Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2018, 17:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coolant liquid leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
It is a Golf 6. It has seen in 5 years roughly 100000 km! I got an expensive quote to get this fixed! Well I have no choice now. Got to fix it! I'm planning to change the water pump, drive belt, guide roller in one package.
Change whatever parts are required to be changed. Or you will be spending more than necessary. I assume you are someplace in Europe and labour is expensive.

Quote:
Should I ask them for the radiator, hoses and engine block as well? I'm not sure if they did this, but that would cost me additional money if I would do that.
They will charge you for extra labour but it will ensure at least you don't have another potential point of failure lurking somewhere else under the bonnet.

Quote:
Now tell me one thing, should I first replace the WP as per the mechanic, drive the car for a couple of days and observe it for further leakages? Should the problem not go away, I go back and check for the radiator, hoses and so on? Is this a valid approach? The problem for me is that the more I ask them now, the more they are going to charge and the more time it would take for me to get my car back.
Yes you can postpone further checks if you want to. But my sincere advice is to get the whole cooling system checked to prevent surprises whilst on the hwy and long distance journeys. Checking a system for leaks isn't difficult if they have the right tools.

If you really don't want to spend extra on labour, get the WP replaced & drive the car for a 1-2 days & check coolant levels. You'll immediately notice a drop in the overflow/pressure reservoir if there's a leak. Go back for further checks if it is necessary.
Old 30th April 2018, 18:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Yes you can postpone further checks if you want to. But my sincere advice is to get the whole cooling system checked to prevent surprises whilst on the hwy and long distance journeys. Checking a system for leaks isn't difficult if they have the right tools.

If you really don't want to spend extra on labour, get the WP replaced & drive the car for a 1-2 days & check coolant levels. You'll immediately notice a drop in the overflow/pressure reservoir if there's a leak. Go back for further checks if it is necessary.
Just came back from the mechanic. He showed me the leak under the bonnet and he told me that he is very certain that the leak is from the WP as he tried to apply pressure to the coolant container and he could see the parts directly under the WP to leak. It will get fixed and the car will be back on Thursday!

I have PM'ed you! Thanks for all the help!
Old 30th April 2018, 19:11   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Just came back from the mechanic. He showed me the leak under the bonnet and he told me that he is very certain that the leak is from the WP as he tried to apply pressure to the coolant container and he could see the parts directly under the WP to leak. It will get fixed and the car will be back on Thursday!
So he did a pressure test, the right way to test the system, and has found the culprit. Good! He seems to have the right tools and knowledge. But for a few Euro more or just sheer good will ask him to take a quick look at the rest of the cooling system (radiator cap, hoses, elbow connectors etc) only to be sure there are no other potential points of failure lurking there.

Quote:
I have PM'ed you! Thanks for all the help!
I've responded and you're most welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks