Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 12:59   #1
BHPian

octavia 1.9 TDI, 99k done, Is it time to get new piston rings ?

I have a octavia 1.9 TDI 2005 model, its has done some 99k on the meter. Though the engines still touch 150-160 easily on Highway and it gives a fairly good average of 13-14 in city and 17-18 on highway with 255/50/17 maxxis victra m35( dam good tyres), i feel that the acceleration has decreased a lot and the car engine seems to be struggling when i put the AC on .

I was wondering if someone could put some light on this issue or share his experience. I have some other issues also with my car like engine shivering and making some strange sound when i start in first gear but i suppose i should discuss this later.

This might be my first post in long time, so please educate me if i go wrong somewhere.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi rishirich27,

Its pretty hard to diagnose symptoms like that over the internet.

What i suggest you start with is a basic compression test. That should give you an idea about how well your rings have held up - as well as perhaps pinpoint a particular cylinder where there might be a problem.

Post the results here.

cya
R

PS - Given that this is a 1.9TDi, which is supposed to run on and on this is a bit strange. Perhaps it could also be a turbo related issue?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th April 2010 at 13:15.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi rishirich27,

Its pretty hard to diagnose symptoms like that over the internet.

What i suggest you start with is a basic compression test. That should give you an idea about how well your rings have held up - as well as perhaps pinpoint a particular cylinder where there might be a problem.

Post the results here.

cya
R

PS - Given that this is a 1.9TDi, which is supposed to run on and on this is a bit strange. Perhaps it could also be a turbo related issue?
+1 to what Rehaan suggested. My friend's 1.9 octy gave the same kind of trouble and it was an issue with the turbo which had to be replaced. He used it for another year or so without trouble but now upgraded to a Jetta .
Old 20th April 2010, 14:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

After you have sorted this issue and when you get time, please also post your experiences on:
1. Skoda Service Experience
2. General Cost of Service
Would love to hear from a Skoda owner who has clocked near a lakh kilometers.
Also your reported mileage of "13-14 in city and 17-18 on highway" doesn't match with many of my friends who claim "20 in city". Were you getting the same mileage from the start?
Old 20th April 2010, 14:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
After you have sorted this issue and when you get time, please also post your experiences on:
1. Skoda Service Experience
2. General Cost of Service
Would love to hear from a Skoda owner who has clocked near a lakh kilometers.
Also your reported mileage of "13-14 in city and 17-18 on highway" doesn't match with many of my friends who claim "20 in city". Were you getting the same mileage from the start?
Hi Jino,

Cost of service is expensive no doubt, but Skoda service is better in south

BTW 20KMPL in city seems to be an exaggerated figure , never heard anything above 16KMPL average in mixed driving and some of them claimed 20KMPL in long drives.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan, i will go for compression test soon. And as far as my service experience if concerned i had stop going to skoda SS 2 years back (had a fight over my clutch problem- big story), i go my local mechanic, he is a good mechanic and i stand there right next to the hood and get all things done, i personally see all the spare and make sure they are original. A little dusty and sweaty thing to do, but gives me a lot of satisfaction. When used to go to Skoda SS it used to cost something like 4000-4500 now it costs me some 1600 Rs cheaper as labor charges are way less and engine oil is also cheaper. I used to use Mobil Delvac till now it used to cost some 1200 for 5 ltr, but this time i have decided to try Petronas Urania it 900 for 5 ltrs.

Average of the car was a little more in city earlier but highway used to be same as i have a very heavy foot, when i go to delhi from chandigarh i normally am above 120 and occasionally tough 150-160. If i drive on highway constantly at 80-90 then i get a 19-20 figure sometimes.

Rest i enjoy driving this car a lot, it fun driving and these 255/55/17 give me a dam solid control on the high speed.
Old 20th April 2010, 18:41   #7
BHPian

An Octy will make a real mess of reaching 150-160 with a failed turbo - it will get there but will take real long. Since you have mentionbed it touched 150-160 'easily' I guess you can take a failed turbo out of the equation. However, you are also mentioning that the acceleration has decreased 'a lot' - if it has then it should not get to 150-160 'easily'. I also think the engine performance has to do something with your choice of engine oils. Skoda recommends Shell Helix or similar - you will get Shell Helix Super (mineral oil) for around Rs 450 per liter and Shell Helix Ultra (synthetic oil) for around 825 per liter. I prefer the Ultra and have noticed a definite improvement in engine noise, FE and smoothness with its useage over the mineral variety of Shell. Next time, try getting a better engine oil and see if it makes a difference.

BTW I also get the car serviced from outside - buy all the stuff myself and am present near the car at all times during servicing. Left going to Skoda A.S.* after they put in Super and billed me for Ultra at Rs 800/l and put water and billed me for coolant at Rs200/l

On the average front - the numbers look consistent. My Octy also has similar FE with AC on. Without AC - add 2 more to those numbers. However, I also drive fast on highways with less consideration for FE. The max I have got in a crusing kind of a situation is 25kmpl - from Chandigarh to Delhi (drove between 90-100). Overall max - 31kmpl over a stretch of 60 kms - but then I was crusing downhill (from Shimla)

Last edited by Cesc : 20th April 2010 at 18:48.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

As suggested by Rehaan already, The best way to know if your car needs new pistons rings is to get a compression test. Does your car consume engine oil?

99k kms is too early for a Octavia TDi to require piston rings, Did you get the clutch checked?

255 width tires are too wide for Octavia. Most cars in Chandigarh have wider than widest tires installed.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:27   #9
BHPian

oppppppppppps, i am extremely sorry to all, it was just after anshuman's reply i realised that i have committed a big mistake here on the thread tyre size is 225/50/17, i earlier had a safari and that had 255/65/15, somehow i just typed that sorry for that.

255 would actually be too wide for octavia. Sorry people.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
255 width tires are too wide for Octavia. Most cars in Chandigarh have wider than widest tires installed.
255 - Holy Cow . At first read I thought it was 225. Only when Anshuman posted did I realize it is 255.

That's a 8% difference to the stock tyre. Can a car run trouble-free with that kind of a upsize?
Old 21st April 2010, 11:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
However, I also drive fast on highways with less consideration for FE. The max I have got in a crusing kind of a situation is 25kmpl - from Chandigarh to Delhi (drove between 90-100). Overall max - 31kmpl over a stretch of 60 kms - but then I was crusing downhill (from Shimla)

Even in downhill, 31KMPL is something very very good since you have to run in low gears. 25KMPL in long drive is also good return for your investment.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:22   #12
BHPian

I am getting 17~18 KM/L with 100% AC on. This includes both highway and city driving.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you want to touch anything with cylinder, rings or piston, get the compression tested.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:38   #14
BHPian

I am also using mobile delvac mx 15-40. I feel marginal drop in pickup in full load. May be related to tyre pressure. I am maintaining 30 psi all around and fitted Michelin energy mvx8 195 65 R 15. Skoda recommends 35 psi all around in full load.

Last edited by Ramesh75 : 21st April 2010 at 13:39.
Old 21st April 2010, 18:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post

Even in downhill, 31KMPL is something very very good since you have to run in low gears. 25KMPL in long drive is also good return for your investment.
Low gears yes - but you hardly touch the accelerator. So the rpms stay down and FE goes northwards . On the 25KMPL trip (Chandigarh to Delhi) - Wifey was pregnant and was therefore driving with utmost caution. Staying in a speed-band with no jerks.

Contrast that with a journey I undertook 2 weeks ago. Bhatinda to Hisar - a distance of roughly 160 kms done in under 2 hours. Took the Octy up to 180 a couple of times. The FE - a lowly 14.

On the whole I would say the Octy diesel in terms of FE is very good VFM.

Engine performance also holds up pretty well with engine age - if you treat her well that is. I know of at least 3 Octys within striking distance of 100k kms running absolutely trouble free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks