Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th January 2015, 10:33   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Does a Broken Glow plug require opening of the engine head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
did you repair your vehicles glow plug issue.
Yes, I did get it repaired. Just got the car back last week. I had been waiting for the warranty approval for the job, which unfortunately was rejected for an obscure reason.

The pattern of my vehicle usage had changed over the 4 years I have had the car. The service interval is 15000 kms / 1 year whichever is earlier. The first 30000 kms were done in about 14 months and hence the service was done by kms rather than time. Subsequently, the service has been done yearly since my running had reduced to about 12-13k a year. Problem is, Coolant had to be replaced at 24 months / 60000 kms, whichever is earlier as per the service schedule. However, based on the above pattern, this happened only at about 27 months. This was cited as reason for rejection of work under warranty.

Discussions with the AGM at the service centre helped in getting a concession in that they would not charge labour for the job except the external lathe charges and the glow plug would be replaced under warranty. However, other parts (gasket) and consumables (including sealant, coolant and oil topup) were charged. Total cost was about 5500.

Have driven the car since for about 300 kms now and have not faced any problems yet.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 10:52   #17
BHPian

Yes its so hard to get the extended warranty. They are just waiting to find some reason for rejection, if the service center is not helping shoot an email to fiat. I had two issues for my car one is glow plug and the other was wire to the door on LHS was broken. The FASS (Mohandas motors) told the wiring kit warranty was rejected, I have told them I will escalate to fiat since this is a quality issue of the wire. Then the service manager told they will try once again and inform me. Another thing is that they did not claim for the glow plug till now, that is strange. I am going to talk to the manger today for an update.
And the bad thing is that I have another glow plug warning now .
Why the glow plug issue so common for Fiat. Is the engine killing the glow plug or is it due to a bad quality wiring. After seeing how the wiring kit to the door broke I am very much afraid about the wiring quality.
By the way which garage did you took the car MDM?
harryms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 10:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
I had noticed the glow plug warning on my Linea and sent it in for work at the newly opened Fiat exclusive showroom on the NH bypass in Trivandrum, along with a few other jobs that needed to be done. They got back saying that one of the glow plugs was broken and there was no way of extracting it without opening the engine head. Could the more knowledgeable folks on this forum please confirm if this is true?
Sigh. The exact same thing happened to my Vista quadrajet last week. The glow plug warning light was burning and when trying to change them at a FNG, one of the plugs was found to be broken and he told me that the engine head has to be opened to extract it. I just don't understand how the glow plug breaks so easily and whether it is due to wear and tear or improper handling. Anyways, I thought of checking at TASS whether they have the machine to remove the broken plug without opening the head.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 19th March 2015 at 10:06.
petroguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 22:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamC View Post
If one glow plug is not working it means one cylinder is not working, and you may experience some knocking at low revs. This also means that you will be wasting fuel as the fuel will be discharged without being lit. This may affect your mileage. but as long as you don't over load the engine there should be know long term damage if you use it like this for a short while.
Does it mean that one cylinder is not firing at start-up or even after start-up? According to numerous articles, opposite views are citied. Expert's views/suggestions/facts are needed to second that.

If only three cylinders are firing, even after start-up, it's a serious problem to run a three-pot engine!
Ch1r44yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 10:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1r44yu View Post
Does it mean that one cylinder is not firing at start-up or even after start-up? According to numerous articles, opposite views are citied. Expert's views/suggestions/facts are needed to second that.

If only three cylinders are firing, even after start-up, it's a serious problem to run a three-pot engine!
What is the purpose of the Glow Plug. It acts as a 'hot spot' for the combustion, so in a cold engine, the cylinder may not work. However, once the engine warms up the cylinder starts firing.

Remember the glow plug is not powered on continuously, but only just before the engine is started. Many systems (esp DG sets) do not have any glow plugs.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote