Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 10:33   #1
BHPian

Clarification on Swift headlamps wiring

Yesterday I noticed that in my Swift, the headlamps are not going temporarily OFF while cranking the engine. Accessories are having a temporary cut off while cranking. In my previous car, headlamps also used to go off and come back once the ignition key is back to the normal position. It is of course a nice idea to disconnect the headlamps temporarily while cranking to help the battery. Is it like this in Swift, or am I having a wiring issue ? Experts, advice
Old 14th June 2010, 11:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Swift headlamps are wired to turn off when the engine is cranked.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Yesterday I noticed that in my Swift, the headlamps are not going temporarily OFF while cranking the engine. Accessories are having a temporary cut off while cranking. In my previous car, headlamps also used to go off and come back once the ignition key is back to the normal position. It is of course a nice idea to disconnect the headlamps temporarily while cranking to help the battery. Is it like this in Swift, or am I having a wiring issue ? Experts, advice
The lights will dim but not switch off. But either ways, thumb rule is to ensure all electrical equipment like lights, AC, music system are switched off while starting you car to prevent load on the battery.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
In my previous car,...
Hi,
Which was your previous car? Tata cars have this option to cut-off the accessory loads like AC & headlamps while cranking. But I am sorry, no idea about the swift.
-Ilango
Old 14th June 2010, 13:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, In a Ford IKON headlights don't go off while cranking. Just the accessories go off. I guess in tata vehicles headlights go off, not in Maruthi.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The lights will dim but not switch off. But either ways, thumb rule is to ensure all electrical equipment like lights, AC, music system are switched off while starting you car to prevent load on the battery.
The lights dimming is just because of the sudden dip in battery lead voltage due to heavy current consumption by the starter. Means swift is not wired to cut off head lamps load while cranking. In earlier days it was the driver's duty to ensure all these things. But my concept was in newer generation ones, its handled by the wiring logic by de-energizing the relay while cranking the engine. In fact in my Xeta, it was like that. I think the head lamps if in ON condition will pull out a considerable energy of the headlamps. So a temporary shut off could have been a wise logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi,
Which was your previous car? Tata cars have this option to cut-off the accessory loads like AC & headlamps while cranking. But I am sorry, no idea about the swift.
-Ilango
All Tata cars have implemented this technique. My previous car was Indica Xeta which will even shuts off park lamps and fog lamps while cranking.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Means swift is not wired to cut off head lamps load while cranking. In earlier days it was the driver's duty to ensure all these things. But my concept was in newer generation ones, its handled by the wiring logic by de-energizing the relay while cranking the engine. So a temporary shut off could have been a wise logic.
Knowing Japanese engineers' obsession for quality,there has to be some logic for not building in the headlamp shut off logic.Maybe it is to save on a relay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks