Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 11:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car moving faster on applying light brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Check whether the brake booster is working fine or not.
This could be the reason why you feel the car is accelerating and not stopping. The next time it happens, pump the brakes, your car will stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Clutch like feeling can be due to expectation that you want the car to slow down after brakes are applied but it doesnt due to its ineffeeftiveness.
Correct !
Old 15th December 2011, 16:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
This is very unusual if it is the discs. As for the pads they will replace them only if it is worn beyond the indicated thickness. You will get a warning on your dash about brake wear. It will depend somewhat on your braking style as well. If the wear is uneven have your wheels aligned and balanced first. Check if the car tends to drift under braking. Ask the dealer about the cause since it is not usual.
Do not worry about it. I have shown the dealer many times and I have got it changed many times by Official Dealer. The Traffic is wierd in Mumbai.
Old 16th December 2011, 20:36   #18
BHPian

This happend recently to me on an M800.
It was an old car 10+years 130000km. non booster carb 800.

First time the brakes bit after some time. Then the frequency increased until it lost all brakes unless pumped vigorously.
I did not feel the car speeding up but definitely felt that the car was freely moving forward instead of retarding as one would expect.

Culprit: Master cylinder
The car was idle for reasonably long periods intermittently and the SA said it dries up the rings causing improper sealing between the piston and the master cylinder. No idea if its true.

But if the frequency of occurrence is increasing, do get the master cyl replaced.
I can still remember when the brakes failed completely on a 4 lane highway (right next to my destination fortunately).
Old 21st December 2011, 11:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
This happend recently to me on an M800.
It was an old car 10+years 130000km. non booster carb 800.

First time the brakes bit after some time. Then the frequency increased until it lost all brakes unless pumped vigorously.
I did not feel the car speeding up but definitely felt that the car was freely moving forward instead of retarding as one would expect.

Culprit: Master cylinder
The car was idle for reasonably long periods intermittently and the SA said it dries up the rings causing improper sealing between the piston and the master cylinder. No idea if its true.

But if the frequency of occurrence is increasing, do get the master cyl replaced.
I can still remember when the brakes failed completely on a 4 lane highway (right next to my destination fortunately).
Over time rubber gets hard and in extreme cases can crumble. Hence it is a good practice to replace the brake fluid and all the rubber components in the brake circuit every 50-70K km or 5-6 years. That ensures that the rubber is supple and the fluid devoid of any contamination - water, dust which can accumulate over time.

If the vehicle is not run much, say 3k/year, it is a good practice to change the brake disks/linings every 5 years, preferably when changing the rubber parts.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks