:34. Reason: Please dont link to images hosted on other websites. Rehost on imageshack if neccessary.
Old 26th April 2007, 09:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good that no life was lost. I guess the owner's loss will be covered by insurance.
Old 26th April 2007, 09:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

looks more like a corsa with the roundish lamps.

edit: yup it definitely is a corsa and not an Astra. Man even the news isnt correct these days. See the round headlamps and the plastic wheel arch.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th April 2007 at 09:56.
Old 26th April 2007, 09:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

the news report has said it was an Astra. Speaking of insurance, would it be covered considering the owner was not driving it? (as pointed in the article?)
Old 26th April 2007, 09:54   #5
BHPian

Good that nobody is hurt!. And I am sure it's one of those badly maintained Astras ( as most of them I see are)
Old 26th April 2007, 09:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Do we have a list of cars with auto cut off fuel mechanism? My Palio does have it but it works only in an event of collision.

I remember reading in Outlook Money that the Corsa from Opel smelled of petrol fumes after a 120 km session of hard driving.
Old 26th April 2007, 10:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Add the Ikon to the list pf vehicles which come with an auto-cut off mechanism. However, it gets activated only in the case of an impact/collision.

If i remember right, we had another member also mention about an Opel (his brother's) which went up in flames in Hyderabad. Looks like its not the first time.
Old 26th April 2007, 10:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats with Opels and fires? There's also another thread here about self-combusting Corsas. Were Opels sold in India with an undetected flaw? Nevertheless, GM India needs to be pinged abt their responsibility for these incidents.
Old 26th April 2007, 10:54   #9
BHPian

This is not an astra. It is an corsa. Thats a second one!!!
Old 26th April 2007, 11:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
the news report has said it was an Astra. Speaking of insurance, would it be covered considering the owner was not driving it? (as pointed in the article?)
If the driver had a valid license, it would be covered.
Old 26th April 2007, 12:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Check the Fire man's clothes in the pic. Apart from the boots i don't see any other protection on his body that would save him when he gets close to fire. He is working with bare hands and his body is completely exposed if the fire suddenly thurns in to a blaze. I pity these guys for the state they work in to save people's lifes and property.
Old 26th April 2007, 23:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Check the Fire man's clothes in the pic. Apart from the boots i don't see any other protection on his body that would save him when he gets close to fire. He is working with bare hands and his body is completely exposed if the fire suddenly thurns in to a blaze. I pity these guys for the state they work in to save people's lifes and property.
yep...it is sad, but its india..what to do
Old 26th April 2007, 23:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

its a corsa for sure but i don't get it how did the hood ended but all in dents look at it

and i think the car has a sunroof or its a dent on the roof to

and this is the second corsa to burn up
and its good to hear that no one was hurt
Old 27th April 2007, 08:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Now, the bright side. The owner would get a far better price from insurance than what he would have managed in the used car market.
Old 27th April 2007, 10:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Eh, so ur saying they do this on purpose??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks