Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2004, 13:12   #1
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Its been some 7k kms since my engine & Gear oils were changed.
I am using castrol GTX magnatec....
And for gear Oil I am using what the MASS put in....

Driving feel - Engine Oil feels ok.. but gear Oil seems like a poor quality one... it lost its smoothness 2-3K after the service.

Now I am planning to change both Oils before time....
I'd like to go for Mobil 1 as engine Oil
and I DON'T know what gear oil?

So guys.. suggest me some good gear oil... and its approx price.

And also do I need to put in some special Oil Filter with Mobil 1?

So whats the life of Mobil 1?... can I use it for... 20k?

Somehow I don't think I can spend more than 3k... so...

And AnyIdea.. is Mobil 1 or a good gear Oil available with the MASS... so that I don't have to buy from the market.. which is more than 50% duplicate.

BTW, If you don't remember... then, I drive a WagonR.
Old 13th September 2004, 01:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

i have been using mobil1 super syn fully synthetic oil
in my zen ,but avoid using it if ur car is a new one.
mobil 1 is the only oil i have been using after my second service.
u can a 4 liter can for around 1800rs.
the drain interval is longer with synthetic oils ,but to be on the safe side stick to watever interval ur manual recommends.

satya

Old 13th September 2004, 02:07   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.. My engine.. has done 43k.. so .. I have no problems...
So where do you buy Mobil 1 from?... Market or MASS (Maruti Auth.. Service..Statio..)?
If Market... you give the Oil can to MASS or get the change done locally?

And any particulars for Gear Oils?
Since I never (almost)... use a music system... I hear too much, and think that gear oil is also important.
Old 16th September 2004, 00:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

i get my mobil1 from a car accessory shop here.u cud go to any mercedes showroom .maybe it cud be a bit expensive there.dunno if they sell it to others .
ask s600benz,KS .maybe they cud help u
Old 25th November 2004, 01:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

buy from any car accessories shop.and u dont need to change synthetic oil as frequently as mineral oil.it can surely last for atleast 10K Kms.what is the use if ur going to cange such expensive oil regularly.mobil one is best.there is nearly no wear and tear.oil is good even after 10K.for gearbox ask the shop for mobil brand od gear oil.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine/Gear Oil?

The Gear/Transmission Oil Recommended for Tata Indigo LS (May 2004, 2,24,369kms) and Tata Indigo XL Grand Dicor (May 2007, 1,39,100kms) is EP80.
But I am unable to source the EP80 Grade of Gear Oil at any Lubricants Store/Petrol Pump in my city.

Is it OK to use 80W90 Gear Oil meeting EP (Extreme Pressure) Grade instead?

Please help on this.
Old 8th October 2011, 18:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The Gear/Transmission Oil Recommended for Tata Indigo LS and Tata Indigo XL Grand Dicor is EP80. But I am unable to source the EP80 Grade of Gear Oil at any Lubricants Store/Petrol Pump in my city. Is it OK to use 80W90 Gear Oil meeting EP (Extreme Pressure) Grade instead?
Sorry for the late reply but I do not think that you will get EP80 grade gear oils with the common lubricant stores. I also had checked for it in once at my neighborhood lubricant shops here in Calcutta but failed to procure it. Then I had a look at the Castrol website and detected one of the main dealers of Castrol lubricants in Calcutta and called him up. He had both 1 liter bottles as well as 4 liter jars but refused to sell me, as he was not supposed to sell anything on a retail basis. However, he could give me the name and address of someone from whom I could collect it.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Old 8th October 2011, 21:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for reply, Rahul.

But I would like to mention that after checking the bharatpetroleum website, I found that they have MAK Spirol EP80 Gear Oil.
Then I contacted the Mumbai Office and ask the Dealer/Distrubutor's name and address who sell this Oil in Solapur. I got the concerned person's no. and contacted him.

He told me that they have
1) MAK Spirol EP80, and
2) MAK Spirol EP80 recommended by Tata Motors for use in Indigo and Indica.
I purchased the 2nd one and have replaced the Gear Oil of Indigo XL Grand Dicor recently (3-4 days ago) and run about 250kms.
It cost me Rs. 705/-. The MRP was Rs.750/-

You too can contact Mumbai office at--
E-mail : MAKcustomercare2@bharatpetroleum.in
Tel No.: 022-22713792
Toll Free No.: 1800-22-4160
Old 20th July 2013, 16:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Average Shelf life of Engine/Gear Oil?

What is average shelf life of a Gear Oil?
When I asked a Sales Officer of Bharat Petroleum, he told me that it is around 5-6 years.
So there is no harm in using 3 years old (the pack I looked at was packed on Sept.2010) EP80 Gear Oil. He further stated that "Shake the can well (just as we shake the bottle of MAAZA before drinking. He literally said that) before pouring it in car. Thats it".

On the side note, I would also like to know the average shelf life of Engine Oil (Petrol as well as Diesel)?
Old 20th July 2013, 17:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add the following--

I have read that EP80 has particular viscosity at 100Deg C and EP80W has particular viscosity at 0Deg C.

Is there any harm if EP80W is used instead of EP80?
Old 20th July 2013, 17:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Average Shelf life of Engine/Gear Oil?

Quote:
What is average shelf life of a Gear Oil?
When I asked a Sales Officer of Bharat Petroleum, he told me that it is around 5-6 years.
So there is no harm in using 3 years old (the pack I looked at was packed on Sept.2010) EP80 Gear Oil. He further stated that "Shake the can well (just as we shake the bottle of MAAZA before drinking. He literally said that) before pouring it in car. Thats it".

On the side note, I would also like to know the average shelf life of Engine Oil (Petrol as well as Diesel)?
The guy is partially right. The shelf life can be as good as 5 years, that is no problem, but what affects it more is the condition in which it was stored. Of course, higher temperature, sunlight, moisture, etc can bring that down. Also, check the container's seal to make sure that the oil is not adulterated.

Well, I just could not get that 'shake well before drinking' theory on oils. There is nothing like sedimentation happening in there and once the oil is in the engine, it will keep 'shaking' its entire life there

Regards,
Saket
Old 20th July 2013, 20:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77
..but what affects it more is the condition in which it was stored. Of course, higher temperature, sunlight, moisture, etc can bring that down.
I am skeptical about the same.
Quote:
Also, check the container's seal to make sure that the oil is not adulterated.
I do check the seal everytime.
Quote:
Well, I just could not get that 'shake well before drinking' theory on oils. There is nothing like sedimentation happening in there and once the oil is in the engine, it will keep 'shaking' its entire life there
The Oil that has spent its life on a shelf for long time, the "Additives" (or the supplements whatever they may be called) may get settled at the bottom of the can.
I have seen some 'sludge' like substance at the bottom of the MAK 15W40 CI4 Engine Oil can. The Colour of Oil was Golden and the colour of 'sludge' was dark Golden (brown).I may be wrong, but it might be the additive also.
Or is it the sign of Expired Oil?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 20th July 2013 at 20:35.
Old 20th July 2013, 20:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen some 'sludge' like substance at the bottom of the MAK 15W40 CI4 Engine Oil can. The Colour of Oil was Golden and the colour of 'sludge' was dark Golden (brown).I may be wrong, but it might be the additive also.
I was advised not to buy engine oil from shops where they dispense from the large drums(loose oil, in common parlance) because of the same reason.
Old 20th July 2013, 21:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys
I was advised not to buy engine oil from shops where they dispense from the large drums(loose oil, in common parlance) because of the same reason.
Sorry if I was not clear.
I had bought Sealed 1 litre cans (not loose oil dispensed from large drums) and they had the 'sludge' type substance at the bottom.
Old 21st July 2013, 15:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

I have observed in some oil drums a stirrer kind of apparatus is present. They rotate it for sometime before pumping the oil. This I have observed in case of cooking oil dispensers in villages. Not engine oil
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks