Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2012, 21:04   #241
Team-BHP Support

re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Akshay, do you fill up regular unleaded for your vRS, or go for something premium like the Speed 97?
Old 22nd December 2012, 21:42   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Akshay, do you fill up regular unleaded for your vRS, or go for something premium like the Speed 97?
Regular unleaded most of the time, but Speed 97 once in a while. It does make the engine seem much more happy, and the acceleration too is probably slightly better. But its just too expensive for everyday use, so only when I have a long drive planned or something.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 17:22   #243
BHPian

Running Speed on this car in summers is recommended, as IATs go thru the roof affecting performance and creating knock on regular feul. 97 is a huge fun thing to do to this car, but I agree that its a little expensive to do regularly.
Old 24th December 2012, 18:02   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

What's IAT?
And how about the premium unleaded that is sold by Shell?
Is it equal to Speed 97?
Old 24th December 2012, 18:25   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Running Speed on this car in summers is recommended, as IATs go thru the roof affecting performance and creating knock on regular feul. 97 is a huge fun thing to do to this car, but I agree that its a little expensive to do regularly.
I understand, but the IATs wouldn't go that high being driven sedately would it? And the car is driver driven *runs away with embarrassment* most of the time. I take it out at nights, and at that time the ambient temperature would be much lower. But still a valid point by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What's IAT?
And how about the premium unleaded that is sold by Shell?
Is it equal to Speed 97?
Intake air temperature.

I don't think premium unleaded by Shell is 97 octane, how much is it per litre?
Old 24th December 2012, 18:33   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell premium unleaded was @85 last month when Shell regular I filled was @72.
Old 24th December 2012, 19:41   #247
BHPian

I do regular unleaded for about 90% time in my vRS. While on the whole I agree that the TSI likes the extra octane, this one time when I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic with Speed 97 in the tank, I thought I was able to discern a little engine knock in 2nd gear. Maybe Akshay can corroborate?

Speed 97 definitely preferable for long drives though. I'd even say the engine has a cleaner note.

Quote:
What's IAT?
IAT stands for Intake Air Temperature. The IAT sensor detects the air mass information necessary for the engine control unit (ECU) to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. This is because air changes its density as it expands and contracts with temperature and pressure. Hence it becomes necessary to determine the quantity of air in each piston stroke of the engine for the right/accurate level of combustion.

For more related information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor

Last edited by Omtoatom : 24th December 2012 at 19:45.
Old 24th December 2012, 20:21   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

I understand, but the IATs wouldn't go that high being driven sedately would it? And the car is driver driven *runs away with embarrassment* most of the time. I take it out at nights, and at that time the ambient temperature would be much lower. But still a valid point by you.

Intake air temperature.

I don't think premium unleaded by Shell is 97 octane, how much is it per litre?
See in a NA car OATs have less of an impact unless you rev it to redline. But turbo cars compress air further which increases the temp to very high levels, which is why an intercooler is put in place. Most skodas run without intercoolers, so ambient temp + turbo = veryhigh IATs, and combined with bad feul can spell disaster in the long run. Why you ask... High IAT + low grade fuel, ignites the mix before your sprak, causing knock. Here is where premium fuel helps, as its ignition temps are higher than normal grade, improves knock resistance, even with high IATs.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 02:25   #249
Team-BHP Support

So I took the car out tonight, went for about a 40km drive. Enjoyed myself thoroughly, the tsi engine and the 6 speed manual was a great chance from the other A/Ts I've been driving. The car was pulling really, really well. Then went to a friends place, and when I came back down and started it I saw the low oil light is on. Drove it for a few mins very slowly and carefully, then decided to stop on the side and call Skoda 24 hour assistance. I dialed the 1800 number and after choosing the options in about 2 minutes I was speaking to the person, who then asked me a couple of questions. Told him the light was yellow, not red and he said its fine to drive till my house, but I will need to get it topped up tomorrow. Also if it turned red, I should stop the car and call them back.

Honestly, I was impressed with the service. But not so with the car, it went for a service not even 2000kms ago. The engine oil was changed in the first service. It shouldn't be low so quickly. Anyway will get it topped up tomorrow and see what the service centre guys have to say.

The car is now at 14,7xx kms. Running like a dream besides for this. Its really a good fun car. In fact I'm thinking of taking this if I sell the Accord, and getting the Petes stage 1 done to the car.
Old 10th January 2013, 11:38   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So I took the car out tonight, went for about a 40km drive. Enjoyed myself thoroughly, the tsi engine and the 6 speed manual was a great chance from the other A/Ts I've been driving. The car was pulling really, really well. Then went to a friends place, and when I came back down and started it I saw the low oil light is on. Drove it for a few mins very slowly and carefully, then decided to stop on the side and call Skoda 24 hour assistance. I dialed the 1800 number and after choosing the options in about 2 minutes I was speaking to the person, who then asked me a couple of questions. Told him the light was yellow, not red and he said its fine to drive till my house, but I will need to get it topped up tomorrow. Also if it turned red, I should stop the car and call them back.

Honestly, I was impressed with the service. But not so with the car, it went for a service not even 2000kms ago. The engine oil was changed in the first service. It shouldn't be low so quickly. Anyway will get it topped up tomorrow and see what the service centre guys have to say.

The car is now at 14,7xx kms. Running like a dream besides for this. Its really a good fun car. In fact I'm thinking of taking this if I sell the Accord, and getting the Petes stage 1 done to the car.
Low oil on turbo cars is sadly 'normal'. But low oil in 2000kms is worrying. Check your seals, particularly turbo oil lines.
Old 10th January 2013, 13:11   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

So chances are they underfilled engine oil during last service.
They are very smart. The difference between MIN to MAX is around 1 liter, so my theory is if they fill such that the level reaches mid-way, they save half a liter per car. And if you really want to see the level go down you have to park the car for a couple of days and nights and then check - it can even touch MIN :-)

Good luck with Skoda.
Old 10th January 2013, 13:16   #252
Senior - BHPian

You did not check the oil levels after the servicing? If so, I would call that sacrilegious at least with Skoda's infamous Service reputation. I suggest you should open the bonnet once every tank fill or at least once in a month and check the oil levels for these turbo charged engines which are known to eat oil. That's what I do.

Last edited by dkaile : 10th January 2013 at 13:17.
Old 10th January 2013, 15:35   #253
Senior - BHPian

The TSI's are known to drink oil much more than their TDI brothers but this is insane and cant be attributed to the normal oil consumption of your engine, the level cant go down within 2000 kms if everything is right with the car, that pretty much brings us to the conclusion that the service centre pulled a fast one and didnt fill in the required/billed quantity.

Do personally supervise how much oil gets in now and send a strong worded mail to SKODA, dkaile can help you with some good contacts and ring some bells as to these cheap tactics being played.

I request every one to have a look at the engine oil after every service to make sure that they dont fill less or fill more than required, filling more than required could be even bad.
Old 10th January 2013, 16:51   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sure they underfill.

At first service, I kept a watch so they filled honestly. The car did not consume much or any oil until second service and the warning lamp did not glow ever. At second service, I was distracted by some other issue and some warranty claim for reverse gear sensor, etc and did not "watch" them. After a few days, I checked the level and it was just above the MIN.

I think they follow the Pirates code:

Take what you can, give nothing back .
Old 10th January 2013, 18:14   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So chances are they underfilled engine oil during last service.
They are very smart. The difference between MIN to MAX is around 1 liter, so my theory is if they fill such that the level reaches mid-way, they save half a liter per car. And if you really want to see the level go down you have to park the car for a couple of days and nights and then check - it can even touch MIN :-)

Good luck with Skoda.
Yes seems like they did fill in less in the last service. The odd thing is, when I was showing them the car, they opened up the hood and checked and said it would need a litre. But then when I started the car the low oil light disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You did not check the oil levels after the servicing? If so, I would call that sacrilegious at least with Skoda's infamous Service reputation. I suggest you should open the bonnet once every tank fill or at least once in a month and check the oil levels for these turbo charged engines which are known to eat oil. That's what I do.
To be honest, I'm quite happy with the service they have been providing, so I didn't check it. Either way my driver should have checked it, but I guess he forgot. From what I have read around the oil consumption becomes minimal by 10k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The TSI's are known to drink oil much more than their TDI brothers but this is insane and cant be attributed to the normal oil consumption of your engine, the level cant go down within 2000 kms if everything is right with the car, that pretty much brings us to the conclusion that the service centre pulled a fast one and didnt fill in the required/billed quantity.

Do personally supervise how much oil gets in now and send a strong worded mail to SKODA, dkaile can help you with some good contacts and ring some bells as to these cheap tactics being played.

I request every one to have a look at the engine oil after every service to make sure that they dont fill less or fill more than required, filling more than required could be even bad.
The TSI is an oil drinker, but it shouldn't after 10k kms. I guess the service guys made a mistake, don't think these guys would do it purposely. I intend on checking the oil now after every service. No need for escalation or contacts, after all the service manager is the one who attends to me lol.

So I dropped the car off for them to top up the oil. Also asked them to give me another 1l bottle so I can keep in the boot. The car was pulling to the left so told them to do alignment too. Also there was a noise from the passenger seat when no one sat it in, getting that looked at and also a suspension retorque. After last monsoons, I saw the running boards were getting really dirty because I hadn't opted for the mudflaps, but asked them to fit the mudflaps now too since I'd rather make the car look a bit worse than have dirt stuck to the running boards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks