Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 17:56   #1
BHPian

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness

Starting a new thread because I wasn't able to find any Experience Tour thread for Chennai. Please merge this in case a thread already exists!

So, just like every other petrolhead out there I'm a huge fan of powerful & fancy cars. I've always admired the German cars for their amazing build and explosive engines, my love for German cars & BMWs in particular grew when I got a chance to drive my friend's X1 in March. Just like most of us out there, I've watched the performance cars do crazy stuff only on YouTube and never got to see it in person. But this time, it was a different story.

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474976753590.jpg

I had registered myself for Zoomcar's parking challenge that was to take place on 25th September(Sunday) to make sure my Sunday wasn't dull and boring. I had asked a few petrol head friends if they would like to come along, just to increase the prospects of winning the competition. Few of them agreed to come, but one guy told he was going for the BMW Experience Tour and won't be coming along. So, I had only 2 guys confirmed for the event and Friday had passed.

The very next day, the guy who was going for the BMW tour asked in our WhatsApp group if anyone wanted to join him. And without any second thoughts, I sprang up and claimed the spot! No tough decision here, Zoomcar or //M car? The choice was obvious. The event was scheduled to start at 10am at MMRT, irungatukotai. That place is a good 40km from our place, so we planned an 8am start.

So, it was Sunday morning and the excitement made me wake up by 5:30am(unlike weekdays where even 8am seems to be early morning). And as usual, the 8am start got pushed to 9am cos my friend woke up late. We reached the venue by 9:45 & we were greeted by a bunch of minis and BMWs all over the place. They had erected a temporary shelter like thing for the event. We were welcomed with wet towels and cold water bottles. My friend had to sign a form and was given a band. And then comes a nice part, we were directed into another portion where they had a decent breakfast spread! That was very nice of BMW to do that. Had a few donuts and muffins, finished it off with a chocolate chip cookie.

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977258718.jpg

Also, had a go in console gaming at the event.

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977392300.jpg
Racing in an Audi at a BMW event. LOL

After breakfast and some gaming, we went out to check out the M cars parked. Those cars were brilliant! Here are a few pictures:

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977512651.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977542293.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977620095.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977665008.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977697452.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977715802.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977760892.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474977814685.jpg

After this, we were called in and then briefed on what we would be doing that afternoon. Mr.Wong from Singapore was the one who briefed us about the event.

We were also told that since the turnout was in large numbers, the cars will have only the registered drivers and their friends will have to be in the stands. Was slightly disappointed but made the most of it by climbing up to the highest level in the stand to get the best view of the entire track.
So, my friend had gone to the pit while me and my friend's brother were discussing about the cars and obviously, the scorching summer like heat on a September afternoon.

There were 15 cars: 3 series, GT, X1 & X3. These cars were broken into two groups, SUVs and sedans. The SUVs were led by an instructor in a red X6M and had a blue X6M at the end of the convoy.

The sedans on the other hand were led by an X5M. We had a nice time, enjoying the view from the stands. The participants had 3 laps each & since each car had 3 drivers, it was 9 laps in total.

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474978355926.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474978378932.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474978396151.jpg

So 9 laps and 45 minutes later, all the cars came back to the pit. And here was the surprise, out came the M cars! An M3 and 2 M6s. What was even better? The participants and their friends would be taken for a pilot lap in the cars by the instructors!

Easily, the best experience ever! Had a go in the M6 first. The way that car pulled off the mark, phenomenal! And then came the thrilling part, drifting around the corners! Managed to take a video of the lap despite the blabbering and squealing by the occupants! The way the car was handled by the driver was mind blowing. When we thought the car would spin out, this guy does one small flick and it comes back on track. Absolutely mental!

The BMW M6 that took us around the track
(Pic courtesy: BMW India Facebook page)
BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474978749882.jpg

The BMW M5 that took us around the track
(Courtesy: BMW India Facebook page)
BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474978799171.jpg

Reason behind my grin: That beast, obviously!
BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474978847906.jpg

Look at that for chicken strips!
BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474978885318.jpg

After taking pictures with the cars and interacting with the drivers, we headed back to lounge where we were treated with a lunch buffet and loads of Tropicana!
We were also given a goodie bag and BMW magazines.

With our minds blown and tummies full, we came back home with big grins and memories that will last a life time! Thank you BMW for such a wonderful Sunday! You guys are amazing

BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness-1474979167295.jpg

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th September 2016 at 18:09. Reason: pic is of an m5 not an m3
saadat1992 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 18:16   #2
BHPian

re: BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness

Here are the videos that I had recorded at the event.

#1 The convoy of SUVs being led by the X6M

#2 The mental M3 sliding all over the track, on board footage.

#3 The M6 & M3 taking off, part 1

#4 The M6 & M3 taking off, part 2

#5 The raw V8 roar of the M6

#6 The best of the lot! The M6 drift + Hot lap video
I cant post that video here cos it has mild swearing in it. You can find it in related videos of the above links or you could search for "BMW M experience: M6 powersliding + Hot lap " on youtube. I strongly suggest you people watch it! Definitely the best of the lot!
saadat1992 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 19:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

From what I heard, on Saturday( ie 24th September), the invitees weren't even allowed to go for the M3/M5/M6 demo! Count yourself blessed!
Old 27th September 2016, 19:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
From what I heard, on Saturday( ie 24th September), the invitees weren't even allowed to go for the M3/M5/M6 demo! Count yourself blessed!
Umm, yeah.
But the thing is that we were told that we would be have a go in the M cars if no untoward incident took place. Everything went smooth and we were given pilot laps at the end.

Also, there was a separate M day last week. A select few owners were invited for the event and they were allowed to drive the M cars on track. A friend of mine got that opportunity.
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 22:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness

Thanks for sharing the pics & video. Loved the exhaust note of the sedans in the video. That alone makes those worthy machines!
Old 28th September 2016, 00:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics & video. Loved the exhaust note of the sedans in the video. That alone makes those worthy machines!
They sounded even better in person, was actually looking forward for the M4 & the Z4 present there but, they didnt use them since they had only 2 seats😅
Old 29th September 2016, 16:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW Experience Tour, Chennai - M3 & M6 madness

You Chennai folk are damn lucky. I attended the Bangalore event and after checking with the showroom about my chances of driving an M// car we were thoroughly disappointed when we had to drive the run of the mill variants.

Mr. Wong or the other tall bloke didn't take us on any pilot laps or anything. Glad you guys got a chance.
Old 29th September 2016, 17:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
You Chennai folk are damn lucky. I attended the Bangalore event and after checking with the showroom about my chances of driving an M// car we were thoroughly disappointed when we had to drive the run of the mill variants.

Mr. Wong or the other tall bloke didn't take us on any pilot laps or anything. Glad you guys got a chance.
Where did they organize it in Bangalore?
They organized it at the Madras Motorsports race track, that might have been the reason why they took us on pilot laps and also conducted an M day for a select bunch.
Old 4th October 2016, 16:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Every participant on Saturday also received the opportunity to go for a M taxi lap. If someone missed it could be due to them not being around the designated spot when the rides were taking place.
Old 4th October 2016, 19:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Where did they organize it in Bangalore?
They organized it at the Madras Motorsports race track, that might have been the reason why they took us on pilot laps and also conducted an M day for a select bunch.
Taneja Aerospace off Hosur road. It most definitely isn't a race track like MMRT but I would say there was a bit of deceiving when the call came out to me. I may have avoided the long drive just to spin a 520D up and down a runway.

Apparently they had M cars on for existing M and i8 owners the next day. That doesn't seem to be the case for the Chennai event, looks like everyone who registered had a go.
Old 13th October 2016, 13:29   #11
BHPian

Here's a video from the M-day.
They ended the M-day with this spectacular display!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks