Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 09:33   #1
BHPian

Headlight Leveling not working

Hi,

Yesterday when I tried to adjust the headlight, I noticed that headlight leveler in my Swift was not working. Irrespective of leveling switch position, the through of the light was same.

Any suggestion or thoughts, before going to MASS?

Last edited by manjubp : 11th May 2011 at 09:35.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Headlight Leveling not working

Is the leveling not working on either of the headlights?

You could start with checking if all the fuses are in order; if they are, it could either be a loose contact at the switch end or a faulty leveling motor.

You could get it checked at a neighbourhood garage; a MASS ain't necessary.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Give it few seconds, and watch the beam closely when parked near to a wall. Say about 3 meters away from a wall. Try moving from 0-4 in one go. If its not moving up or down after 10 seconds also then you have a problem.

Check the wiring first then the fuses and finally the unit itself. MASS is the best place to get this checked.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is the leveling not working on either of the headlights?

You could start with checking if all the fuses are in order; if they are, it could either be a loose contact at the switch end or a faulty leveling motor.

You could get it checked at a neighbourhood garage; a MASS ain't necessary.
It is the Leveling which is not working. Is their is a separate fuse for leveling motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Give it few seconds, and watch the beam closely when parked near to a wall. Say about 3 meters away from a wall. Try moving from 0-4 in one go. If its not moving up or down after 10 seconds also then you have a problem.

Check the wiring first then the fuses and finally the unit itself. MASS is the best place to get this checked.
This is exactly what I did. I checked against the wall, and noticed that even after a minute there was no change after moving from 0-4 in one go.
Old 11th May 2011, 14:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

manjubp , did you by any chance change your HL's recently?
Old 11th May 2011, 15:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

Goto a mass, there is hardly any place to put your hands in to check things. Dont mess up the connectors etc while experimenting.
Old 11th May 2011, 16:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
manjubp , did you by any chance change your HL's recently?
Yes, I replaced my headlights around 2 weeks back. But these I have done many times in this car and also in my previous cars.
Old 11th May 2011, 16:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Yes, I replaced my headlights around 2 weeks back. But these I have done many times in this car and also in my previous cars.
Why would you change the headlights of you cars multiple times?

Any other reason apart from accident/damage?

And is it the entire HL assembly or just the bulb? (Is if it is the assembly or not is what I believe Dhanush is asking)
Old 11th May 2011, 18:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah.. I'm almost certain that the new HL's does not have the leveling motor. Or somehow it got switched. Go to MASS/where you replace the HL's and confirm.

This is a common occurrence.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Why would you change the headlights of you cars multiple times?

Any other reason apart from accident/damage?

And is it the entire HL assembly or just the bulb? (Is if it is the assembly or not is what I believe Dhanush is asking)
oopss, my mistake, what I meant was I replaced the bulbs recently. The headlight assembly is OEM and has been never removed.

regards,
-manju
Old 12th May 2011, 19:49   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Ah.. I'm almost certain that the new HL's does not have the leveling motor. Or somehow it got switched. Go to MASS/where you replace the HL's and confirm.

This is a common occurrence.
Quote:
oopss, my mistake, what I meant was I replaced the bulbs recently. The headlight assembly is OEM and has been never removed.

regards,
-manju
Probably, during changing of the bulbs, the connections were not properly made. Just replacing the bulbs will not affect the levelling.

If not this, something must be wrong with the wiring or the fuses.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:40   #12
BHPian

Bringing this post to conclusion.

Replaced the HL assembly this week, at Mondavi Motors. Costed Rs.2800/-. The issue was there was nearly half liter of water in the HL assembly, so the motor was unable to move the reflector. However motor was good, but they replaced it, rather they would have dried the HL assemble and refitted it.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:56   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Replaced the HL assembly this week, at Mondavi Motors. Costed Rs.2800/-. The issue was there was nearly half liter of water in the HL assembly, so the motor was unable to move the reflector. However motor was good, but they replaced it, rather they would have dried the HL assemble and refitted it.
Where'd the water enter the HL assembly? Shoddy HL replacement job? And there was water in both the HL assemblys?

If the motor was submerged under water too, it is a good thing they changed it as well; you never know when that would have given up.
Old 12th June 2011, 21:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Where'd the water enter the HL assembly? Shoddy HL replacement job? And there was water in both the HL assemblys?

If the motor was submerged under water too, it is a good thing they changed it as well; you never know when that would have given up.
It was only on right side. Not sure how did it enter. But it drained out though the socket hole of meant for fixing the light. There was no crack or anything such that. After removal of water the system worked fine, but I noticed only after fitment of new one.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:04   #15
BHPian

My Figo's HL leveller is faulty. It automatically goes to the lowest position ....suddenly it corrects itself to the correct position - so on & so forth. I tried playing around with the leveller switch - sometime it works as desired ...sometimes whatever I do, it HL beam remains in the lowest position (closest to the bumper).

I replaced (about 1 mo back) by Ford bulbs with Osram 90/100W. Hence a little tentative of going to Ford as they will say the warranty is void..?

Has anyone experienced this before?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks