Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 12:09   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 Gearshift Issues?

Yesterday, I took a test drive of both i10 and i20 at Advait Hyundai on outer ring road, Blr.

While i10 gearshift was silky smooth, and drive was good, i20 failed to impress.

Gear shift was pretty bad, Clutch had a fairly long play. The person suggested that I push the clutch all the way down. The gearshift quality in comparison to i10 was glaring. While I was very impressed with the interior quality and space, this seriously damaged my impressions of the car.

The salesman gave some feeble excuse that this is because the car has run 35000 km. That does not make sense since I would like to use the car for at least 100000km and if this car progressively degrades, I definitely would not like to buy.

My question, is this an exception rather than the rule?.. Has others experienced the same?.. Can i20 owners please comment.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:28   #2
BHPian

My I-20's gearbox is "makkhan"
Old 26th April 2010, 12:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
My question, is this an exception rather than the rule?.. Has others experienced the same?.. Can i20 owners please comment.
More of an exception than a rule. 35000 kms on a test drive vehicle is equivalent to maybe double (or even more) of that mileage of a well driven and well looked after vehicle. How the test drive vehicle is maintained is completely left to a particular dealer and finding a well maintained test drive vehicle is IMO more of an exception than a norm.

When I went for a test drive of the i20 at Continental Hyundai, Mumbai, I found the car vibrating at idle and I thought that it was unacceptable for a premium hatch. But subsequent test drives later - with other dealers and on a friend's car, these vibrations were completely missing.

I suggest you don't reject the i20 just yet. Get a drive from another dealer and then check if your impressions are the same.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree with holysmoke, i20's gearshift is great. See the test drive vehicle has been tortured by all sorts of people who want to do the max possible in a TD vehicle and this results in many problems which otherwise won't happen in a well maintained vehicle.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:18   #5
BHPian

I own a 1.2 Asta and so far i have been impressed with the gearshift. It is smooth.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

shankaranand, I had the same experience. I was not able to slot the gears properly in i20.Found the gear shift in Figo and Polo much better. Polo being the pick of the lot.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the silver i20 asta of advaith hyundai when the odo on that car was reading 27K kms (a couple of months back) and it was Silky Smooth.
My friend bought a silver Asta himself and i've been driving that regularly.
His car's odo reads 2000 kms now and it is really smooth!
The car that you test drove, was it a petrol or diesel?
I found the clutch and gears on the diesel a bit rough.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 26th April 2010, 14:22   #8
BHPian

Thanks for all the feedback.

The manager from Advait Hyundai called this afternon. After I shared my experience, he has offered to arrange another vehicle for test drive tomorrow. Will drive and post my comments.

Over all, Customer responsiveness of Hyundai is truly impressive. They attended promptly when i visited the showroom. Test vehicle was ready and available in minutes. Staff were courteous.

Contrast this with Pratham Motors on the ORR. I have been there 3 times, only to find nobody to attend, price lists which have been Xerox copies of what was once a good copy.

Folks at Pratham just dont care. I have heard good comments about Bimal, will check it out shortly.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:39   #9
BHPian

even i felt that the gears were not smooth during the test drive of i20 crdi. particularly the first gear wont engage easily. also i found that the clutch had to be pressed a long way down..
Old 26th April 2010, 15:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't own an i20, but had a pal's with me for 2 weeks last year. I felt the gear shift was top class, as good as my Fiesta's.
Old 26th April 2010, 16:50   #11

I own a i20 Magna Petrol and haven't faced any problems with the gear shift. Sorry for being out of place, but I would like to add that in my recent visit to the Hyundai Motor Plaza for my car's first service (last week), there was a team of engineers who had come directly from the plant and were taking feedback on the i20 from random users. I was quite impressed with the detailed feedback they took from me about the gear shift, transmission problems, if any etc. The clutch is a genuine concern and the pickup in 2nd gear is a bit of a letdown. I was informed that in September, Hyundai is coming out with a revamped engine for the i20. Guess Polo & Figo have had a big impact on Hyundai.
Old 27th April 2010, 05:05   #12
BHPian

Was it the gear shift or the clutch release that you had an issue with... It maybe something to do with the clutch play. If you are not used to a long clutch play in a car you may feel the shift to be a little rough... especially if you are already throttling the accelerator while the clutch is not fully engaged.
As you mentioned, try your test drive on another car for a better feel.
Old 27th April 2010, 08:08   #13
BANNED

I found the gear shift is very smooth in i20 , but some times its difficult to shift in to reverse gear.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:35   #14
BHPian

Except the santro and i1o i have never liked hyundai gearbox as i had a verna diesel and the gearbox was killing the brilliant engine
Old 16th May 2010, 18:53   #15

I own a i20 CRDi and the gearbox is pretty smooth. There is a little hesitation when slotting from 1st to 2nd. But everything else is silky smooth. Since my car has only seen 1 servicing so far, I am hoping that will also improve after the 2nd servicing.

The clutch does have a long play and that is something you need to get used to. But it is a matter of driving it for a few days and then you don't even notice it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks