Team-BHP - Headlight Leveling not working
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Headlight Leveling not working (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/100968-headlight-leveling-not-working.html)

Hi,

Yesterday when I tried to adjust the headlight, I noticed that headlight leveler in my Swift was not working. Irrespective of leveling switch position, the through of the light was same.

Any suggestion or thoughts, before going to MASS?

Is the leveling not working on either of the headlights?

You could start with checking if all the fuses are in order; if they are, it could either be a loose contact at the switch end or a faulty leveling motor.

You could get it checked at a neighbourhood garage; a MASS ain't necessary.

Give it few seconds, and watch the beam closely when parked near to a wall. Say about 3 meters away from a wall. Try moving from 0-4 in one go. If its not moving up or down after 10 seconds also then you have a problem.

Check the wiring first then the fuses and finally the unit itself. MASS is the best place to get this checked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2346462)
Is the leveling not working on either of the headlights?

You could start with checking if all the fuses are in order; if they are, it could either be a loose contact at the switch end or a faulty leveling motor.

You could get it checked at a neighbourhood garage; a MASS ain't necessary.

It is the Leveling which is not working. Is their is a separate fuse for leveling motor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 2346471)
Give it few seconds, and watch the beam closely when parked near to a wall. Say about 3 meters away from a wall. Try moving from 0-4 in one go. If its not moving up or down after 10 seconds also then you have a problem.

Check the wiring first then the fuses and finally the unit itself. MASS is the best place to get this checked.

This is exactly what I did. I checked against the wall, and noticed that even after a minute there was no change after moving from 0-4 in one go.

manjubp , did you by any chance change your HL's recently?

Goto a mass, there is hardly any place to put your hands in to check things. Dont mess up the connectors etc while experimenting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 2346953)
manjubp , did you by any chance change your HL's recently?

Yes, I replaced my headlights around 2 weeks back. But these I have done many times in this car and also in my previous cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjubp (Post 2347193)
Yes, I replaced my headlights around 2 weeks back. But these I have done many times in this car and also in my previous cars.

Why would you change the headlights of you cars multiple times?

Any other reason apart from accident/damage?

And is it the entire HL assembly or just the bulb? (Is if it is the assembly or not is what I believe Dhanush is asking)

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjubp (Post 2347193)

Ah.. I'm almost certain that the new HL's does not have the leveling motor. Or somehow it got switched. Go to MASS/where you replace the HL's and confirm.

This is a common occurrence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2347227)
Why would you change the headlights of you cars multiple times?

Any other reason apart from accident/damage?

And is it the entire HL assembly or just the bulb? (Is if it is the assembly or not is what I believe Dhanush is asking)

oopss, my mistake, what I meant was I replaced the bulbs recently. The headlight assembly is OEM and has been never removed.

regards,
-manju

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 2347384)
Ah.. I'm almost certain that the new HL's does not have the leveling motor. Or somehow it got switched. Go to MASS/where you replace the HL's and confirm.

This is a common occurrence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjubp (Post 2349101)
oopss, my mistake, what I meant was I replaced the bulbs recently. The headlight assembly is OEM and has been never removed.

regards,
-manju

Probably, during changing of the bulbs, the connections were not properly made. Just replacing the bulbs will not affect the levelling.

If not this, something must be wrong with the wiring or the fuses.

Bringing this post to conclusion.

Replaced the HL assembly this week, at Mondavi Motors. Costed Rs.2800/-. The issue was there was nearly half liter of water in the HL assembly, so the motor was unable to move the reflector. However motor was good, but they replaced it, rather they would have dried the HL assemble and refitted it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjubp (Post 2388000)
Replaced the HL assembly this week, at Mondavi Motors. Costed Rs.2800/-. The issue was there was nearly half liter of water in the HL assembly, so the motor was unable to move the reflector. However motor was good, but they replaced it, rather they would have dried the HL assemble and refitted it.

Where'd the water enter the HL assembly? Shoddy HL replacement job? And there was water in both the HL assemblys?

If the motor was submerged under water too, it is a good thing they changed it as well; you never know when that would have given up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2388007)
Where'd the water enter the HL assembly? Shoddy HL replacement job? And there was water in both the HL assemblys?

If the motor was submerged under water too, it is a good thing they changed it as well; you never know when that would have given up.

It was only on right side. Not sure how did it enter. But it drained out though the socket hole of meant for fixing the light. There was no crack or anything such that. After removal of water the system worked fine, but I noticed only after fitment of new one.

My Figo's HL leveller is faulty. It automatically goes to the lowest position ....suddenly it corrects itself to the correct position - so on & so forth. I tried playing around with the leveller switch - sometime it works as desired ...sometimes whatever I do, it HL beam remains in the lowest position (closest to the bumper).

I replaced (about 1 mo back) by Ford bulbs with Osram 90/100W. Hence a little tentative of going to Ford as they will say the warranty is void..?

Has anyone experienced this before?