Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 18:26   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad - traffic customs

Hi.

I have been driving in Hyderabad for about a year. After being used to higher levels of enforcement by traffic cops in places like Mumbai and Chennai, I still find it difficult to get used to the different way traffic rules are treated here and the attitude of the traffic cops, though I’m comfortable with the city in most other things.

In most other cities, you commit a violation and you will either be fined by the cops or asked for a bribe. Here the cops ignore most violations, including obvious ones like breaking signals or wrong-side driving. I’m surprised because, even if the cops are not bothered about enforcing rules, they also don’t seem as keen as in other places about trying to make money for themselves. In other cities the cops stop you at least for their personal gain and even if they are corrupt, the prospect of paying a bribe still makes people think twice before breaking a rule. Here I see people breaking rules under the nose of the cops.

I’m starting to wonder if it is because people here are not instructed about all the rules and am trying to understand what’s customary here. The below things are some that I have noticed - your comments please.

For example: at signals where you can either go straight or take a right turn, the people who have to go straight totally ignore the signal. Only the people turning right observe the signal probably because they have a greater chance of an accident otherwise, while making a turn.

Some specific places – 1. Going from Cancer Hospital to Jubilee Hills Checkpost, there is a signal (where the TDP office is). A right turn takes you to Punjagutta and the road straight ahead to Checkpost. People going straight to Checkpost ignore the signal even if it is red while the people taking a right will stop. If you are going straight and stop for the red there, cars behind you start honking away. Once a cop (not a traffic constable but a regular one in khaki who seemed to be part of a group on guard duty) waved to me to tell me not to stop for the red.

2. Road No.1 Banjara Hills, going from Taj Krishna to Masab Tank. At the City Centre Mall junction, only people turning right to Road No.10 stop for the red signal. People going straight just keep going, whether red or green. Again the cops don’t bother. And it is sometimes a problem for cars from Road No.10 turning right to Masab Tank, as they have to watch out for the stream of traffic coming from the Taj Krishna side as well.

3. Road No.2 Banjara Hills, going from Nagarjuna Circle to LV Prasad Hospital. At the signal where a right takes you to Srinagar Colony, people going straight to LV Prasad don’t bother about the signal.

Also, if any of you people drive on the road from Checkpost to Chiranjeevi Blood Bank and on to Srinagar Colony, you may have seen that the road narrows from two lanes to one lane just after the Blood Bank, due to some road work and people coming from Checkpost side are forced to take a diversion by entering the “wrong side”.

But I have seen that people coming from the Checkpost side start driving on the wrong side of the road about 100 metres before they reach the place where the road narrows. I can’t figure out why. I’m surprised they don’t want to enjoy the benefit of a wider road for as long as they can. Why take a diversion before you have to?

I could keep rambling on about similar stuff but I think the above is more than enough.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Suppor

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th December 2008 at 18:29. Reason: Font tags
Old 9th December 2008, 19:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post

Some specific places – 1. Going from Cancer Hospital to Jubilee Hills Checkpost, there is a signal (where the TDP office is). A right turn takes you to Punjagutta and the road straight ahead to Checkpost. People going straight to Checkpost ignore the signal even if it is red while the people taking a right will stop. If you are going straight and stop for the red there, cars behind you start honking away. Once a cop (not a traffic constable but a regular one in khaki who seemed to be part of a group on guard duty) waved to me to tell me not to stop for the red.

2. Road No.1 Banjara Hills, going from Taj Krishna to Masab Tank. At the City Centre Mall junction, only people turning right to Road No.10 stop for the red signal. People going straight just keep going, whether red or green. Again the cops don’t bother. And it is sometimes a problem for cars from Road No.10 turning right to Masab Tank, as they have to watch out for the stream of traffic coming from the Taj Krishna side as well.

3. Road No.2 Banjara Hills, going from Nagarjuna Circle to LV Prasad Hospital. At the signal where a right takes you to Srinagar Colony, people going straight to LV Prasad don’t bother about the signal.

Also, if any of you people drive on the road from Checkpost to Chiranjeevi Blood Bank and on to Srinagar Colony, you may have seen that the road narrows from two lanes to one lane just after the Blood Bank, due to some road work and people coming from Checkpost side are forced to take a diversion by entering the “wrong side”.

But I have seen that people coming from the Checkpost side start driving on the wrong side of the road about 100 metres before they reach the place where the road narrows. I can’t figure out why. I’m surprised they don’t want to enjoy the benefit of a wider road for as long as they can. Why take a diversion before you have to?
Most of the signals you have mentioned turn red only for the people taking a right turn. The vehicles going straight need not stop at these signals. If you had noticed, once the red light is on at the city center mall signal or the LV Prasad signal, after few seconds, the straight green light flashes meaning that you proceed with caution. This used to be the case when the signals used to work.

As for the wrong side driving, welcome to Hyderabad friend! Nothing can be done for this. Even the cops ride/drive on the wrong side and most of the times without a helmet, sometimes talking on mobile, etc.

Once I had a Police Sumo (Cyberabad Police) in front of me at the Kothaguda signal. Initially he stopped for the signal for about 10 seconds but got frustrated I guess and he just turned on the siren and cut across the traffic.

It will take some time for you to get used to it (took me more than 1.5 years!). But, idhar aisech hota hai bhai!
Old 9th December 2008, 21:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

welcome to free land mate. don't worry much about rules here. cops are usually afraid of people. 'badi' gaadi gets more respect. keep right on 4-lane highway. don't talk on phone if you are stopped at a signal. if you are not stopping, continue talking.
all signals can be broken except very few which you will come to know anyway. be careful they might send a chellan if they notice.
all said, please follow the rules. makes you feel a bit different and happy (at time you can annoy people when you stop at a red signal). i just love the looks on people's faces. deliberately go fast when i see yellow and gradually pull to a stop fooling everyone behind. everyone thinks that i will pass.
Old 9th December 2008, 23:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
all said, please follow the rules. makes you feel a bit different and happy (at time you can annoy people when you stop at a red signal). i just love the looks on people's faces. deliberately go fast when i see yellow and gradually pull to a stop fooling everyone behind. everyone thinks that i will pass.
Thats very dangerous in Hyderabad Kutlee,You will suffer a huge damage on your rear! Even the well educated IT folks from Hi-Tec City don't follow the rules here. (The signal at madhapur police station was red and I was waiting for it to turn green, to take the right turn... There was a santro guy behind me honking continuously. All I did was lock my doors, raised the volume on my 'Boom'ing ICE and sat happily ever after! well, until it was green. scared the bike trying to cut through by pointing my car directly towards him! )cheers:

As for the yellow light, I stopped at Check-post. There was this auto guy behind me who abused me and then took off on RED cutting through traffic!

I even brake to let the pedestrians cross the road, and in the meantime have to skip a heart-beat hearing the tyre screeches from the cars/bikes behind to avoid tail-gating me! They think I am also a moron just like them and expect me not to stop! The relief + smile on the pedestrian's face makes you feel on top of the world.

I wish that we could get these people on T-BHP and educate them!
Old 10th December 2008, 01:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
If you had noticed, once the red light is on at the city center mall signal or the LV Prasad signal, after few seconds, the straight green light flashes meaning that you proceed with caution. This used to be the case when the signals used to work.
Pulsar, now when the red light comes on for the right turns, it comes on for the straight as well - and similarly, both turn green at the same time. I haven't seen the flashing green (I have seen a flashing green for a left turn which of course is unnecessary as there is no left turn there). Maybe like you said, that was earlier and the signals work differently now.

Kutlee, I know what you are saying - have been seeing it on all the roads If this is "free land", I would prefer a place where you can't be so "free" - which will free you from a lot of hassle. Looks like I will have to get used to it quick.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Thats very dangerous in Hyderabad Kutlee,You will suffer a huge damage on your rear! Even the well educated IT folks from Hi-Tec City don't follow the rules here. (The signal at madhapur police station was red and I was waiting for it to turn green, to take the right turn...
I wish that we could get these people on T-BHP and educate them!
now there are two things. I said gradually...not suddenly. and mind you that gaps that i make is quite big and gives me enough space to play around.
second, IT and educated are necessarily an "assumed/presumed" mix mostly. there are a lot of 'ameerpet' universities. also there are very educated people in IT. so cannot assume.
now, getting people on t-bhp and educating seems a good idea though. or is it? confused...
Old 10th December 2008, 12:19   #7
BHPian

One can go on for days rattling about hyderabad traffic customs. However you have to admit that it makes us one of the most skilful drivers in the world. Traffic rarely stops to a standstill, and we make better use of the "yellow" time at traffic signals.

One advise for people driving in Hyderabad, try to be in one gear lower than the optimal one for your speed.

P.S However despite all the hurry on the road, Hyderabadis will still turn up fashionably late!
Old 10th December 2008, 13:12   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The traffic in Hyderabad is like a bomb waiting to explode. The two wheeler riders are simply outrageous and at times watching their antics I've seriously thought of rolling down a window and suggesting he tries going up the lamp post, onto the electric wires and across the intersection !!

I wouldn't be surprised if road rage incidents have gone up. Its sad that the traffic police seem totally ineffective. Wonder what the commisioner does all day.

I can think of one suggestion that can ease the congestion on Rd 12 Banjara Hills. They can use Rd 13 and 12 as one way streets as they run parallel.

Last edited by DKG : 10th December 2008 at 13:14.
Old 10th December 2008, 13:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

i had a pretty hair raising experience on Sunday. I was at the Manikonda - Old Bombay Highway junction (next to Gachibowli stadium). my side of the light turned grean and i moved forward. All of a sudden, i see this middle aged man on a vespa scooter, without helmet (of course!- this is hyd!) ambling along merrily even though his side of the sgnal is red. now picture this- i am in my Safari and have already accelerated upto 40 kph when i see this dude on the vespa coming along perpendicular to my direction and about to cross right in front of my truck.

i slammed on the brakes, jumped off the car and went and caugt hold of the guys collar with a serious intent to punch him right in the face.

the fellow looks at me incredulously and says- kyaa saab, accident hua to nahin- to kya itna gussa!

This is Hyd traffic for you!!!!
Old 10th December 2008, 13:27   #10
BHPian

Have anyone seen the movie "Idiocracy"? Driving in Hyd makes you feel like living in that movie.
Old 10th December 2008, 14:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
P.S However despite all the hurry on the road, Hyderabadis will still turn up fashionably late!
The hurry on the road is to catch up with a quick Irani Chai or to meet some friends on the way! Arriving late in a bigger car is more of a prestigious activity rather than punctuality!
Old 11th December 2008, 01:36   #12
BHPian

Out of all the worst practice is vehicles turning across do it when one least expects, vehicle on your left could turn right across and some vehicles beat laws of physics by squeezing in when you think it is impossible. Out of the three please watch for first 2 and pedestrians dropping from sky right in front.
Old 11th December 2008, 01:54   #13
Ali
BHPian

This is something we can talk about for hours.The most simplest solution is to ignore and drive off.Everyone is in a hurry here,whether it be a peak hours or off hours.I just let them past and enjoy my music.
Old 15th December 2008, 15:59   #14
BHPian

Recently I visited Hyderabad, it was a big disappointment to see traffic chaos, I was unable to visit all my relatives and my friends. Traffic is so bad, I tried to drive in early morning or late afternoon to avoid rush hour traffic, but it is all the same any time you go out. There is no control of traffic police, even on red, traffic is going on. It is mismanagement of traffic, lot of places roads were widening, but the pace of work is slow.
Heavy vehicles, trucks driving on speed track, obstructing the route.

Traffic authorities needs to completly review existing traffic problems
and work on it.

Road widening to be done fast almost everywhere in the city
Flyovers needed at Mozamjahi market, Kothi, Abids, Nampally,
Chaderghat, Afzalgunj, Nayapul and many parts of the city.
This section of old city where people move from old city to other side
daily completely ignored.

Service road concept to be implemented slow traffic, 2 wheelers
to be restricted from speed tracks, speed track left free for fast
moving traffic only. Lot of cars have black sun screen on windows
which is making driver visibility very poor. Drivers completely ignoring
horns, lights signals without any regard to other cars behind it.
It seems rear view mirrors importance completed ignored.

Traffic rules campaign to be done using all types of media.

Lot of accidents will be reduced if above safety rules were implemented.
Presently all the energy will be exhausted if one drives car from point-A
to point-B.
Old 15th December 2008, 16:35   #15
BHPian

In Hyderabad there is this traffic rule..I will be the first one to go,be it a pedestrian/two wheeler/four wheeler/truck or even a bullock cart,everyone is in a hurry on the roads.

For all other things they will be late, except on the roads.

I guess since Hyderabadis are late most of the time,they would like to cover up the time on roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks